BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
tommay248
1N'dONE
Rep
Drives: N54 135i / VO 1M

Athletic/gym rats... need routine advice

Hey folks, Im tryin to get some definition and get lean. Currently 6'1 225lbs... would like to get down to about 200lbs... Was into lifting did alot of total body workouts... i.e. squats, deadlifts, no muscle specific excercises rather muscle group excercises...

whats a good 4-5 day/week routine to get fit??
(I used "New Rules of Lifting" as a last routine)

I know a healthy body starts in the kitchen, but where does it go in the gym?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommay248 View Post
Hey folks, Im tryin to get some definition and get lean. Currently 6'1 225lbs... would like to get down to about 200lbs... Was into lifting did alot of total body workouts... i.e. squats, deadlifts, no muscle specific excercises rather muscle group excercises...

whats a good 4-5 day/week routine to get fit??
(I used "New Rules of Lifting" as a last routine)

I know a healthy body starts in the kitchen, but where does it go in the gym?
Are you doing low impact cardio to burn fat?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
tommay248
1N'dONE
Rep

I was doing HIIT, high intensity interval training to burn fat.. but to be honest shit got boring.. i think raquetball is the way to go
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was doing HIIT, high intensity interval training to burn fat.. but to be honest shit got boring.. i think raquetball is the way to go
To be honest, most of it is boring. Are you a member of a gym with group fitness classes? Spinning is probably the best thing for you to do....and there are usually a lot of attractive women in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
tommay248
1N'dONE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Babs View Post
Dude just lift heavy ass weight!!!!!!!!!

i dont want to get bulky, i want to get leannnn
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
FOXYCaymanS
_
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cayman S / Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
To be honest, most of it is boring. Are you a member of a gym with group fitness classes? Spinning is probably the best thing for you to do....and there are usually a lot of attractive women in there.
+1 spinning and/or running - cardio is the way to go. (Hardcore swimming will work too).
      04-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
High reps, light weight.

Mix it up though and you wont get huge.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

www.crossfit.com
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Crossfit is like 200 bucks a month. If you don't need outside motivation, you can do that shit yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
i dont want to get bulky, i want to get leannnn
That will come from your diet. Much like trying to spot reduce fat, its also impossible to "tone" muscles since they can only do two things... grow or shrink. Achieving a lean look comes from having some decent muscle mass and low BF.

As far as training goes, that's really up to you. As long as you train with intensity the results will follow. Personally I like to do the following split that contains a mix of both compound and isolated excercises, but again, this is what works for me, but there is certainly more than one way to get results in the gym...

Mon... Back/Bis/Lower abs/cardio
Tues... Chest/Tris/Calves/cardio
Wed... Legs/Shoulders
Thurs... Back/Bis/Upper abs
Fri... Chest/Tris/Calves
Sat... Rest
Sun... HIIT cardio

Again, this isn't a magical split, but its what I have found to give me the best results. I always move new excersies in/out of rotation so it never gets old, and I find that this split allows me enough time for recovery, while hitting each muscle group 2x per week.

In addition to whatever training routine you decide to go with, your diet will make or break your results. If your goals are to lose some weight than I would figure out your BMR, take 500 cals off of that, and base your diet around that. On a cut I aim for 1-1.5g protein/lb target bodyweight, 25-30% daily cals from fat, and the rest in carbs (usually works out to around your bodyweight or a little under that). Following these guidelines I have been able to move the scale in both directions at will so it works if you put the time in.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
i see a lot of overweight people lifting a lot of heavy weights and screaming like they're some big shot, but in the end they're still fat. I think it's better to lose the weight first before trying to add muscle or else you'll end up looking like tony little. If you want to get lean I would incorporate some sort of cardio workout on top of your weight lifting regiment. As others said you probably want to do more reps and lighter weight instead of heavy weight and low reps which would is what one would do to bulk up.

