BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
elcarajo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 6MT JzB/FR 19s no mods

Lowering Question

I'm interested in lowering the front of my e92 a little and the back end a little more (maybe 1" front and 2"" rear). I'd like to get to where the rocker panel is parallel with the ground.

I'm concerned, though about the aerodynamics created by the undertray in the stock configuration. I am presuming (always trouble) that the current configuration creates negative pressure as air moves into the expanding space beneath the chassis, meaning solid downforce at very high speeds. Lowering in any way would reduce the amount of air that goes under the car in the first place, and lowering the rear more than the front will negate the potential effect of the negative pressure below the car.

It shouldn't be an issue on US roads, but this car will go to Germany and may get supercharged, so I don't want to reduce stability at max velocity.

Anyone have any thoughts?
      08-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcarajo View Post
I'm interested in lowering the front of my e92 a little and the back end a little more (maybe 1" front and 2"" rear). I'd like to get to where the rocker panel is parallel with the ground.

I'm concerned, though about the aerodynamics created by the undertray in the stock configuration. I am presuming (always trouble) that the current configuration creates negative pressure as air moves into the expanding space beneath the chassis, meaning solid downforce at very high speeds. Lowering in any way would reduce the amount of air that goes under the car in the first place, and lowering the rear more than the front will negate the potential effect of the negative pressure below the car.

It shouldn't be an issue on US roads, but this car will go to Germany and may get supercharged, so I don't want to reduce stability at max velocity.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Wouldn't changing the rake also affect overall weight distribution and therefore handling. I'm sure a lot of R&D went into developing the aerodynamics of the car. It's probably not as simple as just dropping it a few inches to reduce the potential for lift.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3

You'd probably have to look at wind-tunnel data to make any kind of informed opinion on this one..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
elcarajo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 6MT JzB/FR 19s no mods

Haha - I'd also have to have a far better understanding of applied physics and aerodynamics. That's why I'm asking you guys for properly informed opinions on the subject. I know there are engineers out there; I'm hoping to hear from one or two.