BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

01-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Mods4cars SmartTop/RemoteKEY/SmartTV battery drain questions

I have some questions regarding the issue described here: http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...BATTERY/en.php

Has anyone experienced this problem?

1) How quickly does the battery drain when the SmartTop is hooked up as directed by the original installation instructions?

2) Is there a recommended power source in M3 E93s to tap into for the SmartTop?

3) If the module is disabled (Setting 1 = 0) and it is hooked up to the switched power (per original installation instructions), will the battery be drained?

Thank you.

Last edited by tlr; 01-07-2011 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr View Post
I have some questions regarding the issue described here: http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...BATTERY/en.php

Has anyone experienced this problem?

1) How quickly does the battery drain when the SmartTop is hooked up as directed by the installation instructions?

2) Is there a recommended power source in M3 E93s to tap into for the SmartTop?

3) If the module is disabled (Setting 1 = 0) and it is hooked up to the switched power (as directed by the installation instructions), will the battery be drained?

Thank you.
Changing settings has no effect on power consumption. Proper installation instructions for M3 Convertibles can be viewed at this link: http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...stall_3/en.php

All smartTV, remoteKEY+ & smarTOP modules enter into a sleep mode (approx 15mA draw) after approximately 15 minutes of inactivity when the key is removed to prevent excessive battery drain.

If you have any further questions, please contact me directly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Changing settings has no effect on power consumption. Proper installation instructions for M3 Convertibles can be viewed at this link: http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...stall_3/en.php

All smartTV, remoteKEY+ & smarTOP modules enter into a sleep mode (approx 15mA draw) after approximately 15 minutes of inactivity when the key is removed to prevent excessive battery drain.

If you have any further questions, please contact me directly.
I have read that installation manual many times and successfully installed the module, but those instructions are outdated, look at the link I posted. My questions are in response to the problems discussed on that page.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
martinmartin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: i7

Oh man...

"If you get any error messages about power drain, a battery warning or a workshop symbol, or if the trunk button does not react after the car has been sitting for a while, this is the reason why."

I installed the smarttv a few days ago and my comfort access to the trunk stopped working correctly since...

I'm hoping Tom @ EAS can chime in on a way to fix this problem. (i.e. the easiest way to reroute the power...)

Last edited by martinmartin; 01-07-2011 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmartin View Post
Oh man...

"If you get any error messages about power drain, a battery warning or a workshop symbol, or if the trunk button does not react after the car has been sitting for a while, this is the reason why."

I installed the smarttv a few days ago and my comfort access to the trunk stopped working correctly since...

I'm hoping Tom @ EAS can chime in on a way to fix this problem.
Well I think tapping into a 12V source that doesn't shut off is supposed to fix it. I'm just trying to figure out how long my battery will last since I won't be able to get around to doing the workaround for awhile.

It's really annoying this issue isn't mentioned anywhere except buried on the mods4cars website. I didn't discover it until after I finished installing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Oh man...

I'm hoping Tom @ EAS can chime in on a way to fix this problem. (i.e. the easiest way to reroute the power...)
Which module do you have installed?

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
martinmartin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which module do you have installed?
Smart TV.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
martinmartin
Private
United_States
Rep

Here is the proposed solution from mods4cars (hopefully someone can translate this into a DIY for M3s...):

"Solution: Disconnect the power wire from the thick red power wire to the top control module (smartTOP) or the radio (smartTV) and connect it to an unswitched (Terminal 30) wire, directly to a fuse powering a Terminal 30 circuit, or run a wire (with inline fuse!) directly to the battery "+" terminal.
We recommend getting a ~6ft long power wire with 1 or 2 Amp. inline fuse, available in car accessory shops for example to hook up radar detectors or CB radios."
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Well I think tapping into a 12V source that doesn't shut off is supposed to fix it. I'm just trying to figure out how long my battery will last since I won't be able to get around to doing the workaround for awhile.

