BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

High Oil Temps with SC 585 kit

Hey guys,

So it has been really hot in Boston the last several days. I know that with the hotter temps before going supercharged that my oil temp would go slightly past 210 on hot days in traffic.

I have been noticing the oil temp constantly exceeding the 3rd dot before the 300 mark and getting a warning to drive moderately because the engine is hot.

Even in cooler mornings when I go for drive (temps 70s but high humidity) the temps are running around 230(I think based on the meter in the car). My IAT are ranging from 115 to those hot days of 135-143.

I am asking for those that live in hotter temps or have similar experience about resolution. Is it because the intercooler is placed in front of the stock oil cooler so it's not GETTing enough cold air.

I have a few track days coming up and a little worried about not being able to push the car as intended.

I was thinking about the M24 oil cooler, but the car is a daily as well and that seems like overkill right now.

Thanks all for any insight or advice.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Does it always get up that high in hot weather or only while driving it hard in hot weather ?
If driven hard and the oil temp climbs up, what happens if you drive normal for 5-10 min ? Does it go back to normal or a little above normal ?
I never experienced my oil being that hot and I'm not too far from you.
How long you had your kit on the car btw ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

We won't get oil temp warning until you get to roughly 270F.

When I first got my car and tracked it, the oil temp would often get to 265F and once in a while I would get the warning,

When I added my S/C I added the M24 cooler at the same time and I never get above 245F on the oil now. It does help.

But you should only get those very high temp on the track or very extended full output runs....
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
ESS tests their cars out here in the AZ summer desert. Can't imagine it getting hotter over there where you live. Sounds like something isn't right.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
hhmmm, seems a tad high. Have you checked your coolant levels lately??
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

I would imagine a meth kit would work out nicely for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Definitely sounds high to me.... Mine never really goes past the third tick unless it's on the track. Normally it's just to the left or just to the right of 210 depending on whether I'm driving normally or more spirited.

Do you have a crankshaft pulley?

Your IAT's seem totally normal. So I would check the cooling system out. You're going to want to be between 170F and 220F. Normally my car is around 190 ish.

At 240F (116C) coolant temperature the DME will drop your redline down to 7800 (in stock form). Then for every degree hotter it will restrict the redline by 200 RPM, until it reaches a 7000RPM limit at 120C.

At 303F (151C) oil temperature the DME will drop the redline down to 7800 and keep dropping as per the schedule above for coolant, until it reaches 155C and limits at 7000.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

The temps have definitely have been a little hotter than normal for MA. On a few occasions my driving I would say was definitely moderate...65mph and in fourth gear at 4k RPM. Yes if that warning came on and I dipped below 4K RPM the temp would drop. Power and throttle response did not seem to be affected when it went that high. The coolant temps been the same as far as I recall (190-200) have been consistent.

Prior to SC the oil temp started to run a little higher than normal for what I was used to seeing with the car over the last 3 years of ownership.

I know the testing of these kits are done in high heat and many of you little in climates where heat is a constant. Nothing feels out of place driving the car if the temps were at 210 or at 240 which seems to be what that third marker is. In the heat like this I tend to not drive it aggressively SC or not.

Just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing. I know the car is still operating a safe temp, just wanted to see what others have seen with an intercooled kit at high heat during regular driving on the roads and perhaps if there were solutions.

Other than that the kit is amazing and is so smooth. Sure does suck gas down!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

This sounds like something is wrong or else this kit is a total waste if you can't even drive it hard without worryin gabout overheating the engine. That is useless.

Given this has no intercooler, I don't think you have an intercooler blocking your radiator right? Or do all superchargers have the heat exchanger in front of the radiator? You clearly do block air flow to the radiator but it seems like others do not have this problem.

I don't know, I run really hot as I live in a hot climate and I drive the car very hard. Usually in the 250 degree mark or so in Summer. 210 in 60 degrees or below.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
This sounds like something is wrong or else this kit is a total waste if you can't even drive it hard without worryin gabout overheating the engine. That is useless.

Given this has no intercooler, I don't think you have an intercooler blocking your radiator right? Or do all superchargers have the heat exchanger in front of the radiator? You clearly do block air flow to the radiator but it seems like others do not have this problem.

I don't know, I run really hot as I live in a hot climate and I drive the car very hard. Usually in the 250 degree mark or so in Summer. 210 in 60 degrees or below.
I believe the 585 kit has intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
RedNeck_D
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92, MKI MR2, Harley 48

Should have a W2A setup for that kit. I live in tx and I wouldn't buy a kit without a W2A haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post

I believe the 585 kit has intercooler.
Yes the 585 kit is intercooled. And the heat exchanger is in front of the oil cooler....but...OPs situation is not normal.

The only time my car got that hot is when I was tracking on a 97 degree day. But then again even the NA M3s were as hot as i was ( we were at the third notch right between the 210 and 300).

