BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #23
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

The two packages I'm most interested in are the Premium and the Comp packages. While I would like both, I think in all likelyhood, I'd be choosing one of those two. Decisions, decsions...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #24
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Moving on to P car already??
I will move on to P car, yes. Not immediately though.
      07-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
The two packages I'm most interested in are the Premium and the Comp packages. While I would like both, I think in all likelyhood, I'd be choosing one of those two. Decisions, decsions...
I think comp package has more value compared to prem package.
      07-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #26
Chrisfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Moped

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I think comp package has more value compared to prem package.
Agreed. If you are going to track it I would think it's a must. Still though, it's your car so order it the way you want it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
I was originally going to do ED before scheduling challenges and a tempting JZB beauty on the log changed my plans.

If I were to do it over again, I would get only:
  • Competition Package. I like the lowered suspension, and there are slight EDC and traction control changes that appeal to me. The wheels are of course pretty, although that's less of a requirement for me, as there are many gorgeous aftermarket wheels I love.
  • DCT. I confess I love it! However, I'm not 100% on it, as 6MT has much to recommend it. About half of my cars have been stick, and I've missed enough shifts over the years to know that I'd definitely not want to slack in the M3. Also, with the exception of a 335si I test drove, I've not been thrilled with BMW's stick shifts' feel, even on my old 320i. (OTOH I love the Porsche GT3RS stick feel! No way I'd opt for double-clutch if I were getting that car.)
  • Carbon Fiber Roof. My car came with the moon roof, and I never use it. If I want the open-car feel, I lower my windows, which is less noisy and blowy than the moon roof. And the carbon fiber roof gives you more headroom, which may not make a difference just sitting in the car but can be all the difference with a helmet on at the track!
  • Premium Sound (maybe). I confess, I love clear sound, and am not sure I'd want Car Toys boys ripping my dash apart to install an aftermarket system, no matter how superior.
  • M Performance Exhaust. Wowie! Be sure to haggle on price for this. There are deals out there that are close to $1k off MSRP.
  • EDC. See my notes above about competition package. I also like being able to go from comfort mode on bumpy highways to sport mode on twisty roads and track.
  • Cold Weather Package. Required in colder climes if you're driving in winter. Minimum heated seats. The headlight washer lamps I could live without, tbh.

That's it.

What I probably would not bother getting is:
  • Nav. The nav is pretty crappy. (It was in 2008, with the DVD system; now it's just as crappy, but driven off of a SSD.) It does not tell you what side of the street your destination is on. It has completely incorrect maps in some areas. For example, my mother's 40yo neighborhood is missing. An "exempt" rail line nearby is on the map, but an active freight line is not. And entering new destinations is a fracking nightmare with the iDrive. And once the car is a few years old, your basic phone will be offering better GPS features. In fact, that's already the case!
  • PDC. Convenient, but not sure I really need it.
  • Leather Seats. Don't get me wrong, they are gorgeous. But the fabric looks pretty good, and holds up well, I understand. And it may be cooler when it's hot out.
  • Convenience Package. Comfort access is sweet, but doesn't work enough that I end up using the key buttons anyway, and not having to put the key in the ignition is a minor convenience for the money.

What I would add/replace immediately after:
  • Tires. My car had Continentals, which were okay until I took them to the track. Ugh! Greasy squealy slippery tires! Currently I have Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08s and love them! For tracking, I'm looking at replacing wheels and tires, leaving my ZCP rims clean and relieving my street tires of track duty.
  • Grilles. The chrome grilles are okay, but blacked-out looks better imho. Keep the OEMs for all-stock mode during resale later.
  • Angel Eyes. I have not done this (yet).
  • Lip or replacement bumper. Right now I'm coveting the GT4 lip, which provides space for ducting your brakes. But it's a pretty penny for a lip. For aesthetic purposes, though, lips add only so much (and often detract), whereas replacement bumpers can really improve a car's look. (I like dnvrdrvr's Ericsson bumper.)
  • Racing seats and 4/6-point harness. My OEM seats are bruising my ribs at the track.
  • Window tinting. An M3 without it almost looks naked.
  • Clear bra or maybe even Satin Guard. Protect the paint, but make sure it's done by a top shop because a crappy job is extra crappy to look at.

Last edited by llis; 07-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: adding EDC, Cold weather package, convenience package
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 RS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Somewhat in the same boat, I'm close to ordering a new 2011.75 E90 to replace my 2008. For my needs I've got it optioned the way I want but the only thing up in the air is EDC. I have it on my 2008 and use it occasionally but most of the time I'm in Normal... just not certain I need/want it or if its worth the extra $30 per month.
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #29
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

rear PDC saved me within my first week of ownership in regards to nearly backing into a black car in a dark parking lot.