It's really annoying this issue isn't mentioned anywhere except buried on the mods4cars website. I didn't discover it until after I finished installing it.
Quote:
Here is the proposed solution from mods4cars (hopefully someone can translate this into a DIY for M3s...):

"Solution: Disconnect the power wire from the thick red power wire to the top control module (smartTOP) or the radio (smartTV) and connect it to an unswitched (Terminal 30) wire, directly to a fuse powering a Terminal 30 circuit, or run a wire (with inline fuse!) directly to the battery "+" terminal.
We recommend getting a ~6ft long power wire with 1 or 2 Amp. inline fuse, available in car accessory shops for example to hook up radar detectors or CB radios."
This was the case on older produced modules, current modules do not require this.

Please - if you have any questions, email me directly so this does not confuse other module owners.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This was the case on older produced modules, current modules do not require this.

Please - if you have any questions, email me directly so this does not confuse other module owners.
It seemed like a valid concern considering their documentation says "ALL BMW modules" (http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...BATTERY/en.php) and I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere on these forums. Glad to see it's been fixed though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
martinmartin
Private
United_States
Rep

Update

I talked with someone at Mods4cars (the manufacturer of the smarttv, remotekey, smarttop) about this issue.

He told me that there is no hardware update that would solve the issue. Also, he said they are unsure exactly which models/years have this 'problem.' The only issue i could confirm on my car was that the comfort access at the trunk didnt work correctly after the car had been sitting for a period of time (maybe 15 minutes or more??). I can't confirm or deny that i had any type of abnormal battery drain. But since i did have the trunk issue, i didnt feel comfortable leaving the unit as is.

Mods4cars recommended that instead of tapping power as indicated in the instructions (behind the radio), to rather tap power from under the glove box. I was told to follow steps 31-33 from here: http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...install/en.php So I did this and everything seems to be working fine now.

Something to note - the harnesses in my 2011 e92 (june 2010 production) were reversed (see picture) when compared to the manual attached above. The black harness was on the right in my car - this was the one i used for power. The power (blue/red) wire was in pin 3.

Since making the change, the comfort access at the trunk is working again. I don't drive the car that often and often have it on a battery tender - so i cant comment on any other side effects at this point, though i dont expect there to be any.
Attached Images

Last edited by martinmartin; 01-18-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've also noticed the trunk comfort access problem. So it has not been completely fixed in newer modules like tom@eas claimed.

Martin have you tried running a dedicated power wire, and did that fix it? I guess I'll have to give that a try.

Quote:
I talked with someone at Mods4cars (the manufacturer of the smarttv, remotekey, smarttop) about this issue.

He told me that there is no hardware update that would solve the issue. Also, he said they are unsure exactly which models/years have this 'problem.' The only issue i could confirm on my car was that the comfort access at the trunk didnt work correctly after the car had been sitting for a period of time (maybe 15 minutes or more??). I can't confirm or deny that i had any type of abnormal battery drain. But since i did have the trunk issue, i didnt feel comfortable leaving the unit as is.

Mods4cars recommended that instead of tapping power as indicated in the instructions (behind the radio), to rather tap power from under the glove box. I was told to follow steps 31-33 from here: http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...install/en.php

Something to note - the harnesses in my 2011 e92 (june 2010 production) were reversed (see picture) when compared to the manual attached above. The black harness was on the right in my car - this was the one i used for power. The power (blue/red) wire was in pin 3.

Since making the change, the comfort access at the trunk is working again. I don't drive the car that often and often have it on a battery tender - so i cant comment on any other side effects at this point, though i dont expect there to be any.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
martinmartin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've also noticed the trunk comfort access problem. So it has not been completely fixed in newer modules like tom@eas claimed.

Martin have you tried running a dedicated power wire, and did that fix it? I guess I'll have to give that a try.
I tapped power from under the glove box as directed in the install manual in my post above (check out steps 31-33). Everything seems to be working fine now.

Mods4cars did say that they can't pinpoint which models/years have this issue.

