BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
MaverickNemesis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy

Enhanced Premium Sound upgrade?

Is it worth upgrading from the stock sound to the enhanced sound on an e92? Would it be worth picking up a used set and installing it or would it be more of a headache. Any opinions would be appreciate. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

No. Don't do it. Better to have a full custom upgrade. You have to tear nearly everything out anyway for a conversion like that, and EPS is highly overrated- just not very good to be honest. If you know good audio at all, you ears will be disappointed, IMO.
      08-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
MaverickNemesis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krockit1 View Post
No. Don't do it. Better to have a full custom upgrade. You have to tear nearly everything out anyway for a conversion like that, and EPS is highly overrated- just not very good to be honest. If you know good audio at all, you ears will be disappointed, IMO.
I once had a full upgrade and ended up selling it. Just asked for an opinion since I was picking up the premium speakers on the cheap. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickNemesis View Post
I once had a full upgrade and ended up selling it. Just asked for an opinion since I was picking up the premium speakers on the cheap. Thanks!
The speakers are actually very good, they are worth it if you get them cheap, assuming you get the crossovers. The major issue with the EPS system is the amp and signal processing. Designed by someone who does not like bass or cars - even though the subs are very capable.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

Why don't you just do a bsw or a musicar set up? Or is that the upgrade your talking about?
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
MaverickNemesis
Captain
Rep

I use to have focal speakers, audison bitone, bsw subs but sold them. Didn't think the upgrade was worth it at the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickNemesis View Post
Is it worth upgrading from the stock sound to the enhanced sound on an e92? Would it be worth picking up a used set and installing it or would it be more of a headache. Any opinions would be appreciate. Thanks
According to Technic, one of the clear E9x audio experts on this forum, the EPS system's component speakers are excellent quality and do not need to be replaced for any reason (on top of that, they are some of the only speakers that will even FIT in our shallow-mount doors to begin with). However, the MOST fiber link to the OEM amp is problematic because you can't just plug-and-play a new amp in its place. I had read most of the audio threads on here before ordering my M3, and based on all the available information (and looking up the cost of purchasing the EPS speakers separately), I decided to upgrade to EPS on my car. From here, all I will need to do is replace my 2 8" underseat woofers with more punchy models, such as the SWS-8X, and add a good 12" sub to the trunk. In order to make this work with the EPS amp, you have to convert the powered outputs to flat using LC2/6i devices, and then from there go into your aftermarket amp, JL XD or Alpine PDX. Once that's done, I'll have done very little wiring/modification (IMO) and have an amazing system for maybe an additional $1500 over the cost of EPS itself. I'd say ~$3200 total (since my EPS was less than $1900 due to negoatiation) is a good price for a complete audio system, and less work than it would have been without EPS.

That said, if you want to add MS-8 and completely remove the stock amp, your only real option is to stay with the HiFi system and upgrade everything yourself. But for me, I think my strategy will result in a very nice sounding car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
icantdrive
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
According to Technic, one of the clear E9x audio experts on this forum, the EPS system's component speakers are excellent quality and do not need to be replaced for any reason (on top of that, they are some of the only speakers that will even FIT in our shallow-mount doors to begin with). However, the MOST fiber link to the OEM amp is problematic because you can't just plug-and-play a new amp in its place. I had read most of the audio threads on here before ordering my M3, and based on all the available information (and looking up the cost of purchasing the EPS speakers separately), I decided to upgrade to EPS on my car. From here, all I will need to do is replace my 2 8" underseat woofers with more punchy models, such as the SWS-8X, and add a good 12" sub to the trunk. In order to make this work with the EPS amp, you have to convert the powered outputs to flat using LC2/6i devices, and then from there go into your aftermarket amp, JL XD or Alpine PDX. Once that's done, I'll have done very little wiring/modification (IMO) and have an amazing system for maybe an additional $1500 over the cost of EPS itself. I'd say ~$3200 total (since my EPS was less than $1900 due to negoatiation) is a good price for a complete audio system, and less work than it would have been without EPS.

That said, if you want to add MS-8 and completely remove the stock amp, your only real option is to stay with the HiFi system and upgrade everything yourself. But for me, I think my strategy will result in a very nice sounding car.
You should do a write up. This is almost what I want to do, but not sure how to install it...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive View Post
You should do a write up. This is almost what I want to do, but not sure how to install it...
I plan to do a complete write-up when I do the install. Still working out which 12" I want to go with, as well as trying to contact MusicarNW for pricing on their trunk OEM-look enclosure, as it's the nicest one I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
icantdrive
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I plan to do a complete write-up when I do the install. Still working out which 12" I want to go with, as well as trying to contact MusicarNW for pricing on their trunk OEM-look enclosure, as it's the nicest one I've seen.
Thanks! I was thinking of just getting the harnass, sub and amp. I would change the sub under the seats, but not sure how difficult that would be.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

IMO, the EPS only needs bass improvement -sub and mid bass- and only via additional power and better drivers.

- Musicar trunk sub enclosure (10" for the Sedan, 12" for the Coupe)
- Jehnert XE200 woofers
- JL Audio 500/3
- EPS PnP harness with LC2i

If the Jehnerts are pricy for you -they are- then a great replacement is the OEM HiFi 8" woofers at 2ohms. These OEM woofers are great with additional power and a narrow frequency band (80Hz-200Hz). You could find used sets for as low as $60 in the classifieds...

Note: only 7ohms woofers can be used with the OEM amp. Otherwise the OEM amp will overheat as it is not stable at less than 7ohms.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
IMO, the EPS only needs bass improvement -sub and mid bass- and only via additional power and better drivers.

- Musicar trunk sub enclosure (10" for the Sedan, 12" for the Coupe)
- Jehnert XE200 woofers
- JL Audio 500/3
- EPS PnP harness with LC2i

If the Jehnerts are pricy for you -they are- then a great replacement is the OEM HiFi 8" woofers at 2ohms. These OEM woofers are great with additional power and a narrow frequency band (80Hz-200Hz). You could find used sets for as low as $60 in the classifieds...

Note: only 7ohms woofers can be used with the OEM amp. Otherwise the OEM amp will overheat as it is not stable at less than 7ohms.
Do you have a preferred 12" sub suggestion for the MusicarNW enclosure?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Do you have a preferred 12" sub suggestion for the MusicarNW enclosure?
They will tell you the options as they must match the enclosure volume.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Franky2ko
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92

I am not very knowledgeable about car audio, but I am looking to upgrade the sound system. I know that I should install an amplifier I the trunk. Which one is the best? Also should I replace the speakers at the same time or will I see a difference with the new amplifier already? Which amplifier you'd recommend?

Sorry about these stupid questions, but I wasn't able to find answers to these questions
Appreciate 0