BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

05-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #67
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
You realize that the reason why there are no deals and long waits for the S5 is because Audi is making realative few of them and demand is very high. They don't need to do anyhting to sell the car.

As for the idea that a DB9 or Conti GT is a substitute for the RS5, you are out of your mind. You may be able to buy a DB9/GT out of the States for close to the same initial purchase price (though with the dollar at 1.2288 and a 6% import duty I don't think you can) but the running costs are astronomical. Call a Bentley or AM dealership and ask them about maintenance. You probably can't get an AMV8 out of the States for less than what the RS5 will go for.
Firstly the Conti is nothing short of hideous. A big over sized blob with no character and the interior you'd expect for an old mans car. But that's just my opinion of course.

As for the Aston there are any amount of V8's in the US 2007 year asking $70k so less with haggling in the current economic state down there. With exchange and duty you're still going to be cheaper than the RS5 if one tickles your fancy. There are also a few 2005 DB9's if you wanted to go V12 for $70k. Of course you then have to accept that you're not in the same league for build or reliability but both are way more "desirable" than the RS5 or M3.
I was going to go with a V8 from the US when I got here but got too good a deal on my M3 in St. Catharines to pass it up.

Last edited by SoreHead; 05-24-2009 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #68
naveenb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
That's not the RS5 I've seen final pictures of. The red one below is however. The arches on the actual car are waaaay wider than that.

The one I saw was in dark grey and look great. Never really fancied a red car. Looks a bit too girly/non-serious for my liking. I also have no great love of the S5/A5 looks at all. In the right colour it's not bad but more like a slightly melted A4 than a new car. I much prefer the agressive look of the M3 coupe. The RS5 definitely looks like it will be more agressive but I'll wait to see it in the flesh.

My prediction is at least $15k more than the M3 coupe.
i think you are pretty much on with the price point.

WANTED:
Audi S4<Audi S5<BMW M3 sedan<Audi RS5
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #69
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Firstly the Conti is nothing short of hideous. A big over sized blob with no character and the interior you'd expect for an old mans car. But that's just my opinion of course.

As for the Aston there are any amount of V8's in the US 2007 year asking $70k so less with haggling in the current economic state down there. With exchange and duty you're still going to be cheaper than the RS5 if one tickles your fancy. There are also a few 2005 DB9's if you wanted to go V12 for $70k. Of course you then have to accept that you're not in the same league for build or reliability but both are way more "desirable" than the RS5 or M3.
I was going to go with a V8 from the US when I got here but got too good a deal on my M3 in St. Catharines to pass it up.
Exchange rates have changed a bit since I wrote that. Asuming you can get the AM V8 at 70k USD, you are still looking at 83k CAD after import duty and exchange (and that assumes you don't need to change out the speedo, or add an immobilizer). Back when I originally wrote that, the exchange rate was much higher and the AM would have been closer to 92k CAD.

I don't see that as being a really compelling value. You get a car that may have been beaten on by a previous owner, you then have to try to find someone local to work on it, and the local dealers aren't huge fans of people buying out of the states.

But I'm also not a huge believer that the next RS4/5 will be substantially more expensive than an M3. I think dropping the V6 from the A4 will allow Audi to move the S4 down market and have the RS4 slot in at a much lover price than we are used to. They really have no choice unless they only want to sell a few hundred a year in NA, and I think Audi has larger plans.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #70
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Exchange rates have changed a bit since I wrote that. Asuming you can get the AM V8 at 70k USD, you are still looking at 83k CAD after import duty and exchange (and that assumes you don't need to change out the speedo, or add an immobilizer). Back when I originally wrote that, the exchange rate was much higher and the AM would have been closer to 92k CAD.

I don't see that as being a really compelling value. You get a car that may have been beaten on by a previous owner, you then have to try to find someone local to work on it, and the local dealers aren't huge fans of people buying out of the states.

But I'm also not a huge believer that the next RS4/5 will be substantially more expensive than an M3. I think dropping the V6 from the A4 will allow Audi to move the S4 down market and have the RS4 slot in at a much lover price than we are used to. They really have no choice unless they only want to sell a few hundred a year in NA, and I think Audi has larger plans.
For and Aston Martin it is very compelling to me as the same car in Ireland would run you somewhere in the region of CAD$180,000 for that year but I wouldn't rush into Aston ownership anyway.

I looked into the speedo thing and once the speedo shows both mph and kph there is no legal requirement to change it out for driving in Canada. I was looking at bringing in a couple of Maseratis and contacted them here and they do say you have to change and the speedo and software needed runs around CAD$10,000 which is a rip-off. I told them to go stick their cars where the sun don't shine. If I really wanted one I'd consider fighting them on it.

On the pricing, the problem they have is that even though they're moving to V6 power they have existing S5 owners and owners to be that are paying the high price they have right now. They would seriously alienate those customers if they then introduced a new S5 with substantially lower pricing and then an RS5 that was only a small amount more expensive. I think they'll find it hard to reduce the price from that point of view. Who knows though. Wait and see. I have 3 years left on my M3 lease so it won't affect me yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #71
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
For and Aston Martin it is very compelling to me as the same car in Ireland would run you somewhere in the region of CAD$180,000 for that year but I wouldn't rush into Aston ownership anyway.

I looked into the speedo thing and once the speedo shows both mph and kph there is no legal requirement to change it out for driving in Canada. I was looking at bringing in a couple of Maseratis and contacted them here and they do say you have to change and the speedo and software needed runs around CAD$10,000 which is a rip-off. I told them to go stick their cars where the sun don't shine. If I really wanted one I'd consider fighting them on it.

On the pricing, the problem they have is that even though they're moving to V6 power they have existing S5 owners and owners to be that are paying the high price they have right now. They would seriously alienate those customers if they then introduced a new S5 with substantially lower pricing and then an RS5 that was only a small amount more expensive. I think they'll find it hard to reduce the price from that point of view. Who knows though. Wait and see. I have 3 years left on my M3 lease so it won't affect me yet.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the new rs5 won't be coming to NA. They'll move the price point lower with the rs4 and s4.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #72
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that the new rs5 won't be coming to NA. They'll move the price point lower with the rs4 and s4.
Why not?
I presume they plan to bring the new RS4 here. Isn't the RS5 the same thing in all but body?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #73
naveenb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing yet...

Quote:
Why not?
I presume they plan to bring the new RS4 here. Isn't the RS5 the same thing in all but body?
what i was reading that there was going to be no rs4 with the b8. a rumor i read on the internet.

WANTED:
Audi S4<Audi S5<BMW M3 sedan<Audi RS5
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #74
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Hate to quote myself, but just saw that the S4 will start at $52,500 in Canada. Seems to be aimed squarely at the 335. Leave plenty of room to squeeze the RS4 in at a price that challenges the M3.
Appreciate 0