As mentioned, I would weigh how you are going to use the car to base which options you get.

If its a DD, you'll want to look heavily into the convienence and premium packages. If you have another car you drive as well then you probably don't "need" these packages.

If you forsee yourself going full aftermarket suspension/brakes for serious track duty you probably don't need the ZCP package since you'll end up replacing a majority of those components. But if you just like to drive on the track and aren't looking to become an amateur race driver the ZCP is a very nice package for track duty. All you'd have to do is upgrade brake lines, pads, and fluids (probably go BBK to be done with it if you track a lot every year) and she'd be good to go for "fun" duty.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #30
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I've got a new M3 on order, I have it pretty much fully loaded. It is tough to add some of these after-the-fact, an I always like my cars with most of the options. I didn't order the Cold Weather Package, I don't care for the headlight squirters.

Here's what I've ordered, I think they're all "must haves":

Competition Package ZCP
Premium Package 2 ZP2
Convenience Package ZCV
M-DCT w/Drivelogic 2MK
Enhanced Premium Sound 752
BMW Apps 6NR
Heated Front Seats 494
Black Novillo Extended Leather NDSW
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #31
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

thats a tough one, for "me personally" i have to have Nav bc i use it all the time, i am terrible with directions. But it really boils down to the end user looking at what they are buying the car for. Is it a track car a DD, etc then once they established what the cars purpose will be then you can go through the pkg and click what you need.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #32
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

navi is a must
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #33
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

I just ordered a AW E90 M3 with the following must have options in my book:

Interior: Fox Red Leather
Transmission: M-DCT
Wheels: 19' Forged
Convenience Package
Heated Seats
Split Rear Folding seats
Rear Park Sensor
BMW Assist with Blue tooth

I struggled long and hard with the options list before I settled on the above. Its a Performance Center Deliver this fall

In the words of my fiance-why would we order a $60k car with no leather or navigation??
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #34
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I just ordered a AW E90 M3 with the following must have options in my book:

Interior: Fox Red Leather
Transmission: M-DCT
Wheels: 19' Forged
Convenience Package
Heated Seats
Split Rear Folding seats
Rear Park Sensor
BMW Assist with Blue tooth

I struggled long and hard with the options list before I settled on the above. Its a Performance Center Deliver this fall

In the words of my fiance-why would we order a $60k car with no leather or navigation??
What about ZCP?

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #35
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

ZCP and Tech. Package. Add cold weather package if you want to increase your cars value when selling.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #36
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Agreed. You can get a $30K Honda with leather/navi. Both are extremely useful, IMO, even if you have a smart phone w/navi. Plus, they both help resale value. You may not get exactly what you paid out of those two options, but I think there is a good chance someone could completely pass on your car if you're missing either/both.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #37
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

Quote:
Moving on to P car already??

HAHA I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. It's back-ordered like a mofo!

OP - gotta get ZCP. Trust me, you will regret it if you don't.
+ 1 . will help future resale value in my opinion too

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #38
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What about ZCP?
I researched about this like heck before deciding. It seems most people drive just fine without EDC.

Unlike the E46 M3-sadly the E9x does not come with ZCP brakes.

If I needed a lower ride height-I can go with Eibach Springs and Koni Yellows down the road when the current shocks are shot. Plus I like the 19 Forged wheels better considering they are stronger as well.

I'd rather save that $2,500 for a BBK and a set of track wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #39
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Quote:
What about ZCP?
I researched about this like heck before deciding.

If I needed a lower ride height-I can go with Eibach Springs and Koni Yellows down the road when the current shocks are shot. Plus I like the 19 Forged wheels better considering they are stronger as well.
Oh boy.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #40
Chrisfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Moped

Quote:
I researched about this like heck before deciding. It seems most people drive just fine without EDC.

I'd rather save that $2,500 for a BBK and a set of track wheels.

Ummm.......Yeah....... I may be new to the forum, but not new to M3's. I think you're a little bit wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #41
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfast View Post
Ummm.......Yeah....... I may be new to the forum, but not new to M3's. I think you're a little bit wrong.
Does the ZCP on the E9X come with Competition brakes?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #42
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverap1 View Post
None
Exactly
      07-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #43
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is the obsession with leather? Why do you have to have leather in a car? I HATE leather.
      07-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #44
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

I think the only "must" on the M3 is the Competition Package, M-DCT transmission, and the iPod.

I was turned off by the hump in the middle of the dash. I spent the balance of my budget on the leather seats (and wish I'd gotten carbon fiber trim).