BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #45
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
My thinking is (and I am likely trying to rationalize the purchase of this, incorrectly specified, car) that I will be able to adjust the same parameters as EDC, only to a much finer level, in terms of damping. In addition, I will have the ability to adjust ride height, which is great (I would like to reduce the fender gap somewhat) - again, the coilovers will allow this. So, at the (relatively minor) cost of a little inconvenience, insofar as I will have to manually adjust things from the outside of the car, I will end up with some added adjustability, whether for looks (dropping), for performance (dropping, rebound, damping), or for comfort (damping). I am pretty new to suspension modifications, but this looks like a pretty good option to me. I do track the car, so I am hoping to realize some benefits, here, eventually. Much learning to be done, here's hoping....

^^^ What he said

This is nice thinking....in theory. But in actuality what EDC offers...is far from what coilovers offer. Yes Coilovers are fantastic...and lower the car...but settings can NOT be changed on the fly, as with EDC. Adjusting height is a chore...and technically requires an alignment afterwards and adjusting dampening and rebound requires the car to be on ramps or a jack to get at the dials. Relatively easy....but requires some time and effort.

Coils are fine if you want to be able to set it and forget it...but to think you'll be adjusting them frequently is unrealistic. Great for having Track settings and street settings of course, as you mentioned.

With that said...I love the functionality of EDC!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #46
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
My thinking is (and I am likely trying to rationalize the purchase of this, incorrectly specified, car) that I will be able to adjust the same parameters as EDC, only to a much finer level, in terms of damping. In addition, I will have the ability to adjust ride height, which is great (I would like to reduce the fender gap somewhat) - again, the coilovers will allow this.
What they don't give you is the active feature of EDC which constantly adjusts damper valving depending on conditions. That said, I think you will be just fine without it.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #47
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
This is nice thinking....in theory. But in actuality what EDC offers...is far from what coilovers offer. Yes Coilovers are fantastic...and lower the car...but settings can NOT be changed on the fly, as with EDC. Adjusting height is a chore...and technically requires an alignment afterwards and adjusting dampening and rebound requires the car to be on ramps or a jack to get at the dials. Relatively easy....but requires some time and effort.

Coils are fine if you want to be able to set it and forget it...but to think you'll be adjusting them frequently is unrealistic. Great for having Track settings and street settings of course, as you mentioned.

With that said...I love the functionality of EDC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
What they don't give you is the active feature of EDC which constantly adjusts damper valving depending on conditions. That said, I think you will be just fine without it.
Thanks, guys. Yep, I certainly realize that coilovers will not be ideal, but then I am also thinking that EDC is not the perfect solution, either. On one hand, I like the ride height adjustability of the coilovers, but on the other, adjusting on the fly, and, as you say, Greg, the real time adjustment, automatically, is huge.
I think adjusting the coilovers won't be too bad. We have a four-post lift in the garage with the hydraulic jack, that I am using constantly in the summertime, so access shouldn't be an issue.
Without a doubt, I am trying to see positives here, where initially, I could only see red because of the dealer's omission.
I appreciate the comments!
Fingers crossed I am making the right (i.e. - acceptable) decision!
Appreciate 0