BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

08-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #45
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Bullshit.

Go drive the new 09 Cayman S and tell me it isnt in the same league as an M3 CSL... this thing would run circles around the CSL.

I've driven them both and if your talking out of your ass.
You've driven a Gen 2 CS and a M3 CSL on the track? Where? Who's CSL since your in the USA? The CSL has a very quick ring time. Nice angry post, you seem to know "Bullshit" well.

The new CS will likely NOT "run circles around the CSL".
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #46
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
You could believe some dumb fanboy, our you could belive the people who rank cars by their driving expirience.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car/index.html

If you notice, the M3 wasnt even in the test.

They dont invite back the loosers.
Oh pleeeaaase.

Who is the fanboy now?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #47
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes of course... my bad for NOT passing off my opinion as fact and actually citing some sort of hard refferance.
Sorry, but it's not like MT considers the M3 as a "looser" car. Here is what they said about it after the 2008 comparison:

"We expected the new BMW M3 (3rd place) to finish strong; it's simply one of our all-around favorite cars. Pobst gushed over its sublime responsiveness and grace, scoring it second. On our instrumented tests, the BMW delivered a second-best step-steer time, midpack lane-change speed, a top-place finish in ride quality, and one of the smoothest, tightest traces (despite high performance limits) on our figure-eight test. Most important, the M3 delivers handling performance you can utilize fully on your favorite roads. Steering feel, balance, chassis feedback, grip-the M3 covers every important base as few other cars in the world today can."
And I'm sure CS fanboys will be quick to forget this part of the 2009 article:
"What's most striking about the Porsche Cayman S Vehicle Dynamics Score is that it doesn't appear to be remarkable at all. It took turning off our elaborate test equipment and simply wrapping our hands on its steering wheel to finally get the picture ... And when the results were compiled, our affection for the Cayman S became starkly apparent."
"Affection" is not hard evidence.

The truth is, for most of us, the car is not the limiting factor. It's true that the average driver will probably feel more comfortable testing the limit in a Cayman, simply because it's lower and smaller. But that doesn't say much about the car's objective performances.

Last edited by drivendriver; 08-28-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #48
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Dunno, but seems like M3 is substantially faster around Nurburgring than the new and old Cayman S (being driven by no less than Walter Rohrl):

M3 E92: 8:05 (Sport Auto)

Cayman S (New): 8:10 (Walter Rohrl)

Cayman S (Old): 8:25 (Sport Auto)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #49
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The problem is that you're trying to turn a very subjective article into some kind of law. Just because MT is in love with the CS doesn't mean that everyone has to be. Expressing a preference for the M3 (or whatever car) doesn't make anyone a "dumb fanboy". Note that you were the first one in this thread to use terms like "dumb", "fanboy" or "bullshit". Actually, had it not been for the "dumb fanboy" comment, I would have ignored your posts.

And please define "driving experience". My definition is simple: it's what I experience when I'm at the wheel. What you experience may be different. That's fine. I won't make you read an article to change your mind.

Also, believe it or not, I wasn't born an M3 fanboy. I actually dreamed of owning a Porsche for a long time. And then I drove a Lotus Elise, and owning a Porsche didn't seem that important anymore. If you haven't driven a Lotus yet, you should try it. It puts things in perspective--at least it did for me. And when I started looking for a successor to my Elise, I drove both a Cayman S and an M3. They were similarly priced, so I could have bought either. I picked the M3 because I liked it better, and I don't feel dumb at all about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #50
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyway, this is my last post in this thread.

I am open minded. Last week-end, after reading the MT article, I actually went to a Porsche dealer. I drove a 06 Cayman S and a 07 base Carrera. I didn't insist on driving new cars because I knew I wasn't going to buy one. But based on these test drives, I have no regret about buying the M3, although I liked the Carrera quite a lot.

But I realize that a street test drive doesn't mean much. So if anyone offers to let me drive his Cayman S at VIR over Labor Day week-end, I will oblige!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #51
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

I think the e92 m3 looks so much more aggressive compare to the cayman s. That will be the major decision for most potential buyer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #52
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I test drove the Cayman S when it was released few years ago, though it carried the Porsche badge, it didn't impress me. I had more fun driving my 05 EVO than driving it. Another statement I can't live with is that, if a 911 pulled up next to me, that driver must be thinking this poor Asian can't afford an 911, thus went for the lesser model. To me, driving a Porsche means something unique, so anything less than a GT3 won't do it for me. At the end, you are driving a Porsche, why settle for something that a grandma can handle?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #53
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

