BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Wheels | Tires | Spacers

02-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

New Product Release: HRE 18" Monoblock for BMW

We just got update from HRE
They will officially launch the 18"Monoblock for Porsche, Ferrari, and BMW

The new 18” Monoblok is going one step further and is targeting the performance enthusiast with a lightweight aggressive mesh design. Here are some key points about the HRE 18” Monoblok

• Aggressively engineered design to reduce rotational inertia a maximize weight savings.
• Load rated to TUV 650 kg.
• Single piece forged design allows direct TPMS replacement.
• Optimize back pads for additional weight saving based on PCD size.
• Porsche 18x8.5” weighs 17 lbs.
• Available widths are 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 11, and 12 for the initial release.

[Quote from HRE]

Suggested Retail Price: $5200/Set

Name:  mesh_18lo.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  92.2 KB

Last edited by Ryan@IND; 03-09-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

17 lbs? That's awesome, I'm sure the price will be pretty high. However, please let me know when you have some pricing info.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD

Last edited by JC919; 02-23-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

dig it
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 1M

Very interested in this new rim. Please keep us informed of the details. I always wanted to source an aftermarket rim in a larger size but the roads in Louisiana just wont allow it.
I have ruined 2 tires so far on my stock 19's due to bad roads. Just tired of throwing away money, it is bad enough that apparently my tax dollars aren't enough to remedy the road situation. What gives!!!!!! Vented now, feel better....
11' BMW 1M
15' Mercedes GL 350 (wife's daily)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Can we get more info regarding widths, offsets, and weights specific for the M3?

Also will these clear various 380mm front BBK?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
TonyTone
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 VERT

Looks great!!
      02-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Any info on how it's made?
Looks a little like the APEX wheel wth the large center for easy access to the lugs/bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovman View Post
Very interested in this new rim. Please keep us informed of the details. I always wanted to source an aftermarket rim in a larger size but the roads in Louisiana just wont allow it.
I have ruined 2 tires so far on my stock 19's due to bad roads. Just tired of throwing away money, it is bad enough that apparently my tax dollars aren't enough to remedy the road situation. What gives!!!!!! Vented now, feel better....
Just get the tire insurance!!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Are they going to be is pricey as the Fall Line HREs?
      02-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Are these race only wheels? JWL requirement for 18" bmw wheels is 690KGS. It's an industry standard. That's even lower then the requirement for 17" wheels (660).

Not sure why you'd want to make track wheels weaker then street wheels when cars routinely two wheel on the track transferring a lot of load, hit huge berms, or go off track which routinely damages wheels.

Not sure how they'll make them weight competitive to the rest of the 18" wheel market anyway with that deep mounting pad, they'll surely be heavier then wheels like Volk and other wheels currently available if they were built to the same specs. Only thing that could make them lighter is the lower load rating as stated, but that would no longer be an apples to apples wheel comparison. So if they're lighter, then it's only because they're weaker.

This is becoming a trend it seems...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
Are these race only wheels? JWL requirement for 18" bmw wheels is 690KGS. It's an industry standard. That's even lower then the requirement for 17" wheels (660).

Not sure why you'd want to make track wheels weaker then street wheels when cars routinely two wheel on the track transferring a lot of load, hit huge berms, or go off track which routinely damages wheels.

Not sure how they'll make them weight competitive to the rest of the 18" wheel market anyway with that deep mounting pad, they'll surely be heavier then wheels like Volk and other wheels currently available if they were built to the same specs. Only thing that could make them lighter is the lower load rating as stated, but that would no longer be an apples to apples wheel comparison. So if they're lighter, then it's only because they're weaker.

Say that to the 18" Forgestar rated at 540KGS...

I`m sure the 650KGS is probably for the Porsche 18" front which is ok for that vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Didn't those go for something like $6,000!!! And you know they're not 8,000TON forged like the NEEZ-7
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I wonder how that imperfect circular shape with 26 flat sides will affect the ride quality and performance... Will it be able to hold air?
      02-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Didn't those go for something like $6,000!!! And you know they're not 8,000TON forged like the NEEZ-7
Really? What kind of forge process do these go through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I wonder how that imperfect circular shape with 26 flat sides will affect the ride quality and performance... Will it be able to hold air?
      02-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post

Any responses to this post?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Can we get more info regarding widths, offsets, and weights specific for the M3?

