BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-22-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

BBS CH-R : Painting rim guard / Black bolts?

So after sitting in storage for 4 months I have finally had my brand spanking new BBS CH-R's installed today.

They look beautiful!

I have 2 gripes with them though, bare in mind I ordered the black version of the rims:

A) The rim guard is a silver color. Has anyone had theirs painted? If so, what is the process you used? I would really like this guard black.

B) Are black bolts available? Not sure why, but BBS included silver bolts. Can black bolts be had?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

1) Haven't painted it. I'm sure it could be done, but to get it to look right when someone is looking at your wheel up close would probably be difficult. It would be easier to paint it some other contrasting color rather than try to match the exact shade and finish of black. The guard is replaceable if you mess up, but it's a pain to get the old one and its old adhesive off. New ones cost $54 each through Tire Rack.

2) Some CH-R can use the original BMW bolt. Some require a longer bolt. Check the threaded length and seat shape of the bolts that a came with it vs the OE. If they match the originals then you could use the standard black BMW lugs.
      04-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'm going to have to think it over. The fellows at the tire shop here said that the best they can recommend is plastidip'ing it. Not sure I like that idea.

As far as the bolts, they took a quick look at the stock BMW bolts vs. the ones that came with the CH-R's and they said we need to use the CH-R ones.

Anyways, will see what google has to say about both of these issues.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
1) Haven't painted it. I'm sure it could be done, but to get it to look right when someone is looking at your wheel up close would probably be difficult. It would be easier to paint it some other contrasting color rather than try to match the exact shade and finish of black. The guard is replaceable if you mess up, but it's a pain to get the old one and its old adhesive off. New ones cost $54 each through Tire Rack.

2) Some CH-R can use the original BMW bolt. Some require a longer bolt. Check the threaded length and seat shape of the bolts that a came with it vs the OE. If they match the originals then you could use the standard black BMW lugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:10 AM   #4
ldawgtheg
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3 - IB 6 spd ZCP

Looking for more info on this too. I just might go for the plastidip if all else fails.
Appreciate 0