BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Rolls Royce Ghost vs Bentley Muslanne vs Bentley Flying Spur

While this isn't an M3 vs... thread, I thought I'd ask anyways.

My dad is ready to order himself a new Uber-sedan. It will not be used for daily driving and chances are only he and my mother will be driving around in it. It's sort of a "Lifetime Achievement Award" to himself for all his lifes hard work. He has narrowed it down to the Rolls Royce Ghost, the Bentley Muslanne and the Bentley Flying Spur.

Do any of you have any experience with any of these? Is the premium on the Muslanne worth it over the Ghost?

Thanks.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
DTM-POWER
Debonair
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, 650hp Evo X

My fathers partner picked up a Flying Spur and I got to check it out pretty good. Very nice car, deffinately something geared for more aged men. For me I'd take a loaded up 750li over one but the big B is deffinately a milestone car.
      05-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
While this isn't an M3 vs... thread, I thought I'd ask anyways.

My dad is ready to order himself a new Uber-sedan. It will not be used for daily driving and chances are only he and my mother will be driving around in it. It's sort of a "Lifetime Achievement Award" to himself for all his lifes hard work. He has narrowed it down to the Rolls Royce Ghost, the Bentley Muslanne and the Bentley Flying Spur.

Do any of you have any experience with any of these? Is the premium on the Muslanne worth it over the Ghost?

Thanks.
haha nick
went to see all the same cars for my grandpa...
Mulsanne not worth it in my opinion
there are also 2 new maybach 57s available in canada this month.
Ghost is very ostentatious even compared to a bentley, depends what he likes
drove the flying spur speed, liked it - that was our favorite for the fam, though it was the least comfy. dont know how old and mobile ur dad is, if he is being chaufferred, etc?
      05-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
haha nick
went to see all the same cars for my grandpa...
Mulsanne not worth it in my opinion
there are also 2 new maybach 57s available in canada this month.
Ghost is very ostentatious even compared to a bentley, depends what he likes
drove the flying spur speed, liked it - that was our favorite for the fam, though it was the least comfy. dont know how old and mobile ur dad is, if he is being chaufferred, etc?
No chauffer for my dad. He likes to drive and is a health 67 year old. He's coming from a long line of S and CL class Benz's. None of which he ever really pushed hard. He likes plushy drives. Actually, he wants the Phantom but it's too big! It will just make it into his garage by a hair. My mom wants him to get the Phantom because it's "the best" as she puts it. But she's not very practical and she isn't footing the bill either lol. His current CL class is also going to be his DD, so the new car is more of a weekend toy.

As for Maybach's, he see's them as what they, oversized S Class Benz's. He's passed that. He wants to move upscale now.

Personally, I like the Ghost exterior and Muslanne interior.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
As for Maybach's, he see's them as what they, oversized S Class Benz's. He's passed that. He wants to move upscale now.
The Rolls Ghost is based on a 760Li.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No chauffer for my dad. He likes to drive and is a health 67 year old. He's coming from a long line of S and CL class Benz's. None of which he ever really pushed hard. He likes plushy drives. Actually, he wants the Phantom but it's too big! It will just make it into his garage by a hair. My mom wants him to get the Phantom because it's "the best" as she puts it. But she's not very practical and she isn't footing the bill either lol. His current CL class is also going to be his DD, so the new car is more of a weekend toy.

Personally, I like the Ghost exterior and Muslanne interior.

the flying spur in my opinion does not truly compare to the Ghost.
I find the B younger and sportier. The Ghost and even mulsanne more plush and old-world mobster.

I looked at the Mulsanne, pretty stunning interior - but dont find the seats crazy plush, a little firm.

The new Maybach body and interior is quite impressive, though I agree largely, not wholely - you need to sit in one to feel the difference between it an S-class - it is quite noticeable. Though not worth 400k.

so i guess its ghost v mulsanne?

Ghost is more of a "bosscar", mulsanne a little classier in my opinion. If he wants to move up considerably, dont think a spur will be considered too special in dt To - if he gives a shit about that.
      05-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
The Rolls Ghost is based on a 760Li.
You are right, though loosely based! The Flying Spur is largly based on the A8 W12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
the flying spur in my opinion does not truly compare to the Ghost.
I find the B younger and sportier. The Ghost and even mulsanne more plush and old-world mobster.

