BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

07-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Speeding Ticket

So as the title implies, yes I got a speeding ticket yesterday afternoon. Stupid me.

I'm a bit skeptical of the whole thing since I was the second car in line traveling on I-95s in Howard County and yet I was still flagged by the trooper. She was nice enough, but her explantion is what gave me pause. I haven't been pulled over in 20 years so I'm not sure of the procedure, but I thought they always came out with a question such as "do you know why I pulled you over?"

This lady just jumped right in with: "license and resistration please, I clocked you with laser traveling @ 83."

Speed limit is 65

Me: "83?! You sure you didn't get the car in front of me?"

Her: "They were traveling @ 79 and I don't pull over anyone doing less than 80. You must have been closing on them."

Me: "Could I see the readout that says I was going 83?"

Her: "If you want to go to court you can see it."

Me: "No problem ma'am. Just asking."

So she goes back to her car, does her thing and then comes back with a ticket and tells me that she wrote it up for 74 in a 65. I was kinda confused by this but just let it go and went on my way.

My confusion stems from the fact that first she was willing to let 79mph go (14 over), and that second she says she nailed me going 83mph. I was most definitely NOT closing on the car she says was only traveling 79. Then she writes me up for only going 74 (9 over).

Oh, I almost forgot. I'M RUNNING W/O A FRONT TAG and she didn't even mention that fact. Maryland State Troopers always care about the missing front tag.

Further research shows that in Maryland, over the limit by 9 and under is worth 1 point while 10 over is worth 2, and 20 over is worth 3. Why did she reduce the speed on the ticket if she really clocked me doing 83 in a 65? Was she just being nice?

So here's my bigger issues:

Should I schedule a court date? My driving record is clean but I always hear people suggesting that going to court is best because the officer might not show, and the ticket gets dismissed.

So what happens if the officer does show? The ticket get adjusted up to 83 in a 65, meaning 2 points? Worse?

Anyone with experience who could comment would be much appreciated.

SJ

Last edited by SonnyJack; 07-17-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Looks like you got a gift (two without the tag violation). Give thanks, pay it, and move on, in my opinion.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Cptn Mo 703
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet

Garage List
pay it
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
if you have a clean record as you say, and nothing for 20 years, then go to court. But before you do, go to driver's school and bring the certificate with you to court.

Speak to the cop/state prosecutor before hand and ask them for leniency since this would be a 1st time offense in 20 years.

But if you do go to court, you roll the dice. However, both times i've been, i've had the charge dropped w/ the driving school certificate. My record is pretty clean too.

You can also argue in court how the cop did not show you the laser reading and see if she can produce it in court. But again, if you do, you roll the dice in case she can produce it.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Very helpful info. Thanks! Yeah for some silly reason I always thought they had to show you the radar/laser readout on the spot if you asked to see it. Oh well.

I'm just thinking that if the LEO can produce the readout and it shows this 83 in a 65 that the judge could always say...."you wasted my time over 1 point so now I'm gonna give you the full 2."

That would kinda suck.

BTW, I was impressed that my tax dollars have gone to making the ticket writing process so much easier. I didn't have to sign anything and the "ticket" was actually a computerized laser print out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
if you have a clean record as you say, and nothing for 20 years, then go to court. But before you do, go to driver's school and bring the certificate with you to court.

Speak to the cop/state prosecutor before hand and ask them for leniency since this would be a 1st time offense in 20 years.

But if you do go to court, you roll the dice. However, both times i've been, i've had the charge dropped w/ the driving school certificate. My record is pretty clean too.

You can also argue in court how the cop did not show you the laser reading and see if she can produce it in court. But again, if you do, you roll the dice in case she can produce it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
k3silk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 & 14 M5

Go to court if she not there your good if she is there te the judge that your guilty and let him know you have a clean record he might give you PPJ and make you pay the fine but have no points on your record
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3silk View Post
Go to court if she not there your good if she is there te the judge that your guilty and let him know you have a clean record he might give you PPJ and make you pay the fine but have no points on your record
Thanks!

I just looked this up. I didn't see PPJ, but I think maybe you meant PBJ (probation before judgement). Looks like with a clean record you can get the ticket completely forgiven if you go ticketless for as little as 6 months.

Sounds like a damn good deal to me!

We'll have to see.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
k3silk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Thanks!

I just looked this up. I didn't see PPJ, but I think maybe you meant PBJ (probation before judgement). Looks like with a clean record you can get the ticket completely forgiven if you go ticketless for as little as 6 months.

Sounds like a damn good deal to me!

We'll have to see.

Thanks again!
PBJ is right sorry was texting at the light with the iphone when I wrote that lol. no more texting and driving for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

tough one ... i mean If she was using laser then it looks onto the fastest moving target ... and she dropped the speed on the ticket so that you don't loose many points and you don't get hit with shitty insurance issues.

go to court, ask for leniency or just like the other member said ... roll the deice and hope for the best
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3silk View Post
PBJ is right sorry was texting at the light with the iphone when I wrote that lol. no more texting and driving for me.

----
Depends on the judge and court, but I've seen guilty with an explanation get you out of points. It sounds like you are more concerned with the points than anything else, pay the fine ask for a break on points and you'll be fine.

The only way to get out of the fine is to plead innocent, so unless the police officer doesn't show (no data on the %) you better have a case to prove the officer was wrong. Otherwise you get the fine and the points, no break.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
k3silk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Trust me she wasn't dining any favors for you having many friends that are officers they don't care as long as you go to court that's time and a half for them so they love it when people take it to court. With your driving record I'm sure the judge will relax on you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

she helped u! pay the ticket and move on!!!

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post

first of all, don't fight it. B/c you're fighting the calibration and standards of the gun itself, you aint going to win and it's not worth your time.

secondily, what she did was standard procedure, they all say that and write you up for a smaller fine, probably to make you feel better and you won't be tempted to fight it.

i see what you're saying, maybe go to court and call her bluff, but why do this, it's just a total waste of time. Unless you have no job and can do this...I say just pay it, forget about the traffic school, and points, it's your first moving violation in 20 years, you insurance won't be affected. Everything is just a big waste of time, believe me, I've done the traffic school thing.
Appreciate 0