BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Choosing a look for my M3

My plans for my M3 have always been more about function over form, and I naively didn't expect to need to worry about how my various mods would pull together in terms of appearance, but most mods have an aesthetic component to them, which I'm realizing have to be harmonized so that one doesn't end up with a piecemeal, hodge podge look.

Currently, my car is IB over black with 30% ceramic tint and the chrome OEM grill and side gills. I have the Dinan exhaust, which has black tips. I'm also installing a Vorsteiner Type II rear diffuser this weekend. I am in the process of purchasing from a fellow forum member a lightly used StopTech BBK in red.

Long story short, I'm in on the RAC wheel group buy, and we have to make color decisions this week or early next week. Right now, my order is for a set in silver, but anthracite could also be a nice possibility. The choice of wheel color will send me in one of at least two directions, and any input, photoshopping or pictures of similar cars would be helpful.

One thought is to stick with the silver wheels and keep the chrome grill and side gills for a more formal, classy look. This would show off the very nice design of the RAC wheels. On the other hand, I'm not sure how the red BBK would look behind the silver wheels (I suppose I could paint them) or how the silver look will match with the black exhaust tips/rear diffuser.

Another option would be to go with the wheels in anthracite and add the matte black grill and side gills. This would give me more of a sporty, blacked out IB look all around. I think the red BBK would look really good behind the anthracite wheels.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have other ideas I haven't thought of.

08-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Personally dont think you can go wrong either way. Both the styles you are thinking about would flow nicely.

I'd lean a little more to anthracite wheels and blacking out the grilles. The red calipers would "pop" more and it would match nicely with the Dinan exhaust.

Also if you think that it would be too much black with the grilles, then you can always color the side grilles IB and the front grille matte black/glossy black to break it up a bit. Its what I did.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 08-05-2009 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm leaning that way as well.

Where did you get your glossy black grill? I've only seen the matte stuff so far, but I think the glossy would look better with IB.

Your car is one of my favorite IBs. Very simple and it manages to be aggressive and classy at the same time. My biggest fear with my car is going overboard, if you know what I mean.
      08-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Totally understand. Im the same way with my car.

We sell painted front grilles and side grilles as well.

This is what I did. Black glossy front. They are matte black grilles that are painted. More durable that way. Another reason i did glossy was so it would match the window trim and side mirrors.

Also side matte black grilles painted IB with the LED lens tinted black.

Hope that helps.
      08-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Totally understand. Im the same way with my car.

We sell painted front grilles and side grilles as well.

This is what I did. Black glossy front. They are matte black grilles that are painted. More durable that way.

Also side matte black grilles painted IB with the LED lens tinted black.

Hope that helps.
Ooooooh...I like those side gills much better than anything else I've seen. Very, very nice. Do the LEDs still show up pretty well through the tint? Also, the color matches well in those pics, but from seeing some bad color matched side reflectors, I have some concerns on that front.

I still want to get some more opinions and ideas, but these pics are pushing me even further toward going the darker route on my car. Can you pm me prices?
      08-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yes, LEDs are still pretty bright and can easily be seen when flashing.

PM sent.
      08-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Yes, LEDs are still pretty bright and can easily be seen when flashing.

PM sent.
Can you PM me a price for the side gills painted jet black not tinted.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
AlbinoSnail
n00bie
United_States
Rep
Drives: three.thirty.five.i.

dat colourr =
      08-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Tlud: When you get your rear diffuser installed, we'll go on a more respectable photoshoot, not in the middle of the street of some random neighborhood, that neither of us live in, with other cars in the shot, and away from 335i's wanting to be in the shot ha ha!

I'd go with the gloss black grill, gloss back M3 badge, IB side markers with no tint on the lens housing, and anthracite wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Your car is going to look fantastic regardless what colors/upgrades you choose. You're going to hear many different opinions, but at the end, IT'S YOUR CAR.
I'd strongly recommend you get the wheels right, since you'd lose the most money if you make a mistake. Then I'd go ONE MOD AT A TIME after that. Drive the car around for a couple of days, and once you get used to the new looks, decide what's next.

I told you I'd choose silver wheels (and calipers) to add contrast to a dark car, and to show off your nice wheels/BBK. Your stock gills would look fine too, just like they look fine with stock 19s, due to their polished face (that's why I like them so much). The grilles could be black, since the rear is all black too due to your Dinans (didn't think of that before, when I said black grilles and gills or nothing). That way the car would look all black front and rear, but not dull from the side. Best of both worlds .

You have enough ideas here to help you make up your mind. Good luck man, and please keep us posted .
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

TLud I would recommend not doing Matte grills.
I was all about it until I saw them in person, they look very cool from afar but close up it cheapens the look of our M3s.

