BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

05-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

A Look Inside the Rahal Letterman ALMS GT BMW M3 Coupes

Credit goes to AC330ci in the track section.

I thought it was a great read.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...m3-coupes.aspx

The air ducting is amazing, particularly the ducts up front that vent out the top of the hood and the ones that run the length of much of the car.
The Magnesium VOLKS are sexy too.

A Look Inside: The Rahal Letterman ALMS GT BMW M3 Coupes
By Mike Kojima, photos by Jeff Naeyaert
Thanks to our friends at Volk Wheels, the technical staff at MotoIQ had a special opportunity to get a close insider's look at BMW's uber-trick factory works BMW M3's that Rahal-Letterman racing campaign in ALMS's GT class. If you do a google search on these cars, you will not find much information on them because until now, no one that cares has gotten a really close look at these amazing machines. Most reports have pretty pictures of the cars and stuff about the "Story of Joy" marketing campaign that the cars are promoting but in typical MotoIQ form, we will take you inside like no one else has before.

The Rahal Letterman BMW M3's are a factory effort and are campaigned in ALMS in the GT category by Bill Auberlen, Tommy Milner, Joey Hand and Dirk Muller. The GT class cars must retain the factory unibody or body in white but are allowed quite a bit of leeway in their modifications. In short, these M3's are like something you might build for Time Attack's Unlimited class if you had money--a lot of it.
This was as close as we were allowed to the engine. It could be a carbon shrouded lawnmower in there for all we know! We will first take you through the engine since we don't know very much about it. The team's engineers were very quiet when we asked them about the engines specs and we were not allowed within 20 feet of the engines or any internal components. We do know that the engines are V8 derivatives of the factory M3 engines. They displace 4 liters and pump out 485 hp and 368 lb/ft of torque vs the stock M3's 415 hp. The stock block and cylinder head castings are used. No titanium is used anywhere in the engine under homologation rules.

[MORE HERE: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...m3-coupes.aspx
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Siiiiick Love the ducting
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

i bet those duct structures cost as much as the M3 car itself... lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
This is also a very nice article IMO to learn a little bit about the differences in race cars...+ get ideas
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Kojima does good work
      05-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep