BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
So I will be the first to publicly admit my own stupidity so please ease on the flame . From reading things on the forum, most notably the spark plug DIY, I always thought that bank 1 was drivers side and bank 2 was passenger side. Well that was wrong, and it took me this long to figure it out that plugs 1-4 are passenger, and 5-8 are drivers. Stupid stupid stupid.... anyways, after my troubleshooting on the wrong cylinder, I ordered a new plug. On saturday I swapped it out with cylinder "3" (which is now 7). Still did not work. I still wanted a notable solution before I reported back, but there was nothing I could do until tonight. Today (Tuesday) I texted my SA to ask a tech WTF could have happened. First response was coil packs. When I said that I had switched them as a troubleshoot, he said he would get back to me tomorrow (Wednesday). I decided to look at my car again. After an hour of starring at the engine and switching the packs on cylinder 7 AGAIN, I decided to would just make sure I had the right one. After about ten seconds of googling, I found my mistake, popped off the passenger side cover, unplugged the coil pack, double checked to make sure there was no damage/dust/etc, plugged it back in, and started the car. Everything is back to normal; no errors, car is smooth again, and I feel stupid for not checked the internet first. My guess is that it wasn't plugged in correctly or maybe a little dust was impairing the connection.

Long story short, know your stuff >_>
Glad it all worked out. I also thought that logically, Bank 1 would be driver side. But I googled

Will do plugs in a couple of months.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Ill make a DIY plug replace this weekend. Photos included.. hope it wont give me any trouble.. lets see...
      01-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #25
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
So I will be the first to publicly admit my own stupidity so please ease on the flame . From reading things on the forum, most notably the spark plug DIY, I always thought that bank 1 was drivers side and bank 2 was passenger side. Well that was wrong, and it took me this long to figure it out that plugs 1-4 are passenger, and 5-8 are drivers. Stupid stupid stupid.... anyways, after my troubleshooting on the wrong cylinder, I ordered a new plug. On saturday I swapped it out with cylinder "3" (which is now 7). Still did not work. I still wanted a notable solution before I reported back, but there was nothing I could do until tonight. Today (Tuesday) I texted my SA to ask a tech WTF could have happened. First response was coil packs. When I said that I had switched them as a troubleshoot, he said he would get back to me tomorrow (Wednesday). I decided to look at my car again. After an hour of starring at the engine and switching the packs on cylinder 7 AGAIN, I decided to would just make sure I had the right one. After about ten seconds of googling, I found my mistake, popped off the passenger side cover, unplugged the coil pack, double checked to make sure there was no damage/dust/etc, plugged it back in, and started the car. Everything is back to normal; no errors, car is smooth again, and I feel stupid for not checked the internet first. My guess is that it wasn't plugged in correctly or maybe a little dust was impairing the connection.

Long story short, know your stuff >_>
Even though you goofed up, I'm glad you figured it out. Nothing like the feeling that comes when you get things like this resolved.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///

Glad it all worked out. I also thought that logically, Bank 1 would be driver side. But I googled

Will do plugs in a couple of months.
Tell me about it lol. That's what I always thought too. Learn a new thing everyday, like how BMW is not logical =P
      01-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #27
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05
Ill make a DIY plug replace this weekend. Photos included.. hope it wont give me any trouble.. lets see...
It won't give you trouble. Just take it smoothly and don't try to leverage the coil packs up; straight up. Thankfully I felt the nub was giving and stopped before any damage occurred. (I started with number 4 just to make sure I could actually do it lol)

Oh and a tip, for cylinders 3, 4, and 8, just use a flat palm and a glove to push down. Left hand for the passenger side, right for driver.
      01-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #28
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
Even though you goofed up, I'm glad you figured it out. Nothing like the feeling that comes when you get things like this resolved.
Tell me about it lol.

But damn did I have mixed feelings when I figured it out
      01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Tell me about it lol.

But damn did I have mixed feelings when I figured it out
I'll take the learning experience over an actual engine problem!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
It won't give you trouble. Just take it smoothly and don't try to leverage the coil packs up; straight up. Thankfully I felt the nub was giving and stopped before any damage occurred. (I started with number 4 just to make sure I could actually do it lol)

Oh and a tip, for cylinders 3, 4, and 8, just use a flat palm and a glove to push down. Left hand for the passenger side, right for driver.
If you guys haven't bought a coil pack puller from TXStig, you need to. Check out the DIY thread for spark plug change. I got mine in last night and went out to the car to try it out. Makes things so much easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #31
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
If you guys haven't bought a coil pack puller from TXStig, you need to. Check out the DIY thread for spark plug change. I got mine in last night and went out to the car to try it out. Makes things so much easier.
hahaha.. i guess good thing i bought one..
      01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Glad you posted this, I can see making the same mistake. Should add a link to this thread to the DIY.

In terms of mileage, the dealer replaced my plugs at 28k.
      01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #33
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB

Oh yea I totally wouldn't have done it without that lol. I got one too. SOOOOOO much easier than a pry method and significantly less chance if breaking a coil pack. $30 to save a $55 coil lol
      01-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #34
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Has this been able to be solved? I don’t believe a piece of dust got into a plug or harness to correct the issue. I’m having the p2304/2307 codes pertaining to cylinder 2 and 3. I’ve done the cleaning and looked for damage but it’s not it.
Appreciate 0