Obviously just my opinion, but if you want black, go gloss or painted or stick with the chrome which might be the best option.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Also, the red BBK will look good behind either color wheel.
Anthracite might be a fun look, but don't think you need to make any modifications of the grills if you have darker wheels.
My wheels are matte black, it gives the badass persona but keeps the classy look without being "overdone".
I've seen tons of pics of our cars through the past 10 months and I believe less is truly more with our cars.

p.s. RACs are going to be awesome, you'll love em!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the very helpful input, guys. Despite your help and countless hours scouring the internet and forums for pictures, I'm still very much torn. The fact that I'm so undecided and that I'm getting support for both directions tells me that it'll be hard to go wrong either way.

JC, you hit the nail on the head when you said that the decision starts with the wheels. Unfortunately, IB is a tough color to decide on, and I have gotten recommendations for three different colors. I was initially leaning toward silver, but my wife, who is very good at visualization and decorating has been pushing me toward the semi-gloss anthracite or matte gunmetal wheels. I have to decide what I want this weekend, and I have a feeling that it will pretty much come down to a coin toss at this point.

HREM3, if I change the grills, I'll definitely be going with the gloss black. I think you're exactly right that the matte black doesn't look as good up close. It also doesn't match with anything else on the car. I've also been looking at pictures of blue Porsche's with the red calipers, and they do look good behind either color wheel. I think they would look best behind anthracite, but either would work just fine.

Frank, thanks for the offer of a better photography session. Let's do it...

Below are a few pictures I've been looking at to get a sense of what I want to do. If anyone has any others, please post them up.

The RAC wheels haven't been produced yet, but here's a good picture of what they'll look like in silver (obviously with a 5-bolt pattern instead of the center hub):

Here's a similar style wheel in a matte gunmetal color on an Interlagos Blue M5:

Another picture of the same car. I think the goofy 5 series lights mess up the look, so it's hard to judge.
      08-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Since you like function over form and that you are getting the red stoptech bbk... IMO anthracite wheels, gloss black kidneys, and IB side gills will give you that sporty look yet be very tasteful and classy.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

Personally I wouldn't do the black grills and side vents. I've never really understood either of those mods and don't like the look, especially on a blue car. Either colour for the wheels would look good.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #16
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I'd go with the gloss black grill, gloss back M3 badge, IB side markers with no tint on the lens housing, and anthracite wheels.
+1
I like that look too. But I'd probably go with gloss black side markers instead to create a bit of a contrast on the side of the car.

I went all matte black (grills, gills, badge, license plate frame) and my car looks sick IMO.

BTW, every time is see an IB M3, I kick myself for not getting that colour.

Oh yeah, those red BBK's are gonna look crazy on your car.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I say go with the gunmetal wheels. With the black trim pieces, the silver wheels may be too bright for some, but I'm really not a fan of black wheels.

My problem with black wheels, is that tires are black, and wheel wells are dark, shadowy areas. 90% of the time, when I see black wheels, it just looks like a big black blob in the wheel well, and you don't really get to 'see' the wheel. It almost 'camouflages' your painstakingly chosen wheel. To me, black wheels basically look like you're rolling on steelies.

Gunmetal FTW!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, I had to make a decision on the wheel color this weekend. The nice thing about getting a limited run wheel like the RACs is that almost no one else will have them. The bad part is that you don't have an opportunity to see them built or painted first, so it's hard to visualize how they'll look in the various colors offered. That being the case, I ended up going with silver wheels. Also, I surfed the web for pics of IB M cars and, with one exception, the ones I liked the best all had silver wheels. Maybe I'm playing it too safe, but I know I'll be happy with the silver.

I will leave the front grill stock, and I'll either keep the side gills stock or do them color-matched with no tint on the lense (Jesal, I may be contacting you soon about these). I think HREM3 hit the nail on the head when he said less is more with these cars.

MMMorish, I did a quick search for pics of your car and didn't find any. You should post some up!

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and suggestions. It was good to get the different perspectives.
      08-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #19
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Change of plans. I decided not to play it safe and changed my wheel order to gunmetal. Here's a photoshop I did (my first ever, so don't laugh) using a similar wheel (the RG4) in the same gunmetal color. The RG63 I'm getting will look even better. I really like the way the red brake calipers look with it too.

(Thanks to frankzlin for the photo of my car.)
      08-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Change of plans. I decided not to play it safe and changed my wheel order to gunmetal. Here's a photoshop I did (my first ever, so don't laugh) using a similar wheel (the RG4) in the same gunmetal color. The RG63 I'm getting will look even better. I really like the way the red brake calipers look with it too.

(Thanks to frankzlin for the photo of my car.)
That photoshop turned out kind of cool with the wheel out of round and everything. Kind of like a cartoon, how the wheels tilt forward when something's going fast...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #21
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
That photoshop turned out kind of cool with the wheel out of round and everything. Kind of like a cartoon, how the wheels tilt forward when something's going fast...
LOL. I didn't notice that before, but you're right. Makes the M3 look fast standing still.
      08-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #22
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Does your new StopTech's come with the red calipers? I would like to have red calipers too, but not looking to spend any money on the car right now. Having the OEM calipers painted would be a cheap option, but would be a major pain for me, since my M3 is my only car.
Appreciate 0