^agree
GT3 or C2S is the real deal, Cayman S isn't even a cheap porsche. It is an expensive while half assed car. I am sure it will be a good drive but it just aint worth the money. OP will be much better off with a M3 or a slightly used C2S.
      08-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #54
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMANYCARS View Post
I test drove the Cayman S when it was released few years ago, though it carried the Porsche badge, it didn't impress me. I had more fun driving my 05 EVO than driving it. Another statement I can't live with is that, if a 911 pulled up next to me, that driver must be thinking this poor Asian can't afford an 911, thus went for the lesser model. To me, driving a Porsche means something unique, so anything less than a GT3 won't do it for me. At the end, you are driving a Porsche, why settle for something that a grandma can handle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover
^agree
GT3 or C2S is the real deal, Cayman S isn't even a cheap porsche. It is an expensive while half assed car. I am sure it will be a good drive but it just aint worth the money. OP will be much better off with a M3 or a slightly used C2S.
Two ill-informed and inexperience (driving wise) comments. To honest think the Cayman isn't a proper Porsche , clearly neither of you have ever heard of Walter Rohrl.

If you had you wouldn't be making these comments.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #55
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Walter Rohrl.
Der Walter who was driving Opels in the '70s and '80s. LOL .Great driver.
But I prefer Ari, another ex Opel driver:

from 0:33 on
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 05:24 AM   #56
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Der Walter who was driving Opels in the '70s and '80s. LOL .Great driver.
But I prefer Ari, another ex Opel driver:

from 0:33 on
Both great drivers but my comments were more to do with his comments on the Cayman and as Porsche's chief test driver how in his opinion the Cayman is the better drivers car than the normal 911 range. Something I happen to agree with.

In fact he has openly said that given the same power and equipment that the Cayman would easily be quicker than the GT3 or any other ultra-high performance version of the 911.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #57
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
So for you it's about image/prestige more than driving talent, eh? BTW, the M3 and EVO are a lot easier to drive fast than any Cayman or 911.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #58
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
^agree
So you're talking w/o having even driven the car. Posters like you are valuable indeed...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #59
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
^agree
GT3 or C2S is the real deal, Cayman S isn't even a cheap porsche. It is an expensive while half assed car.
You Men of Style sound like posers.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #60
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
You Men of Style sound like posers.
I could see Bud Light making a commercial about them with their "Bud Light Real Men of Genius" series.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #61
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only thing that is keeping the Cayman is in conversations with the M3 is that Porsche hasnt found fit to give the Cayman S the proper amount of power to beat out 911's. After that happens I think you'll find that this "Half assed car" will be in a different league of conversation, and comparing it to the M3 would just be pointless... Lets watch that hawk race the buffalo with three legs.
The real reason that we see these countless Cayman and M3 threads/comparisons is because of the price point. That's it. They are totally different cars, both have their places, but people and magazines do stupid comparison tests because they are simply in the same price range. Apples to oranges comparison, even if the apple costs the same as the orange. Horses for courses.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #62
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

yup, the GT3 would be the only Porsche for me to consider.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #63
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
yup, the GT3 would be the only Porsche for me to consider.
Werd.

If I have enough money to get a Porsche, it will be a GT3 or nothing. This is what Porsche racing heritage and what Porsche is truly about. It just does not get any better than this. Just listen to it:

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #64
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

I like the m3 exaust note better. no v6/i6 can beat the sound of a high rev v8. the high rev v8 will have a combination of low rev rumble and scream at the same time. But the v6/i6 just simply scream, no rumble.

like this

or this. You don't even need to rev to redline to hear that glorious exaust note.

I say the only problem with the m3 is the weight. But that is understandable because it is built to seat 4-5 peoples comfortably and must meet crash test standard. It is a bigger car as well. If you strip this car, 2 seats, bbk, and firmer coilover. the m3 will be a beast. But for me and majority of m3 owners, the 4 seats is something we cannot give up. I cannot see myself in a cayman s because I always have my kid and wife with me at the same time. There are so many time that my parents, my brother, etc get a ride in my car.

so to give up the m3 for the cayman s, I think it is not worth it to most m3 owner because the performance is not night and day different. In some case the m3 excels such as the exaust note or straight line highway speed. On the other hand, the cayman have better handling due to the mid engine and much lighter weight. However, if it is the gt3, then i may have to sacrify the practicality and keep the m3 for the family occasion. It wouldn't make too much sense to have the m3 and the cayman s at the same time. m3 and gt3 is the proper combo.

Last edited by graider; 08-29-2009 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #65
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

^^^ hahahaha....I just ordered my full catless Gintani recently!!! I can't wait to hear the upgraded sound on my M3!!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #66
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
There's also a saying that I heard is BMW is poor man's Porsche? I say go test drive both and decide. People say lots of things and most of them are just meaningless ramblings.
cayman crap costs less than M3 and M3blows its doors off
Appreciate 0