BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #67
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Why not go Bond and get a PPK 9mm?
PPK comes in .32 or .380
      10-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #68
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
PPK comes in .32 or .380
Right. I meant 9 mm K; not the conventional 9 mil.
      10-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #69
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
PPK comes in .32 or .380
Liking that avatar. Great film.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #70
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Not a huge pistol guy, but go for a compact sized 1911 in .45
In some cases, when adrenaline is pumping, 9mm doesn't cut it, .45 will knock someone on their ass. Small clip but if it's a cc gun, I'm assuming you're not gonna need to fight hordes of attackers.
IMO, cc pistols don't have to be hi-cap, or super precise. As long as I can hit a close range human target, it works. What matters to me is single-shot power. As I said, if you ever fire it, it's gonna be at a single, or maybe two people. I wanna knock them down with as few shots as I have to take.
I don't know how small it is, but the judge revolver chambers .45 or .410 shotgun. I think it's a little big though.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #71
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Our stupid governor Jerry Brown just signed an anti-open carry law!

California became the fifth state to prohibit openly carrying handguns in public after Gov. Jerry Brown announced Monday that he had signed the ban into law amid heavy opposition from gun enthusiasts.

AB144 by state Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-Pasadena, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in public or in vehicles, with violators facing up to a year in prison or a potential fine of $1,000 when the law takes effect on Jan 1.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...ics&id=8384007

I hope the criminals obey this new law!

Umm... Preemption violation??

You don't want to be the test case (or maybe you do), but this 'law' will be overturned as unconstitutional.

OP, I've had some XDs and like them. Also, if it's for summer carry and you're okay with .380acp, check out the Ruger LCP.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #72
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
In some cases, when adrenaline is pumping, 9mm doesn't cut it, .45 will knock someone on their ass. Small clip but if it's a cc gun, I'm assuming you're not gonna need to fight hordes of attackers.
IMO, cc pistols don't have to be hi-cap, or super precise. As long as I can hit a close range human target, it works. What matters to me is single-shot power. As I said, if you ever fire it, it's gonna be at a single, or maybe two people. I wanna knock them down with as few shots as I have to take.
I don't know how small it is, but the judge revolver chambers .45 or .410 shotgun. I think it's a little big though.
no it won't.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #73
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

I don't understand carrying a pistol. Do you all live in high crime areas or is it just for general protection?
      10-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #74
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
I don't understand carrying a pistol. Do you all live in high crime areas or is it just for general protection?
Do you have smoke detectors in your home?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #75
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
Quote:
no it won't.
I used to be one of those guys that thought any defensive pistol caliber should start with a "4", but then I learned a little more about ballistics and that mythical/meaningless term called "stopping power". One should carry the largest caliber that they can shoot well and practice with often. A .454 Cassull that you never shoot means nothing, compared to the .380acp that you are comfortable with, use in training often and carryw ith you 100% of the time. I see so many guys that think they need the largest round possible... that's just for bragging with the misinformed. You want the faster, more controllable round that will effect as much hydrostatic shock as possible (doing irreparable tissue damage) and you want to deliver that COM or Mozambique (practice those failure drills)...

With that said, I'm usually a .40s&w kinda guy unless it's bear season or I'm in a suit. Then, it's 10mm or .380acp, respectively.

ymmv
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #76
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
I used to be one of those guys that thought any defensive pistol caliber should start with a "4", but then I learned a little more about ballistics and that mythical/meaningless term called "stopping power". One should carry the largest caliber that they can shoot well and practice with often. A .454 Cassull that you never shoot means nothing, compared to the .380acp that you are comfortable with, use in training often and carryw ith you 100% of the time. I see so many guys that think they need the largest round possible... that's just for bragging with the misinformed. You want the faster, more controllable round that will effect as much hydrostatic shock as possible (doing irreparable tissue damage) and you want to deliver that COM or Mozambique (practice those failure drills)...

With that said, I'm usually a .40s&w kinda guy unless it's bear season or I'm in a suit. Then, it's 10mm or .380acp, respectively.

ymmv
wise words. my first weapon was a SigSauer 1911 RCS Nitron.

Sig-Sauer 1911 RCS Nitron FS by jsophoto, on Flickr

it was an absolutely beautiful and fantastic shooting gun...but i left it at home 90% of the time because i couldn't conceal it and i was uncomfortable carrying it. my next gun for carry will probably be a Sig 9MM, because that's the caliber that i'm most comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #77
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
as a photographer, i go where the shots are...not where it's necessarily the safest. i spend a whole lot of time in questionable areas, and i (and the models i have with me) feel much safer carrying a gun. as long as i'm not trespassing, i'm carrying.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #78
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
wise words. my first weapon was a SigSauer 1911 RCS Nitron.

