BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

09-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

Opinions needed! You're looking in the $60-$65k range. Which of these.....

...coupes do you buy, and why?

1.) New Audi S5
2.) New BMW 335xi
3.) New C63 AMG Coupe
4.) New Cadillac CTS-V
5.) 2010 Jaguar XK
6.) 2009 Porsche Carrera 4
7.) 2007 Aston Martin Vantage

Most important factors to me are:
  • Longevity and Durability: It will be my daily driver for a few years, so I'd expect at least 60,000 miles without seeing "Check Engine" lights.
  • Overall quality: Fit, finish, style.
  • Driving experience: I'm not going to take it to the track, but when I want to get up and go, I expect it to snap to.
  • Maintenance costs: I don't want it to become a money pit, of course.

I'm looking for a daily driver, and am open to both new and used. The problem with buying used is that in some of these cases, I'd have to buy the used car blindly (without seeing it with my own 2 other than via pictures). And of course, the warranties are shorter or more expensive.

So anyway, I appeal to the excellent posters here for additional feedback, as I'm suffering a bit from paralysis of analysis. All of the cars look great to my eyes. From what I've read, most seem to be fairly safe bets as reliability across all brands has gotten better and better over recent years. But without any serious personal experience with any of the cars listed outside of the BMW, I could really use a second (third, forth and fifth) opinion on what would be the best of these options going forward.

I did test-drive the Porsche, so I'm aware of how "firm" the ride will be and I'm okay with that. I'm 31 with no kids, so there are no issues there. The car will be garaged most nights, but will probably enjoy plenty of South Florida rain and sunshine during the days.

Thanks for any thoughts or insight that may help me narrow my options.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post

1.) New Audi S5
2.) New BMW 335xi
3.) New C63 AMG Coupe

4.) New Cadillac CTS-V
5.) 2010 Jaguar XK
6.) 2009 Porsche Carrera 4
7.) 2007 Aston Martin Vantage

Most important factors to me are:
  • Longevity and Durability: It will be my daily driver for a few years, so I'd expect at least 60,000 miles without seeing "Check Engine" lights.
  • Maintenance costs: I don't want it to become a money pit, of course.

Fixed
      09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so the Caddy is the only one that won't likely become a problem-ridden money pit, in your opinion?
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
cg05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

CTS-V or C63.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Quote:
so the Caddy is the only one that won't likely become a problem-ridden money pit, in your opinion?
The XK has shown to be reliable but I don't think youre gonna touch a new one with $60-65k.

A new CTS-V without a doubt should be money pitless out of the box because it will have a warranty for a few years and even out of warranty I trust it more than anything German, Audi and MB especially. I won't touch a BMW XI because of super expensive drive train parts, a used 911, no as well. The Aston Martin, forget it. The S5 will BORE you compared to the CTS-V. I don't really feel this is a fair fight with the V in there, it tromps them all in the performance sector and bang for buck.
      09-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
The XK has shown to be reliable but I don't think youre gonna touch a new one with $60-65k.

A new CTS-V without a doubt should be money pitless out of the box because it will have a warranty for a few years and even out of warranty I trust it more than anything German, Audi and MB especially. I won't touch a BMW XI because of super expensive drive train parts, a used 911, no as well. The Aston Martin, forget it. The S5 will BORE you compared to the CTS-V. I don't really feel this is a fair fight with the V in there, it tromps them all in the performance sector and bang for buck.
Understood. The CTS-V concerns me, as I test drove one and the design makes i very difficult to see cars in the blind spot. Small windows and low visibility make it rank low for me...but I can definitely get one for $60 or less out the door. I'll definitely give it some more consideration. As for the Jag,

I'm going to see it maybe tomorrow. I'm only about 30 minutes away from West Palm Beach. So yea...you'd be surprised what's in reach when you shop used.

And fwiw, my BMWs have never given me any problems, so I don't have much of a hangup on German reliability unless there's something I don't know. Porsche's have topped reliability charts for the last several years.

Last edited by adrian1480; 09-12-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
cg05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

If you're looking for bang for your buck performance with reliability, get a Z06. Nothing touches it for the price and it's going to be more reliable than any of those.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg05 View Post
If you're looking for bang for your buck performance with reliability, get a Z06. Nothing touches it for the price and it's going to be more reliable than any of those.
I agree completely, but I want a 2+2 seater.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
CTS-V or C63.
+1....

CTS-V=Price for performance on the CTS-V is almost second to none...

C63=Sexy, make a sound that melts your ears, engine is rock solid, its new so you have warranty...in case any electrical/electronic gremlins pop up

Last edited by jkrig; 09-12-2011 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
C63. The engine is bulletproof and you'll be driving around a beautiful looking, awesome sounding car.
      09-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fascinating. This is probably the first time I've really heard such overwhelmingly positive thoughts about Mercedes reliability! Must be the quality that comes with an AMG engine, then?

I'll definitely move those 2 to the top of my list.

Any reason you guys would choose them over the used cars? Does it come down to warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Fascinating. This is probably the first time I've really heard such overwhelmingly positive thoughts about Mercedes reliability! Must be the quality that comes with an AMG engine, then?

Any reason you guys would choose them over the used cars? Does it come down to warranty?
I'd choose a brand new car because of warranty and just the new factor that comes with it. Nothing like getting a car with the 0000000 on the odometer. Personal preference at 65k I'd want new. If it was a beater then obviously used or something new/cheap.
But back on point, C63 AMG Coupe. Looks and sounds amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
C63. The engine is bulletproof and you'll be driving around a beautiful looking, awesome sounding car.
+1 If you need 2+2 seating then this is the car from that list.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
+1....

CTS-V=Price for performance on the CTS-V is almost second to none...

C63=Sexy, make a sound that melts your ears, engine is rock solid, its new so you have warranty...in case any electrical/electronic gremlins pop up
Just can't agree on the CTS-V, it needs a transmission worth a crap first.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: '12 M3, '09 335

what about an m3? out of that list though, I'd get the C63 because the CTS-V is hideous. BUT the C63 rear end is ugly, and I would choose an M3 over any of them, and once you get bored of the power in a couple years you can throw a blower on it and it will be like a new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GT500

Quote:

For keeping it in warranty, I'm sure it'll be average. However, I wouldn't touch anything german outside warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

*takes notes*
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
CTS-V or C63.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Amazes me even at present day reliability of German cars is so questionable that people still wouldn't own one past warranty. I thought they worked out the quality problems back in 90s
      09-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

easy pick - CTSV
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #21
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's what I thought too, Robert.

Especially with Porsche's documented reliability and quality over the last decade.

But idk. I'm definitely looking forward to additional opinions. On my way to check out the Jag and CTS-V.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #22
BMW//M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Convertible

CTS-V and Porsche Carrera 4 would take my vote. However, an AM is too cool a car to pass up, but I can see how any future problems with it can be a major headache because of costs.
Appreciate 0