BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
NYC M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

HIFI audio system upgrade recommendations !

Hey guys !

I was planning on upgrading my HIFI system on my 08 e92 m3. I was planning on getting the JL XD600/6 cause i heard its the easiest route and technics harness.

I would also need door speakers, under seat speakers, and tweeters.

Can you guys recommend the best speakers for the right price. Thanks alot !
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue Coupe

It depends on what your budget is. The depth of the door speakers is very important in the coupe since there is a very limited amount of depth (39mm). If you are looking to do the installation yourself then i would recommend talking to Ken at Musicar Northwest (they are a vendor on the forum). If you want to have it installed then you should get i touch with Don at Unexpected Creations in Edison NJ.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' MR440i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC M3 View Post
Hey guys !

I was planning on upgrading my HIFI system on my 08 e92 m3. I was planning on getting the JL XD600/6 cause i heard its the easiest route and technics harness.

I would also need door speakers, under seat speakers, and tweeters.

Can you guys recommend the best speakers for the right price. Thanks alot !
The most common upgrade is, any 6 ch. amp, technic harness, Earthquake SWS8 under-seat woofers, OEM Enhanced premium mids & tweets or MusicarNW stage 1 mids & tweets.

I'm in the middle of gathering the parts to upgrade my Hi-fi system, I'm using Digital Designs SS5 amp, Technic harness, Earthquake SWS8 under-seat woofers, Hybrid Audio mids & tweets, also adding a trunk sub using 2 Digital designs tens in a custom made box. powered by a Digital designs M1c

The under-seat subs need spacers which i'm having a hard time finding.

Last edited by Sully1Time; 10-15-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Just search user Technic and you'll find some good threads in regards to this.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
NYC M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1Time View Post
The most common upgrade is, any 6 ch. amp, technic harness, Earthquake SWS8 under-seat woofers, OEM Enhanced premium mids & tweets or MusicarNW stage 1 mids & tweets.

I'm in the middle of gathering the parts to upgrade my Hi-fi system, I'm using Digital Designs SS5 amp, Technic harness, Earthquake SWS8 under-seat woofers, Hybrid Audio mids & tweets, also adding a trunk sub using 2 Digital designs tens in a custom made box. powered by a Digital designs M1c

I'm sure technic can help u with spacers.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
NYC M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok I'm planning on doing my own install.

which sws8? SWS-8 or SWS-8xi. I think one is a 4ohm and other is 2.

I'm sticking to PnP, so either MusicarNW or OEM enhanced premium. Which would be better ?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Ok I'm planning on doing my own install.

which sws8? SWS-8 or SWS-8xi. I think one is a 4ohm and other is 2.

I'm sticking to PnP, so either MusicarNW or OEM enhanced premium. Which would be better ?
No reason to upgrade from HiFi to EP. Just get the harness and use aftermarket amps.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
NYC M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

U think it will be good enough? I already got the JL xd600/6 amp and about 2 get the harness.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
NYC M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

If it sounds good with just amp then I'll leave it at that, but I heard the speakers can blow with all the extra power running to it... I usually have it on blast
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
No reason to upgrade from HiFi to EP. Just get the harness and use aftermarket amps.
Quote:
U think it will be good enough? I already got the JL xd600/6 amp and about 2 get the harness.
Stock mids & tweets will only take so much power. Plus the tweets still sound like cheap tweeters even with some power. I would go musicarnw or eps, I'm going with hybrid audio legatia series as I'm after some big improvements.

Does technic have access to the sub spacers?

Yes the SWSXi are 2 ohm, really made for direct replacement of the factory eps subs without changing the stock amp. If your going with the 600/6 you can use either the 2 or 4 ohm as the amp will work with both. But it makes 100watts at 2 ohms & 75 watts at 4ohms or 200 watts mono at 4 ohm.

I would buy the swsxi 2 ohm if I were you, you'll get the most power in stereo and are able to wire them in series for a 4 ohm mono load if you go mono
      10-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
NYC M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'll probably see how it sounds using just the amp. If I dont like it or if it blows then I'll order some mid, tweets, and woofers. Sounds good?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll probably see how it sounds using just the amp. If I dont like it or if it blows then I'll order some mid, tweets, and woofers. Sounds good?
Wont hurt you to go a step at a time, amp & technic harness is pnp. Like you said if its not much better buy the speakers you like!
      10-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1Time View Post

Curious on what you think of the DD SS5 and M1C. I was thinking of dumping my Zapco DC amps for something else and the DD amps were something I was considering. I have read that the noise floor seems to be a little high on those though. Other options are Arc Audio or Audison. Still not real comfortable with the class D thing for full range but everyone seems to give the amps good reviews.
      10-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Curious on what you think of the DD SS5 and M1C. I was thinking of dumping my Zapco DC amps for something else and the DD amps were something I was considering. I have read that the noise floor seems to be a little high on those though. Other options are Arc Audio or Audison. Still not real comfortable with the class D thing for full range but everyone seems to give the amps good reviews.
The DD SS5 & M1c have been in my Chevy Tahoe, just pulled it apart as i sold the truck, The SS5 was powering 2 sets of Focal KR2 in the doors and a JL Stealth 10" in the center console, the M1c was on 4 Alpine type R 12"s in the back, I had no audible noise at all, I have a feeling most people buy DD because they want it loud and run the gains all the way up. Doesn't matter what amp you have if the gains are set high or all the way up, your gonna hear some noise.

As far as digital amps are concerned, nowadays they are just as good if not better then AB or A amps.

I have listened to tons of systems with digital amps and they sound amazing! One was an 335 that had Audison and switched to DD sounded great
+ they do it efficiently, which is crucial on a vehicle like the M3 or any new car that has huge electrical systems run by computers.