I looked at the Mulsanne, pretty stunning interior - but dont find the seats crazy plush, a little firm.

The new Maybach body and interior is quite impressive, though I agree largely, not wholely - you need to sit in one to feel the difference between it an S-class - it is quite noticeable. Though not worth 400k.

so i guess its ghost v mulsanne?

Ghost is more of a "bosscar", mulsanne a little classier in my opinion. If he wants to move up considerably, dont think a spur will be considered too special in dt To - if he gives a shit about that.
I don't think he cares what other people think. He's been known to drive his CL to Home Depot in khaki shorts, dress socks and shoes and a wife beater to buy screws lol. And you're right, there are a lot of Flying Spurs in TO, esspecially in his neighborhood.

What do you mean by "bosscar"?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

Rolls Royce Ghost imo.

Flying Spurs are way too common for a car in that price range and the Muslannes are ugly.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
You are right, though loosely based! The Flying Spur is largly based on the A8 W12.
Flying Spur is most closely related to the VW Phaeton, which has a separate platform from A8 (makes no sense I know).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswa..._D_platform#D4

The A8 has an aluminum space frame which makes it lighter than rivals. Incidentally it is my favourite luxury flagship.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I don't think he cares what other people think. He's been known to drive his CL to Home Depot in khaki shorts, dress socks and shoes and a wife beater to buy screws lol. And you're right, there are a lot of Flying Spurs in TO, esspecially in his neighborhood.

What do you mean by "bosscar"?
i meant like for the amount of dough he is spending, i feel like he will want something that his neighbor doesnt have (i.e. the spur)...if he doesnt give a shit about this, i think its a beautiful car and well priced in the range (pretty good deals on a few new ones when i ran the numbers)...yeah, sounds a lot like my family...

bosscar - kinda like hollywood, gangster, money, haha. it bothered my family, cause it just has so much presence, far from understated (none of these are, but out of them...). but if ur fam doesnt care, then go for it..

personally, i expected more from the mulsanne.
      05-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

I just don't know if the Muslanne is worth the $50,000 CAD premium. I think at this point, the Rolls is looking like the winner. We'll see on Saturday. I'm going car shopping with him and my mother. My wife's going to come too as she's never seen a Rolls up close before lol

EDIT: just saw the listing at $65,000 CAD premium. Now I'm really not sure if it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

The Ghost would be be my 2nd choice. This would be my first:

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I want to have this dilemma.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Bentley's are ugly and quite common for super luxury cars. Get a Rolls Royce.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #15
donsgolf2012
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I went to the test drive day for the Muslanne and the Ghost at Symbolic Motorcars and the Ghost is a beast. Its super luxury and is suprisingly fast. The Flying spur's even though they are exotic, they are really common where I live. For a "lifetime achievement car" I would choose the Rolls because they are just so Bad-ass
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

if its just him and you mom , then he should get the Bentley Continental Supersports, it will be more fun

05-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Rolls are classy and bentleys are more sporty, just depends what you want but the rolls will cost more, and also offer more, both amazing cars though
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #18
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
if its just him and you mom , then he should get the Bentley Continental Supersports, it will be more fun

His current daily driver is a CL class Mercedes coupe and he will continue to drive it even after buying the new car. He doesn't want another coupe, he wants a grand touring sedan. Besides, my dad religiously drives the limit, so I don't think he would really enjoy the Supersport.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

oh I see then he should get the RR, it looks better.
      06-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post

i completely agree
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Update With Pictures!!

Thought I'd update the thread with a few pics. So my dad ended up ordering a 2011 Rolls Royce Ghost early last summer. The car is fully loaded to the nines and completely "Bespoke" from the custom Midnight Sapphire color (normally available as an upgraded paint for the Phantom only, a $8900 option) to the contrasting hand painted pinstripe (a $6900 option). Funnyh how the price of admission on this car barely gets you anything. This car has well over $100K in options.

He took delivery of the car on December 1st and has been enjoying driving it during the mild winter we've been having. Anyways, the pics below were taken while the car was being tinted (35% all around and 50% windshield). Enjoy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

must say, i've been driven in a Ghost before (because ya know, I'm so baller) lmao..

I felt like going to sleep it was so comfy. lol
Appreciate 0