BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Taythefool
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90 6MT

Speaker problems...

Hey guys, im new here, just trying to get some advice seems like there is a lot of knowledgeable people here. Anywho, 2008 bmw m3 E90. The car seems to have something with the speakers when driving over potholes.... The sound is bouncing from left speakers to right speakers and also from front to back just seems weird all speakers work just not all at the same time...

Last edited by Taythefool; 07-02-2018 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Connectivity issues would be my guess. Is it really bouncing from left to right, or is left just being removed and all you hear is right? Play some music that has a heavy division (Jimi Hendrix and CSN come to mind) and see if sound is being eliminated.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Taythefool
Rep

Yeah it completely eliminates sound from one side and goes to the other and vice versa same with front and back speakers. But on the other hand it does play from all speakers sometimes while driving. Just a bit strange, but not something that is completely strange coming from a 10 year old car with original sound system i suppose.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taythefool View Post
Yeah it completely eliminates sound from one side and goes to the other and vice versa same with front and back speakers. But on the other hand it does play from all speakers sometimes while driving. Just a bit strange, but not something that is completely strange coming from a 10 year old car with original sound system i suppose.
Let me rephrase.

I recommended listening to music that is produced where a specific sound will only be apparent in the left or right. Example: the drums are playing in your left ear, but the guitar is playing in your right. When left is cut out, do you only hear the guitar?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Taythefool
Rep

I've tried different verity of music. The sound just completely goes away no bass or treble from one specific speaker, or one specific side. Almost as if what you were saying the connection is there but barley hanging on when you hit a bump just moves a bit and 0 sound. Might be a good idea to pull the panel and check?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taythefool View Post
I've tried different verity of music. The sound just completely goes away no bass or treble from one specific speaker, or one specific side. Almost as if what you were saying the connection is there but barley hanging on when you hit a bump just moves a bit and 0 sound. Might be a good idea to pull the panel and check?

Yes, first thing I would do is check the connections at the amp. Could be something stupid like a connector that's loose. Then, I would go to the speaker itself and inspect the harness and re-seat it.
      07-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Not sure if its the same as the e93 but open the trunk, pull out the trunk liner and look for the amp. There are small round connectors on the left and right sides of the amp. Push on them to be sure they are firmly seated. I placed a giant pumpkin in my trunk and it pushed the connections out of place. It caused one sides speakers to go out. Once I pushed them back in all was back to normal.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
Taythefool
Rep

Thanks guys for all the info will keep you guys posted on my findings... Happy 4th of July
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
vitalsigns
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

CD?

Does the music cut-out occur when playing a CD?

If so, the CD/laser may be skipping when the car is hitting bumps, potholes and other uneven pavement.

If this happens when playing the radio, probably some loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
Taythefool
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Does the music cut-out occur when playing a CD?

If so, the CD/laser may be skipping when the car is hitting bumps, potholes and other uneven pavement.

If this happens when playing the radio, probably some loose connection.

Have been using radio and AUX. But its the same thing with the CD player.

Sorry guys for the late response... Did diagnosis it to be a bad AMP. Since it crackles sometimes at the right passenger speaker also. I did Try unplugging the amp and reconnecting with no avail thinking it was a connection. Pulled the panel but there was no loose connection(At the passenger front speaker). The speakers on the M's are hard to kill in other words. The car is used, and to closer investigation when washing it i did find that the rear windshield seals was peeling a bit (Driver side) think this AMP failure is starting to go due to water and weathering. But never the less the weirdest thing i've experienced with any BMW i owned.
Appreciate 0