BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Cleaning black APracing calipers

Did a search but not coming up with this specific question. I have black APracing calipers and they've been on for less than a year and look like crap. No pictures yet to show, but what's going on is the black flat finish is getting a bit dull from water & soap deposits I think as it's hard to try to dry them with wheels installed when cleaning the car.

So I'm getting a kinda white residue or dullness on the black finish. Very hard to get off.

Also, the brake discs hubs that were painted black, are stained with all sorts of running water/soap like lines and splashes. This is even harder to wash clean off. Almost looks like someone through paint on the brake caliper hubs.

I love these APracing brakes but if I would have known how ugly they were gonna turn out looking, I'd have gone with Brembo's or StockTecks because of the gloss finish, which would have made washing & cleaning a lot easier I think.

Anyway, I would jack up the car and take the wheels off, then while I'm cleaning up the wheel wells, I'd like to detail the brakes. Something I plan on doing once every 6 months or so or when I'm really board.

What do you all suggest for cleaning and maybe polish up the brake calipers to keep this crap off?

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Anyone? Hello? Hello?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
I usually just use some Sonax wheel cleaner. It's designed to take caked on brake dust off wheels, and is pretty effective on brake calipers on doesn't harm the paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
I usually just use some Sonax wheel cleaner. It's designed to take caked on brake dust off wheels, and is pretty effective on brake calipers on doesn't harm the paint.

sounds good, what about the heat though the calipers will produce? Will wax or anything like that cause hot-spots or cracks? Probebly not too worried on regular street driving but once in a while on a hill climb here or track, of course the calipers will heat up.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

remove the wheels, clean all areas, HAND polish the calipers, apply a coating like opticoat, or a sealant like wheel wax, or BFWD. It will help, but not be a cure-all! Plan on doing that every 3 months or so...Depending on how hard you drive the car will determine how fast the wax on the calipers wears off
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
sounds good, what about the heat though the calipers will produce? Will wax or anything like that cause hot-spots or cracks? Probebly not too worried on regular street driving but once in a while on a hill climb here or track, of course the calipers will heat up.
If you do an occaisional hill climb or track days I personally wouldn't bother waxing the calipers as it probably wouldn't withstand the heat generated. I would just wipe the wheels down after they've had a chance to cool, and wash the wheels/caliper the next day using Sonax.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Try some Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Medium. Rub it in very well with a CLEAN (So it doesnt scratch) foam applicator. Remember to seal them with Autobahn wax after so the problem does not happen again.

Sounds like you are using a harsh wheel cleaner or something.

If you went with the Swissvax wheel care kit you wouldn't have this problem
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

getting the calipers with the gloss finish wouldn't have been better, they would peel over time.

I would just use the suggested wheel cleaner, and don't wax it. The heat generated on brakes will melt it right off... And don't worry about the "harshness" of the cleaners, the paint on the calipers are designed to withstand a lot of punishment from heat and abrasives.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Good points all, thanks!
Appreciate 0