BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

12-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #23
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

I'd suggest going for a full wrap. Half-wrapped hoods and fenders will typically fade differently over time, so that the unprotected portions have a dramatically different appearance once you remove the clear bra. This defeats the purpose of installing clear bra, in my opinion.
      12-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #24
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
I'd suggest going for a full wrap. Half-wrapped hoods and fenders will typically fade differently over time, so that the unprotected portions have a dramatically different appearance once you remove the clear bra. This defeats the purpose of installing clear bra, in my opinion.
But even the full wrapped hood and fenders will be a different color than the rest of the car, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
But even the full wrapped hood and fenders will be a different color than the rest of the car, right?
Not at all, this was the case when the first owner of my previous E90 had it done, it was so yellow that I just removed it all. But now they have upgraded their products and they are almost invisible, honestly having a dark car really helps, you can't notice it on my Jet Black.

OP - get it from the dealership and add a warranty to it? I did this and already got it replaced with-in the first 6 months. Plan on getting it re-done after winter too and then I'll see how it holds up without it coming into contact with rain in the first couple of days.

Edit - My warranty is valid for SIX years so that's why I'd suggest going this way.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Not at all, this was the case when the first owner of my previous E90 had it done, it was so yellow that I just removed it all. But now they have upgraded their products and they are almost invisible, honestly having a dark car really helps, you can't notice it on my Jet Black.

OP - get it from the dealership and add a warranty to it? I did this and already got it replaced with-in the first 6 months. Plan on getting it re-done after winter too and then I'll see how it holds up without it coming into contact with rain in the first couple of days.

Edit - My warranty is valid for SIX years so that's why I'd suggest going this way.
I talked to a couple of very knowledgeable people that said the clear bra won't make the paint a different color once removed.

I am having Ultimate Shield do the work (they also offer a warranty) because I like to keep my car out of the dealer's hands. I trust this company to do a good job way more than my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #27
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I talked to a couple of very knowledgeable people that said the clear bra won't make the paint a different color once removed.

I am having Ultimate Shield do the work (they also offer a warranty) because I like to keep my car out of the dealer's hands. I trust this company to do a good job way more than my local dealer.
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you on that. It was just the product they used to have was yellow. Didn't turn yellow but was originally yellow from the moment it was applied, well on AW anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #28
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you on that. It was just the product they used to have was yellow. Didn't turn yellow but was originally yellow from the moment it was applied, well on AW anyways.
Yeah, I meant to quote someone above that said the paint would be two different colors when the clear bra was removed. This definitely does not seem to be the case.

Do you have the full or half hood/fenders on your JB?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #29
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I meant to quote someone above that said the paint would be two different colors when the clear bra was removed. This definitely does not seem to be the case.

Do you have the full or half hood/fenders on your JB?
Half hood/fenders. I'll post up some pics for you tomorrow when it's daylight out!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #30
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
The paint will not fade at a different rate. The film is optically clear. The only difference you will notice is the film area will be as perfect as the day you applied film to it i.e. no swirl marks, scratches...

I pulled film off of a red 2003 Thunderbird that had a partial hood on it. The car sat in the sun daily and was maintained with Zaino. The area under the film was perfect and the exact same color as the rest of the car. That film had been on there for 6 years.... so I dont think there is an issue there. Plus red is notorious for fading... and after sitting in the sun for 6 years it would have been noticable.

Film has been around nearly 20 years now. If what you stated were true people would not buy it because it would not serve a purpose... if you had t orepaint anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #31
RudeRou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #32
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeRou View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, I won't. Thanks for the great advice; you prevented me from making the biggest mistake of my life.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #33
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i would not drive a car without it. When it comes to clear bra, installation is the key.
All films will change color over time however if properly maintained then you will not be able to notice the difference. I have had it on white car for over 2 years with no yellowing, i have it on black car, no issue.

This is a question no one on the forum can answer. Best is to ask the shop you are getting the work done to do a sample on your car. Also ask about warranty. If those two checks out then you should have no issues what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
F9T
Captain
Rep

Just dropped off my car to get the bumper, half hood and fenders, and mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
Clear bra is the general product name. There are many different films out there... and once installed they are a clear bra. I bet it was a cheap product as dealerships will tend to go with the cheapest price they can get from an outside company. once it is sold the dealership really isnt liable for it... although they should be. I do a lot of dealership work and they are only worried about their profit margin... not the quality of the product. But if there are enough complaints they have to find another installer because it reflects poorly on the dealership. Keep us posted and make sure to ask the installer what film they used.
I am back from Asia, and had a chance to actually talk with the service advisor about this matter. He indicated that a couple of years ago the dealership made a change in the folks doing the ClearBra work (yellow flag). The guys doing it today for the dealership agreed to remove the old film from her car and replace it with new 3M film at no charge to us. I feel like the dealer (Kuni BMW in Beaverton, OR) is handling the matter pretty well.

Thanks again for the advice!!