BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

05-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Bibilical Brake Failure Guy at Spa

I found this while mooching around on YouTube. I think this is the guy who had the "bibilical brake failure". Sorry if this is a repost.
You can see he did this with a headlamp error!

05-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

His angel eye bulb was out? I don't get it. That happens all the time no? My stock angel eye bulbs went out like 3 times just because.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

where is the biblical brake failure. i was expecting some carnage.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

He was certainly beating the piss out of it in all the right ways. However, he really does seem to enjoy the curbs, haha.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
where is the biblical brake failure. i was expecting some carnage.
So was I.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

The thread he is referring to is an old one (link below) where Junior Strauss (pro driver, user name JuniorM3 around here) torched his brakes at Spa. The video above is one he posted last year I think that wasn't to show a failure but a good lap of Spa in an E92 M3.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...light=biblical
      05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

read that thread now. junior seems a little hostile? hes a pro of course he can smoke the brakes if he wants. so could i but im not trying to see if i can make my car blow up on track.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think he was just expecting more out of an M. The Porsches won't melt like that stock, the M3 is the worst stock brakes on a car at that price/performance point IMO.

That said, I love my M3 minus the brakes and the PFC pads do help quite a bit. Stock pads are pretty pathetic though, they literally crumble. No such crumbling on my Cayman S or other Porsches I've driven. And if you want to say well that car was 800 pounds lighter, the stock GT-R brakes are better too and it is heavier.

And it's hard to understand the difference in how hard an advanced/instructor pushes it versus a real pro until you ride with one. Strauss drives indycars after all.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Yep that is him. He can drive!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
read that thread now. junior seems a little hostile? hes a pro of course he can smoke the brakes if he wants. so could i but im not trying to see if i can make my car blow up on track.
Dude put ducts in, race pads and high temp fluid.
He was so excited because there was no fade, just failure!!!

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

that is prob him, but not in that lap. he clearly has upgraded brakes. you can see them in the first 10 sec of the vid

its amazing what that dct can do on the track...i still don't like it/prefer it, but its sick on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena NYC View Post
that is prob him, but not in that lap. he clearly has upgraded brakes. you can see them in the first 10 sec of the vid

its amazing what that dct can do on the track...i still don't like it/prefer it, but its sick on the track.
DCT is an advantage. But that lap time is not due to DCT...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
DCT is an advantage. But that lap time is not due to DCT...
I've yet to see anyone put the DCT through that much hard driving. I have to agree, I think he could have done nearly as well with a manual simply due to his level of ability and upgraded breaks.

RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

uh yeah thats what i said. good first post?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Where was the mic mounted? Sounds AWESOME!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
Where was the mic mounted? Sounds AWESOME!
Under the front bumper, I'm sure.

I mount my GoPro there (to the bottom of front license plate, actually), and that location along with use of GoPro's skeletal housing picks up the sound like that.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Here is the discussion of where he mounted it from the original thread in the show off forum:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=30
      05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
sleepless
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I think he was just expecting more out of an M. The Porsches won't melt like that stock, the M3 is the worst stock brakes on a car at that price/performance point IMO.

That said, I love my M3 minus the brakes and the PFC pads do help quite a bit. Stock pads are pretty pathetic though, they literally crumble. No such crumbling on my Cayman S or other Porsches I've driven. And if you want to say well that car was 800 pounds lighter, the stock GT-R brakes are better too and it is heavier.

And it's hard to understand the difference in how hard an advanced/instructor pushes it versus a real pro until you ride with one. Strauss drives indycars after all.
Drive the Cayman hard enough and it will show you it's biggest weakness is the entire brake system. Not just the calipers, but the ABS system is not up to really hard driving. In my experience, only street cars costing more than $150K "might" have brake systems that are upto the task of hard track driving. Loti being the exception...

Even GTR owners complain about the brakes (especially pre-2012 owners).

Regarding "junior", he was a bit foolish to bring the car in with glowing hot brakes; that is what did all the burned damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
Drive the Cayman hard enough and it will show you it's biggest weakness is the entire brake system. Not just the calipers, but the ABS system is not up to really hard driving. In my experience, only street cars costing more than $150K "might" have brake systems that are upto the task of hard track driving. Loti being the exception...

Even GTR owners complain about the brakes (especially pre-2012 owners).

Regarding "junior", he was a bit foolish to bring the car in with glowing hot brakes; that is what did all the burned damage.
No way man the biggest weakness is the suspension geometry. I don't know of the brakes failing for hard driving (shouldn't rely on the ABS anyway), but the suspension pick up points etc. are handicapped as not to one up the 911. And don't take my word for it, ask a racecar engineer or pro driver because those are the folks that told me that. I know a team that spent big bucks on remote reservoir coilovers and the whole deal and the car still didn't handle right when at the limit. I had one for 2 years and tracked it several times and it is an iffy track car bc of the suspension geometry.

But to be fair that convo should be in a diff thread, agree to disagree for this one, don't want to threadjack too bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
sleepless
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

My point is that most street cars, even sports/performance cars, have weak brakes for heavy duty track driving, and junior should have know that. The biblical failure was his over driving the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Check out where the alfa on point 4:35 on the video. Fast but reckless. Outside passing to the extreme. Try that on other tracks and gravel/dirt might not agree with his move
Appreciate 0