BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

03-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
reborn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Competition package

I'm looking to buy a used M3 and as I look at the available stock some have the competition package most don't. I feel like the prices on these cars are bit all over the place so I'm not even sure if they are charging extra for the package. I looked at what's included and I'm not sure it's a better car with it. I'm looking to see what other people think about it. There is 1 car I saw which was nice and included the comp package which is why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for the help.

So we're on the same page this is what I know about it.

- The suspension has been lowered by 10mm. The spring rates are the same, but the springs themselves are shorter, to compensate for the shorter stance. The suspension’s shock damping was also adjusted by the M division. This was in order to compensate for the lower ride height, primarily for rebounding damping rates as opposed to actual compression.
- The Electronic Damper Control in the “Sport Mode” has been modified. A quote taken from the Manager of BMWNA’s M Division, Larry Koch: “The Sport Mode before ZCP was locked at 75% of the way to full stiff. It still has that as a default, but is now variable like the ‘Comfort’ and ‘Normal’ modes.” This translates to a stiffer ride whilst sport mode is engaged, aiding heavy cornering on a track at a cost to ride comfort when driving normally on the road.
- Modifications have been made to the computer governing the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) in M Dynamic Mode. It is reworked and renamed to “Dynamic Traction Control” (DTC) which allows for larger angles of slip in heavy cornering. This translates to the rear end sliding out further than would be allowed on a non-ZCP M3 before the DTC kicks in to stop the tail slide. Also, once the DTC does kick in, instead of cutting power to the wheels in order to correct the slide (which is normal for the DSC on stock M3s), the DTC computer instead applies the brakes to individual wheels in order to keep the car from spinning excessively.
- In addition, forged 19 inch wheels in the same style as those on the E46 CSL are added to the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

I have the comp pkg on my car. I like it but it is not anything I would go out of my way to acquire in a used car. The suspension changes are nice but of marginal value at best. The ride height change is really so small I think most would be hard pressed to really notice even when a non-ZCP car was place along side a ZCP car. I frankly got it for the 359 wheels. The cost of these alone made the rest of the ZCP practically free so I took it. I did not order the ZCP for the lowered stance or the EDC/DTC changes...

EDIT: If you are not planning on modding the car, ZCP would be my choice. If you are going to mod, pass and you can upgrade the suspension and select the wheels of your choice...

Last edited by kscarrol; 03-23-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
reborn
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol
I have the comp pkg on my car. I like it but it is not anything I would go out of my way to acquire in a used car. The suspension changes are nice but of marginal value at best. The ride height change is really so small I think most would be hard pressed to really notice even when a non-ZCP car was place along side a ZCP car. I frankly got it for the 359 wheels. The cost of these alone made the rest of the ZCP practically free so I took it. I did not order the ZCP for the lowered stance or the EDC/DTC changes...

EDIT: If you are not planning on modding the car, ZCP would be my choice. If you are going to mod, pass and you can upgrade the suspension and select the wheels of your choice...
Thanks for your help.

I can definitely see myself doing some mods. My goal with the car is to go to HPDE so hopefully I'll be able to commit enough time to improve and need to upgrade it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
http://www.streetfire.net/video/bmw-...s5_2203263.htm

The difference highlighted on paper hasn't necessarily translated at all when applied in real life, aside from cosmetics (wheels).

Truth be told though, if you're not going to modify it, then those are wheels are as superb as stock wheels get but you can still pick up a used pristine set without breaking the bank if you don't get ZCP.

So, no, absolutely not a deal breaker. I'd see it as a bonus, if that.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The only thing the competition package has going for it is the nicer looking wheels. Otherwise the other changes are minor. If you are planning on modifying the suspension, it is totally not worth paying a premium for. Also, if you are planning on tracking, the 19" competition wheels are rather heavy and not ideal for performance.
      03-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If you are getting coilovers and changing wheels the competition package is useless. I had it on my first E90 M3 and now i opted on not having it on my e92 m3 since i went with clubsports and different wheels.
      03-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
reborn
Private
United_States
Rep

It sounds like I should look for cars without it. As soon as I read it I didn't like that the car uses the brakes for the traction control. All I can see happening is that it's going to wear out the brakes faster and make them hotter than they need to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
alee0729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2018 Tesla 3 Perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post
It sounds like I should look for cars without it. As soon as I read it I didn't like that the car uses the brakes for the traction control. All I can see happening is that it's going to wear out the brakes faster and make them hotter than they need to be.
You're reading too much into it. All traction control systems rely on cutting power and applying brakes to keep the car straight. That's what DSC does. The brakes also dry themselves if you have rain sensors.

The M Dynamic Mode is the middle ground where you're allowed to slip the car more than you normally would with regular DSC, after which the brake reins in the car. Most people here see it as the "fun" mode... you can slip the car, get a little tail action, and still have the computers keeping you from doing something really stupid (most of the time).

All-off is what most would recommend for HPDE. You're relying just on BMW's fancy limited slip (M Differential Lock) to keep you in check. No brakes here unless you press it in.
      03-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
reborn
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee0729
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post
You're reading too much into it. All traction control systems rely on cutting power and applying brakes to keep the car straight. That's what DSC does. The brakes also dry themselves if you have rain sensors.

The M Dynamic Mode is the middle ground where you're allowed to slip the car more than you normally would with regular DSC, after which the brake reins in the car. Most people here see it as the "fun" mode... you can slip the car, get a little tail action, and still have the computers keeping you from doing something really stupid (most of the time).

All-off is what most would recommend for HPDE. You're relying just on BMW's fancy limited slip (M Differential Lock) to keep you in check. No brakes here unless you press it in.
I understand. The way it was worded in what I read made it sound like it was a new feature.
Appreciate 0