BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
Kickhard
Rep
Drives: M3 Cabrio

I know this is a BMW site but some of the comments are not quite in my reasoning but I guess thats why they have apples, oranges and bananas etc.. I have been a AMG man myself but got tired of how crappy MB service has been here so I decided to give BMW a try. I just this week picked up a lease turn in 2008-M3-cabrio-6sp-Space Gray with only 24k on the clock. With it being driven by a lady and being turn into a CPO car also you cant go wrong I think.
Pros: I love the comfort/luxury the car has and it seems to be a pretty decent daily driver so far. It is also pretty squeak and rattle free for a convertible.
Cons: is I wish it had more low end tq. This would be better for launching the car off the line and help with driving in stop and go traffic.

That being said the best handling fastest "stock" car I have owned has bar none, hands down been the GTR. After a year or two I will probably get another one. I only had a cobb tune with mid pipes and exhaust and it was a beast. My only pet peeve would be the spartan interior. It could be a bit more luxurious and have better quality materials used but other than that it was a great ride. The service scare that circulated around the web was totally false as was the glass transmissions too. What made that car so great was the combination of 4 things = AWD+Dual Clutch transmission+electronics and of course the 3.8 liter twin turbo V6. If you can afford one get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post
I've had the M3 for 1000 miles now and really like it...but it's not a race car.
+1. Kudos to the BMW marketing department!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #25
Kickhard
Rep
Drives: M3 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Price is to high. That car should be in the mid 60's. The MSRP on my old Super Silver car was in the 76500 range and my car had the $3000 extra charge for the paint. So this person is asking near or over the old MSRP back in 2009/2010 for it. If you are really serious about getting a GTR go to Nagtroc.com (GTR site) I only posted my car there when I sold it and it sold in honestly less than a day. Posted on july 3rd late night and it sold july 4th afternoon. Most cars there the owners all know each other and most cars posted seem to be honest cars(as advertised)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

The only race car I've owned, honestly, was my '05 STI. lol The '04, the first model brought to the US, was really a race car. That car was amazing. Rawest car I've ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
Why would he come here to the M3 fanboy thread?... I believe the M3 is a superior car in every way but everyone has their own opinion, needs and wants out of a car. That does not mean a C63 is shit... it is just not the car for me but if it is the car for someone else, I am just glad they got the car they wanted.

Just tell me when did I say that the C63 is shit? Tell me when have I attacked his opinion about the M3 or the C63? I just made a comment since he usually participates in threads where the C63 is discussed. And he does defend the C63. So take chill pill dude.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

When will everyone here stop hating?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #29
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
In before gthal delivers his rebuttal
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post
Sincerely don't want to be a wise ass here, but this tells me you've never been in a race car.

Having come from a GTR to the M3, my overwhelming impression is a genuine amazement at just how comfortable the M3 is. It provides near Cadillac levels of comfort.

As well, having fun with a GT3 on the track...is what a "race car modified for luxury" really is.

I would never classify the M3 as a race car, or even something close to it.

I've had the M3 for 1000 miles now and really like it...but it's not a race car.
Ok. My race car driver friend.. I think we can both agree that the M3 is much more of a 'race car' than the C63. That was his point, and I'd agree with it. I'm not stating that the M3 is as raw of a car as the GTR or a GT3. But in comparison to the c63, it feels like more of a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #31
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickhard View Post
I know this is a BMW site but some of the comments are not quite in my reasoning but I guess thats why they have apples, oranges and bananas etc.. I have been a AMG man myself but got tired of how crappy MB service has been here so I decided to give BMW a try. I just this week picked up a lease turn in 2008-M3-cabrio-6sp-Space Gray with only 24k on the clock. With it being driven by a lady and being turn into a CPO car also you cant go wrong I think.
Pros: I love the comfort/luxury the car has and it seems to be a pretty decent daily driver so far. It is also pretty squeak and rattle free for a convertible.
Cons: is I wish it had more low end tq. This would be better for launching the car off the line and help with driving in stop and go traffic.