Both Tom and Mods4cars were very helpful in assisting me getting the install straightened out. I did have to go to radio shack to get some wire/taps/butt connectors, etc. to run the wire from the smarttv to under the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

i purchased the remotekey+ from eas and have the same problem.

when i don't lock the car the remotekey does not power off completely and when the car starts back up it shows battery /voltage low. I've been living with the issue for a year now and have double checked all connections / taps.
      01-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
i purchased the remotekey+ from eas and have the same problem.

when i don't lock the car the remotekey does not power off completely and when the car starts back up it shows battery /voltage low. I've been living with the issue for a year now and have double checked all connections / taps.
Can I have the serial number from your module?

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Quote:
Can I have the serial number from your module?
will send it tonight. thanks tom as always
      02-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:

Mods4cars recommended that instead of tapping power as indicated in the instructions (behind the radio), to rather tap power from under the glove box. I was told to follow steps 31-33 from here: http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...install/en.php So I did this and everything seems to be working fine now.

Would you be able to provide pics (DIY) of how/where you ran the tapped power wire from the front glovebox to the backseat? I have a 2007 335i E93 thinking of purchasing smarttop but first want to make sure I know how to install this thing correctly beforehand.

Also, I would imagine that for instructions 31-33 from the link you provided that you only want to tap the power (pin 3) only and not the other pins for ground and CAN Bus (those those be tapped from instructions 10-12 from the original instructions), can you confirm. I'm also assuming that you used the supplied T-taps to tap the wire from the glovebox and didn't have to purchase any extra accessories except for the 6' power wire.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just following up, I haven't noticed any problems on my 2011.5, except possibly the trunk comfort access but I can't confirm whether the behavoir is different than before the module was installed.

Basically it takes a couple tugs on the handle and a few seconds for the trunk to unlock and open. Is this normal behavior, or a result of the SmartTop?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchaniar View Post
Would you be able to provide pics (DIY) of how/where you ran the tapped power wire from the front glovebox to the backseat? I have a 2007 335i E93 thinking of purchasing smarttop but first want to make sure I know how to install this thing correctly beforehand.

Also, I would imagine that for instructions 31-33 from the link you provided that you only want to tap the power (pin 3) only and not the other pins for ground and CAN Bus (those those be tapped from instructions 10-12 from the original instructions), can you confirm. I'm also assuming that you used the supplied T-taps to tap the wire from the glovebox and didn't have to purchase any extra accessories except for the 6' power wire.

Thanks.
It would be much easier to take power off the battery directly for SmartTOP rather than route a wire to the glovebox.

FYI: Modules manufactured/sold after Sept 2010 do not require this.

Quote:
Just following up, I haven't noticed any problems on my 2011.5, except possibly the trunk comfort access but I can't confirm whether the behavoir is different than before the module was installed.

Basically it takes a couple tugs on the handle and a few seconds for the trunk to unlock and open. Is this normal behavior, or a result of the SmartTop?
SmartTOP has no bearing on existing features, placing the module into bypass mode will verify this if needed.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

FWIW, SmartTV didn't affect my CA trunk access on my 2011.5.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #21
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
FWIW, SmartTV didn't affect my CA trunk access on my 2011.5.
SmartTV doesn't apply, plus you have a newer module.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It would be much easier to take power off the battery directly for SmartTOP rather than route a wire to the glovebox.

FYI: Modules manufactured/sold after Sept 2010 do not require this.

SmartTOP has no bearing on existing features, placing the module into bypass mode will verify this if needed.
Not intentionally, of course, but several people have reported issues with Comfort Access and the trunk, and in fact the manufacturer's page warning about the problem itself says "if the trunk button does not react after the car has been sitting for a while, this is the reason why". I remain unconvinced there are no problems with the latest versions of the modules on certain vehicles without the dedicated power tap workaround (especially given the manufacturer told martinmartin "there is no hardware update that would solve the issue."). It would not surprise me if bypass mode did not eliminate the problem either, since the module remains powered acting as a "router", but I'll give it a try.

So can someone please verify that stock E93s with Comfort Access (and NO mods4cars modules installed) take several seconds and/or pulls on the trunk handle to unlock/open after leaving the car locked and untouched for, say, 1 hour or more?

If that is the case then it appears that my SmartTOP module (purchased from EAS in November) and vehicle (2011.5) do not conflict. Otherwise this is still a problem and I will have to run a dedicated power tap.
Appreciate 0