I've tracked before with the SC and stayed at 210 all day in the winter months.

I've heard this happens to some SC cars and not others. So it must mean the OP has some other cooling issues not attributable to the SC.

Good luck Diagnosing the issue OP.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Hey guys,

So it has been really hot in Boston the last several days. I know that with the hotter temps before going supercharged that my oil temp would go slightly past 210 on hot days in traffic.

I have been noticing the oil temp constantly exceeding the 3rd dot before the 300 mark and getting a warning to drive moderately because the engine is hot.

Even in cooler mornings when I go for drive (temps 70s but high humidity) the temps are running around 230(I think based on the meter in the car). My IAT are ranging from 115 to those hot days of 135-143.

I am asking for those that live in hotter temps or have similar experience about resolution. Is it because the intercooler is placed in front of the stock oil cooler so it's not GETTing enough cold air.

I have a few track days coming up and a little worried about not being able to push the car as intended.

I was thinking about the M24 oil cooler, but the car is a daily as well and that seems like overkill right now.

Thanks all for any insight or advice.
If you are exceeding the 3rd marker with street driving you should have the dealer check your factory cooling hardware as there might be an issue. My last M3 always ran a little higher oil temps than others but never reached the point where it would trigger a warning. We have two SC cars here that we just road tested in 117 deg temps which is common for us in AZ and even under stress they peak in the 250 range. If the car is to be tracked often you might also look into the M24 oil cooler / radiator from IND. We have been testing our oil cooler and it does allow the car to run lower temps on average and also recover much quicker than the stock cooler.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

While it sounds temps def shouldn't be that high, keep in mind the oil temp gauge is really just an indicator and for monitoring oil temps the factory gauge is very vague and a real gauge should be used. Also if needed there's other alternatives to the uber expensive m24 oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

This kid guys. I have talked to Roman about this and i feel more than confident that everything is okay and i know these engines run hot. and to be honest since it has been so bloody hot I really have nothing I compare it to and again nothing is being affected performance wise on the car.

Maybe I will take it in take have the stock internals looked at per one of your recommendations. I know there are so many of you guys driving these in hotter climates and just wasn't sure if perhaps the car just isn't used it and now with the added performance the engine is still taking a little bit to adjust to. I have only had the kit for about 500 miles give or take. And I wit running the AC more than I normally would there are just a few parameters I guess I am just not used to seeing so was seeking some advice.

I truly don't think anything is wrong and perhaps I am just being overly cautious because the temps will dip below that 3rd dot if that warning pops up.

TD a bit cooler this weekend so I will keep an eye out!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

That first sentence is supposed to say thank you guys...stupid I phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
This kid guys. I have talked to Roman about this and i feel more than confident that everything is okay and i know these engines run hot. and to be honest since it has been so bloody hot I really have nothing I compare it to and again nothing is being affected performance wise on the car.

Maybe I will take it in take have the stock internals looked at per one of your recommendations. I know there are so many of you guys driving these in hotter climates and just wasn't sure if perhaps the car just isn't used it and now with the added performance the engine is still taking a little bit to adjust to. I have only had the kit for about 500 miles give or take. And I wit running the AC more than I normally would there are just a few parameters I guess I am just not used to seeing so was seeking some advice.

I truly don't think anything is wrong and perhaps I am just being overly cautious because the temps will dip below that 3rd dot if that warning pops up.

TD a bit cooler this weekend so I will keep an eye out!

My non-intercooled kit isn't even getting past the third hash line. It was 119* here yesterday in areas I was driving.

Get it checked out to be on the safe side. Seems like your car has had issues with superchargers being installed on it. Maybe it's telling you it wants to stay NA
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

I would get it checked out personally. If it is that hot with normal driving that is just not right I am sorry
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

I completely agree guys. Been driving it today and the temps and humidity have been down. Temp looks to be alot more normal.

There is no way I will allow this car to go back to NA. The other issue I had was well manufacture and software error. Nothing wrong with the components of the car...thank gosh.

I will still get it checked out to be safe. Aftermarket options are unfortunately not in the budget as I am completely tapped out from my previous poor purchasing decision.

Would love to do the upgrades at some point. I have a track day on Monday so looking forward to that and will report back on the temp readings. It's a BMW track day with Steve Dinan coming out with a few Dinan cars. It will be an exciting time as I did not get to go last year.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Hey do any of you with this kit or higher run a different type of oil other than what you run stock? Just curious if there is something better out there. I need to bring it in for an oil change anyways as its been over 3K miles since I did it last. I do my changes at least every 3500-5000 at a max.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

I run Liqui Molly 10-W60 and my car likes it better than castrol
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Good to know IMG. Anyone else have experience using this oil or something comparable?
Appreciate 0