That being said the best handling fastest "stock" car I have owned has bar none, hands down been the GTR. After a year or two I will probably get another one. I only had a cobb tune with mid pipes and exhaust and it was a beast. My only pet peeve would be the spartan interior. It could be a bit more luxurious and have better quality materials used but other than that it was a great ride. The service scare that circulated around the web was totally false as was the glass transmissions too. What made that car so great was the combination of 4 things = AWD+Dual Clutch transmission+electronics and of course the 3.8 liter twin turbo V6. If you can afford one get it.
Those cabriolets are porkers! I love the GTR.. I think its an amazing machine and for the money, nothing touches it. The backseats are totally worthless, shocking as the car is fucking big. I also find it strange looking. Basically I want a car that is as subtly sexy as the e92m3 and as fast as the GTR for less than 100k. lol. I think the 370z with factory bodykit looks slick, I wish they'd slap a turbo on that thing and it'd be a slick car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #32
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

So how many references to "race car" in this thread so far?
      03-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #33
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
So.. was randomly out yesterday, beautiful day as I rolled past the MB dealership I saw quite a few c63s sitting outside so I decided to see what all the fuss is about. Honestly, was a bit underwhelmed but maybe that is because the car is talked about so much on here.

I love the exhaust note, it sounds great however I still like my exhaust note with the Akra/Dinan Mid pipe more, then again that isn't a fair comparison. So stock for stock, I'd give the c63 the nod. I will say the interior is nice, more modern and the seats although a bit weird I liked.

Looks wise, e92 m3 all day for me but that is largely a subjective thing. Performance wise, the M3 is definitely the better handler and the chassis is just so much tighter. I also prefer the M3's steering feel. I didn't mind the C63s single clutch set up, but the DCT is superior.

As for what everyone raves about.. the brutish engine. Yeah I like the torque, its nice but the car didn't feel faster than my M3(all I have is full exhaust). I do realize it responds great to mods, but once again if you wanted a brutish sports car.. I'd have gotten a z06.

I dunno, overall it is a great car. But the M3 is just much more exhilarating and better put together. You really feel like you're driving a sports car with the M3, it is a fine symphony, the c63 just feels like MB dropped a big ass engine in it and were like off you go. I will say, that the C63 would definitely be the more comfortable DD. But then again, I didn't buy a M3 because I wanted a comfortable DD.

C63 has the double clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #34
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
You're right. The sales guy was wrong. Just looked it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #35
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm
Quote:
So.. was randomly out yesterday, beautiful day as I rolled past the MB dealership I saw quite a few c63s sitting outside so I decided to see what all the fuss is about. Honestly, was a bit underwhelmed but maybe that is because the car is talked about so much on here.

I love the exhaust note, it sounds great however I still like my exhaust note with the Akra/Dinan Mid pipe more, then again that isn't a fair comparison. So stock for stock, I'd give the c63 the nod. I will say the interior is nice, more modern and the seats although a bit weird I liked.

Looks wise, e92 m3 all day for me but that is largely a subjective thing. Performance wise, the M3 is definitely the better handler and the chassis is just so much tighter. I also prefer the M3's steering feel. I didn't mind the C63s single clutch set up, but the DCT is superior.

As for what everyone raves about.. the brutish engine. Yeah I like the torque, its nice but the car didn't feel faster than my M3(all I have is full exhaust). I do realize it responds great to mods, but once again if you wanted a brutish sports car.. I'd have gotten a z06.

I dunno, overall it is a great car. But the M3 is just much more exhilarating and better put together. You really feel like you're driving a sports car with the M3, it is a fine symphony, the c63 just feels like MB dropped a big ass engine in it and were like off you go. I will say, that the C63 would definitely be the more comfortable DD. But then again, I didn't buy a M3 because I wanted a comfortable DD.

