BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Does anyone here have any Gold, Silver, Platnum or Palladium Investments?

With the instable dollar, I'm thinking of investing in some silver.

Thoughts?
      10-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Do you have a lot of cash? Also the dollar is unstable due to the government still using gold. and other things aswell.
      10-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
Do you have a lot of cash? Also the dollar is unstable due to the government still using gold. and other things as well.
uh... That's the weirdest thing I've heard today...

Having our dollar attached to a Gold Standard at this point would likely stabilize the Dollar.

Then again, most of your Cash assets should be in Euro's...
Attached Images

10-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I'd say it's the WRONG time to buy Silver personally.

The Doom and Gloom tards say buy Buy BUY and Bury it in your back yard.

BUT

Silver is near record highs, NOT the time to buy. Back in the late 80s I think it was, Folks were doing the same damn thing. Gas prices were up and fools started buying Gold and Silver while it was at an all time high, then just a few years later, they couldn't unload the stuff and their options were worth about half almost.

You should be sitting on a nice big pile of Gold/Silver and maybe some platinum for fun, but you should have bought it about 7-10 years ago... NOT NOW...

Guessing... No way near an expert... But these things are cyclical.
      10-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Let's be honest here, the falling dollar doesn't have that much of an effect of your life. Sure the euro and pound are worth a lot and we've got canadian dollar parity, but I personally don't buy things in Europe that much(read: ever), so until it starts effecting import prices (which certainly hasn't happened yet) I could care less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Guessing... No way near an expert... But these things are cyclical.
+1
Same thing happened 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
fobunited
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2011 550i

Why not buy into the market now, since it's lower? I mean, if you're thinking about buying precious metals as an investment, then you're into the game too late.

Usually by the time you hear about it, you're buying in too late and therefore "buying high" and later, "selling low."

Right now would be a good time to invest in the market because you would be "buying low" and hopefully in the future "selling high."

People often forget about this, and just want to jump into the new market trend. Unfortunately, by the time individual investors hear about these trends and get in, it's usually too late.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Funny story, OT, but the Hunt brothers tried to 'corner' the silver market back in the late 70's.

'Bucky' Hunt once said, "a billion dollars isn't what it used to be".

BILLION

You know you're loaded when...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Let's be honest here, the falling dollar doesn't have that much of an effect of your life. Sure the euro and pound are worth a lot and we've got canadian dollar parity, but I personally don't buy things in Europe that much(read: ever), so until it starts effecting import prices (which certainly hasn't happened yet) I could care less.

+1
Same thing happened 30 years ago.
So, since you never get out of the US and never buy anything outside the US, all is fine. Let it fall, and let us live in a false imagination that our standards are as high as they were 10-15 years ago...
WRONG. The dollar is crap now (luckily it is cyclical) and I cannot believe how everything is expensive abroad. I am currently in Israel, spent a week elsewhere in Europe -- cannot even think of buying a t-shirt...
Canadian dollar is stronger than US dollar at the exchange offices everywhere in Europe...
How does that affect a regular person, in the USA? The prices of imports will definitely go up. Do you really think Bimmer can sell the cars in the USA 10% cheaper than a year or two ago as compared to Euro (which is their main currency)??? No, they will have to raise prices...

We need to wake up and realize that all billions wasted on the wars that are doing nothing positive for us, all things that current admin is wasting will at the end affect our lives and even worse -- the lives ouf our kids.

Yes, the dollar fluctuation is cyclical, and now it may be a good time to buy dollars, but the rest is not really cyclical and the real impact will be felt in years to come. But that would be the part of the Political Discussion Forum...
Appreciate 0