Sig-Sauer 1911 RCS Nitron FS by jsophoto, on Flickr

it was an absolutely beautiful and fantastic shooting gun...but i left it at home 90% of the time because i couldn't conceal it and i was uncomfortable carrying it. my next gun for carry will probably be a Sig 9MM, because that's the caliber that i'm most comfortable with.
That RCS is a gorgeous Sig, man... btw. But, yeah. I fully see the error of my earlier ways. With that said though, just like enthusiasts here justify BS mods bc they "want 'it'", a lot of us do that with out first firearm or sportbike, etc. "Oooo, if I can only have one... I'll grow into it..".

I did, and then I carried a revolver for years until I learned how to fight with an auto.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #79
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

A .380 to the eye is just as effective as a .500 SW to the chest^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #80
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

99% of the people in this thread probably shoots less then 1 hour a month, and probably never drawn on a person or shot a person. careful, of their advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #81
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
99% of the people in this thread probably shoots less then 1 hour a month, and probably never drawn on a person or shot a person. careful, of their advice.
2-3 hours a week. and you don't have to have drawn on or shot a person to know what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #82
mikeith
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG

Quote:
NNNNOPE... couldnt be more off
Quote:
no it won't.
AMEN!

i get so sick of people preaching the old "larger caliber" song and dance because they obviously haven't had any real world experience. and by experience i'm not saying you have to be involved in a shooting.... simulation,practice, research, and knowledge of how the body reacts to the trauma of gunshots placed to vital organs vs flesh wounds alone will be enough to learn you otherwise. i dont care who you are you cant make followup shots with .45 as fast and accurate as you can with a 9mm.

lets just say that you attempt to get as many shots in with a 45 as you do a 9mm. i promise you have a better chance of stopping an attack with 5-7 perfectly placed shots compared to trying to squeeze off a 45 in the same amount of time and not hitting vital areas. and that's why i'll CC a 9 over a 45 any day.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #83
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
From a 1% er, I can tell you that I don't care how much you practice, the body reacts strangely under stress and unless you train under stress, you will NOT perform the way you think you will when the shit goes down. 99% of an armed encounter is what you perceive before the gun comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeith View Post
NNNNOPE... couldnt be more off

AMEN!

i get so sick of people preaching the old "larger caliber" song and dance because they obviously haven't had any real world experience. and by experience i'm not saying you have to be involved in a shooting.... simulation,practice, research, and knowledge of how the body reacts to the trauma of gunshots placed to vital organs vs flesh wounds alone will be enough to learn you otherwise. i dont care who you are you cant make followup shots with .45 as fast and accurate as you can with a 9mm.

lets just say that you attempt to get as many shots in with a 45 as you do a 9mm. i promise you have a better chance of stopping an attack with 5-7 perfectly placed shots compared to trying to squeeze off a 45 in the same amount of time and not hitting vital areas. and that's why i'll CC a 9 over a 45 any day.
This is BS. You just haven't practiced enough. At some level, you are correct that recoil on a 9 mm is going to be perceived as less than a .45, and that all things being equal, the 9 mm MAY be easier to control, but I guarantee it is possible to shoot a .45 as accurately and quickly as a 9 mm. About the only real advantage a 9 has over larger calibers is the number of rounds you have onboard.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #84
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post

ymmv
No this is totally correct, of you aren't practiced with it, dont use it. But there are some compact 1911 style pistols, about 4.5 inches long or so. I wasn't referring to a full sized one. Yes, many new guns and bullets have great stopping power but if you practice with and are comfortable with some sort of .45, I think it would serve you better. But as I mentioned, I'm not a huge pistol guy. Most that I've shot however, have been .45's, so it's comfortable for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #85
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
2-3 hours a week. and you don't have to have drawn on or shot a person to know what you're talking about.
ha this statement is laughable at best. keep telling yourself that. shit changes when you have a gun pointed at your face or you're getting shot at. performance anxiety kills.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #86
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
From a 1% er, I can tell you that I don't care how much you practice, the body reacts strangely under stress and unless you train under stress, you will NOT perform the way you think you will when the shit goes down. 99% of an armed encounter is what you perceive before the gun comes out.
very true. i can't count the number of times I've seen someone lock up under stress or duress.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #87
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
ha this statement is laughable at best. keep telling yourself that. shit changes when you have a gun pointed at your face or you're getting shot at. performance anxiety kills.
Agreed. Perceptual narrowing, the loss of fine motor skills and auditory exclusion are all possible, even likely for the uninitiated. All the fancy shit you practice in the comfort of your own range goes right out the window when you are reacting to another person's aggression.

It is imperative that you train for the right things, and the number of rounds down range is only the beginning.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #88
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah, nobody's arguing that. he's asking about a gun for carry, not the best possible strategy for defending himself. so tell me how a lack of combat experience precludes me from offering good advice on a choice of carry weapon? it doesn't. it precludes me from offering advice on what to do if you're in a situation in which you have to draw and use your carry weapon, and you'll note that i haven't done that. nor do i think anyone else has.
Appreciate 0