No it does not.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #36
FVM3
Major General
Rep

I owned C63 and now m3. IMHO sotck to stock or modded to modded, c63 is the king of drag. A NA c63 with tune and exhaust can push out over 500 rwhp, theres no way m3 can beat this. Interior and exteior is subjective so dont talk about this. Handling a lot of BMW guys say it drives like boat. Ive driven plenty of mercedes and trust me, C63 is totally out of what i expected, it handles way better then what i expected.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #37
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
I owned C63 and now m3. IMHO sotck to stock or modded to modded, c63 is the king of drag. A NA c63 with tune and exhaust can push out over 500 rwhp, theres no way m3 can beat this. Interior and exteior is subjective so dont talk about this. Handling a lot of BMW guys say it drives like boat. Ive driven plenty of mercedes and trust me, C63 is totally out of what i expected, it handles way better then what i expected.
Why did you go with the M3?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #38
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I went to take a close look at a C63. Outside of the 6.2 liter engine (that has even more displacement than a GM 350!) and the accompanying exhaust note, the rest of the car doesn't do it for me. The interior of the car does not appear to be on the same level as the 92X's. The bonus points for the C63 going to the more modern dash gauge/cluster. The exterior, I just couldn't feel it. Personally, I think the C63 sedan looks better than the coupe.

Afterwards, I went across the business park to check out the 991 at Champion Porsche. While driving through the dealer lot, the owner of Champion Porsche complimented my M3. Verbatim - "That's a Really Nice Car". Dave Maraj the owner of Champion is one of the biggest car enthusiasts you will find. On top of winning Lemans and Sebring. He know's cars..Over the years, I've met some cool folks there including Hans Stuck and Bill Adam when they drove for Champion.

Back on topic:

The C63 is a nice car - it just doesn't have the design/engineering prowess of the M3. IMHO

Finally got a chance to take a good look at the 991, a logical progression from the M3 I also got a chance to go on a spirited drive in a Panamera GTS - nyccee!!
Attached Images

2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)

Last edited by car_fan; 03-18-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #39
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 S580 Exec

I have no idea what the stats are on the Panamera because I find them to be the most unsightly car introduced since the Pacer. And yeah, that is strictly opinion and completely subjective but there it is, that thing would puke a goat. Also, did I mention its butt ugly? I mean if that thing had a mother she probably hung herself. O_o
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #40
M3maniac20
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe

That's awesome. Haven't had a chance to drive one yet. On the AMGs exhaust note-I do like now loud it is but that's it. It doesn't sound good. I love with the standard M3 exhaust and on the perf exhaust how the sound different and have different pitches between starting up,idling, driving, and flooring it. With the C63 it just seems that it sounds the same no matter what. Another thing I have noticed with AMG is how quick they come out after the normal model. The new ML SUV came out just a few months ago and now the AMG version is out as well and similarly with the C class. It takes years to get the M out.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #41
M3sicko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
In before gthal delivers his rebuttal
1+ I was going to say the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #42
M3sicko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Having had a 2009 C63 for three years I prefer the M3 but I enjoyed the hell out of the C63. I like the high revving S65 and the M-DCT and the handling of the M3 more but it's still pretty close with these cars. For me it's more like 53%M3/47%C63.

good thing tha someone is talking from experience here, but according to gthal the year models makes the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #43
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
I personally think the cts- v is hideous. But thats just me.
no , that's me too
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #44
FVM3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
In the other thread you were recommending a GTR over a Ferrari because it was faster. So many 0-60 magazine time racers on here. I wonder if anybody still likes to drive or they just stare at their cars all day and occasionally do launch control? Why is horsepower so important when it comes to these discussions?

M3 is the enthusiast car in its price segment. Nothing else comes close. The C63 is a freaking highway cruisin' boat, it's not even close to the same *type* of car. Whoever can't tell the difference on the street between the way these two cars handle really will be better off in the C63 or the GTR.

Completely agree.
i dont know why a lot of you guys state c63 boat, it rides even stiffer then an m3 imho.
Appreciate 0