Also will these clear various 380mm front BBK?
I am assuming so, as the wheels built for Fall Line cleared the brakes.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
the retail on these wheels is $5200/set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
It is the CAD Diagram only. When the Fall Line Wheels came out for the Grand Am series, We received similar ones and look how great they turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Any responses to this post?
I have no response to that post, as I don't have the technical information on it.

HRE has built the 18" Monoblock wheels for the Grand Am Challenge and this wheel follows the success of those wheels in strength and design.

This is the wheels on Fall Line's Race Car that hit a wall going 80mph at Florida 200 in Daytona.

I apologize for not giving you all more technical data on this.

I am waiting for information on them as well.

Last edited by Ryan@IND; 02-26-2010 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #16
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Julius Typo maybe 80 or 180 MPH impact but not 800 lol
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #17
Nate@IND
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post
Julius Typo maybe 80 or 180 MPH impact but not 800 lol
Steve was a fast dude
      02-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #18
dom55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I spoke with an HRE distributor last April at the NYIAS about 18" monoblock wheels. While we were talking he actually called HRE and confirmed that 18" wheels would be released about this time. After his phone call with HRE he said that the 18" wheels would be priced pretty close to the 19" wheels. I believe he said they would be close to $1000 per wheel, which seems in line with the 19" and 20" pricing proportionally to wheel size.
      02-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Just an FYI, the JWL load rating standard for an 18" wheel and 5x130 Porsche fitment is 735KGS. Even 17" wheels in that fitment are 715KGS.

If these are being run in Grand Am, then they can do what ever they want with the load rating. There are no requirements on the track. Many people/teams willingly sacrifice longevity/strength for light weight on the track to gain a competitive advantage, and high race budgets allow for the more routine replacement of consumables such as light weight wheels.

Aluminum wheels can take some abuse, but they get weaker and weaker over time from being stressed and loaded. It's just the nature of aluminum.

On the street it's a different story if we're talking about true TUV, VIA, and JWL standards. Just because a wheel is forged, does not mean it's strong. That word does not instantly equate to an acceptable amount of strength. Only if it's a true apples to apples comparison. Yes a forged wheel of the exact same design, dimensions, load rating, spoke thickness, and so on, is stronger then other manufacturing technologies. Change a variable and you can throw all of this off. Load rating is one of those factors.

If the original information is correct then the wheels were optimized for LESS strength then is the industry standard to save weight. If it's load rated for less, then it's not going to take more abuse then even a cast wheel that is at the standard. The cast wheel just needs a lot more metal to get the same job done, which makes it heavier. A light forged wheel does not equate to more overall strength then a heavy cast wheel. It's as simple as that.

Even BBS's motorsport's 3 piece wheels are not recommended for street use. The outer barrels have a thinner wall then their street wheels (like an LM), and will bend very easily on the street in comparison. This is done on purpose to save weight. They weren't trying to save money for the user, they were trying to make the fastest wheels, and is a good example of a 3 piece wheel that would routinely be rebuilt with new outer barrels throughout it's life, unlike 3 piece "bling" wheels.

Hopefully these will be disclosed as track only wheels if that load rating is maintained, or that they don't stamp them JWL / TUV.

WSTO is a great vendor, and they just copy pasted info here, so this is an HRE question/issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

$5200 is pretty steep for these.
I don't mind paying for quality, but these are overpriced for what they are.
      02-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
$5200 is pretty steep for these.
I don't mind paying for quality, but these are overpriced for what they are.
How would you define quality if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #22
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluFelgen View Post
How would you define quality if you don't mind me asking?
If Im paying $5000+ for a set of wheels, I want the best manufacturing process used, the best finish, best materials, and I want them to exceed or meet all standard.

I have had 2 sets of HRE wheels in the past, so I do have experience with the brand.