I work out at 24hr fitness and they offer free kickboxing and other cardio classes for free so if your gym offers that, I would try it out to see how many calories you'll burn. Or you can do it the old fashioned way and hit up the treadmill and stair climber. It's a no brainer that you should be heating a healthy diet to achieve your goals. I'm sure others will give good advice. good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Crossfit is like 200 bucks a month. If you don't need outside motivation, you can do that shit yourself.
really? hmmm I must owe someone some money then. Can you show me where on the website I have to send them the $200 per month to do the WOD?

How about if you don't know what you are talking about, you simply keep your mouth shut? Though I can't imagine when you'd be posting if you did that.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
run lol if u want to lose weight or do a circuit of some kind. a friend of mine used to do these jumping things onto boxes + ladder + cones for a circuit

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
really? hmmm I must owe someone some money then. Can you show me where on the website I have to send them the $200 per month to do the WOD?

How about if you don't know what you are talking about, you simply keep your mouth shut? Though I can't imagine when you'd be posting if you did that.
Wouldn't have said it if I didn't know for sure. Maybe it's different here. The fees to be a member of Crossfit in Austin, Texas is ~$200.00 month. You really didn't have to be such an asshole with your response. Put down the roids, man. Srsly!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't have said it if I didn't know for sure. Maybe it's different here. The fees to be a member of Crossfit in Austin, Texas is ~$200.00 month. You really didn't have to be such an asshole with your response. Put down the roids, man. Srsly!
The irony of you calling someone an asshole is astounding.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The irony of you calling someone an asshole is astounding.
If you have a personal problem with me, I suggest you take it up with me privately instead of involving the rest of the forum in your tirade.
Disagreeing is one thing, but you seem to have escalated the situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

I still use the marine corps method... run, run until you feel like dying, then run some fscking more. There is nothing that will get you lean faster than running a lot. Swimming and cycling are very close though, but running still burns more calories per minute on average. You may see some weight loss lifting as others have suggested, but if you want to lose weight fast don't eat like a wild man and do lots of cardio. Supplementing the cardio with lifting is a good idea, but it shouldn't be the focus of your efforts.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #18
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
I still use the marine corps method... run, run until you feel like dying, the run some fucking more. BTW, I just got done running. There is nothing that will get you lean faster than running a lot. Swimming and cycling are very close though, but running still burns more calories per minute on average. You may see some weight loss lifting as others have suggested, but if you want to lose weight fast don't eat like a wild man and do lots of cardio. Supplementing the cardio with lifting is a good idea, but it shouldn't be the focus of your efforts.
+1. I suggested spinning over running because the OP said he got bored with cardio. I thought if he had some nice sweaty women to look at, it might not be so boring for him.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #19
tommay248
1N'dONE
Rep

Quote:
+1. I suggested spinning over running because the OP said he got bored with cardio. I thought if he had some nice sweaty women to look at, it might not be so boring for him.

haha sweaty women could be motivating
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #20
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DP34Gd5dIY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DP34Gd5dIY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

You cannot design a program for an individual you cannot assess. If you're not assessing, you're guessing. Any program suggestions will likely add to already existing imbalance.

The general strategy for leaning out should be as follows:

1. Maintain your muscle mass by lifting heavy loads in excess of 70% of your one rep max in the hypertrophy (6-12 reps, 60-120s rest) and strength (1-5, 3-5min rest) rep ranges. Focus on multi-joint movements to ensure the utilization of the greatest number of muscle fibers. Your program should be periodized for best results.

2. Foster a calorie deficit via diet and exercise to burn fat. Ever heard of carb cycling?

3. Focus largely on short duration, high intensity cardiovascular exercise to elicit an anabolic hormonal response. Low intensity, long duration cardiovascular exercise is catabolic (muscle wasting); you do not want this.

4. Constantly assess posture, imbalance, weakness, and tightness. This is paramount to avoiding injury and being structurally strong. Not one of my clients comes to me free of imbalance and most are completely clueless of its existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
High reps, light weight.

Mix it up though and you wont get huge.
The body will only call upon the exact number of motor units it needs to move a load. If you are lifting light loads for high reps, you will only be utilizing a small portion of your muscle fibers (endurance fibers) to move the load.

Quote:
Is not periodized.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #22
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post

Is not periodized.