BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

My first performance mod - Dinan exhaust review

Ok, well I finally did it. I broke down and bought my first real mod for the M. I have done a few things already (Macht Schnell air filter, tint, wheels/tires), but this is the first one that really counts in my books as a performance modification. (Finally!!!) Thanks to many of you on here that have provided advice and answering my constant questions over the past year...this forum has been a tremendous resource for information.

I ended up buying a used Dinan rear section exhaust (from a fellow forum member). I bought the exhaust last Wednesday and it showed up at my door Friday night. Of course I couldn't wait to get it installed, so last night I had a buddy over and we put the car up on a couple of ramps in the garage and started tearing into it. After a couple of hours we had the OEM exhaust off and the Dinan mufflers installed. All in all a fairly easy project (it does help to have a 2nd set of hands!).

Before I dive into my review of the finished product, I have to confess to something. So, we removed the OEM exhaust and my buddy and I got the bright idea to just fire it up with no rear section attached (just xpipe, cats and resonators connected to the headers hooked up). We thought it couldn't hurt anything to run it for 10-15 seconds just to hear what its like. All I've got to say is HOLY CRAP! With the rear section removed the car sounds like an absolute beast! It just rumbled... ...I've watched the BMW M3 Rahal/Letterman GT2 cars racing on TV, and I swear to God it sounded like a flipping race car. We did a couple revs while idling...to about 2500-3000 rpms and the whole garage shook. It was late so we didn't want to upset the neighbors and had to shut it down...but it was really something. (I started thinking to myself - I wonder if this is what Nawaaz's car sounds like in person???)

Anyways back to the review: After everything was installed and we checked all of our mounting points and connections, we fired it up. Like TLud and others have mentinoned before, the Dinan rear section is not significantly louder than OEM. But the main difference is in the "tone" of the exhaust. It's much much deeper than OEM...and has a slight rumble to it at idle. It has a lot more bass to it. And like others have said (TLud, H-Bomb, Metak), you can't hear anymore drone than the OEM system. It's really quiet inside the cabin. I took my Fam for a ride in it today and no one even commented that it was louder than before....however, when I rolled my windows down when putting around town at 20-30mph, then you can hear that rumble from behind. It sounds really good. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it's just enough (IMO) so that it sounds like you have something special under the hood. Just what I was looking for!

Last night after it was installed we took it for a test drive...I wanted to hear what it sounded like under load, so I hopped out of the car and let my buddy drive it up and down a deserted stretch of road a few times. All I can say is wow...it's so much better sounding than OEM. Once it gets past 4,000 rpms it just wails like never before! Now, I haven't heard the other systems out there w/xpipes (and cat deletes), so I'm sure those are A LOT louder than my rear section. But, I was still amazed at how much more volume I got with the Dinan rear section over stock. And it's a nice pitch to it too...deep rumble at idle but a nice higher pitch when you are in the higher rpms....sounds semi-exotic sounding. It sounds nothing like a big-block muscle car (which is a good thing IMO).

Can I feel the 6hp and 5 ft lbs of torque that Dinan claims? Of course not...but I wasn't planning on that anyway. I'm banking on the HP and torque to come when I get around to upgrading the mid-pipe and cats.

Anyone on the fence about upgrading their stock exhaust, worrying that it will be too loud for their family members riding in the car or neighbors...if you go Dinan, there is no need to worry. It's only on the loud side when you drive it aggressively...

Now on to the mid-pipe project...

Last edited by Fen335i; 03-20-2010 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

congrats. you will love the midpipe and it sounds even more exotic. still no drone. sounds about the same till 4k then it sounds amazing. it is only loud when you get on it. still quiet in the cabin etc. that is if you get the dinan midpipe.

here is how it sounds inside the cabin and out with the midpipe if you need to hear for comparing

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359397
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
All I've got to say is HOLY CRAP! With the rear section removed the car sounds like an absolute beast! It just rumbled... ...I've watched the BMW M3 Rahal/Letterman GT2 cars racing on TV, and I swear to God it sounded like a flipping race car. We did a couple revs while idling...to about 2500-3000 rpms and the whole garage shook. It was late so we didn't want to upset the neighbors and had to shut it down...but it was really something. (I started thinking to myself - I wonder if this is what Nawaaz's car sounds like in person???)
hahaha Thanks for the mention!

Yes, my M3 does sound OUTRAGEOUS.

Congrats on getting a hold of your M3's first performance mod!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Thanks H Bomb. Yea, I think the Dinan mid-pipe is probably the right one for me...my only worry is emmissions testing. If I can work around that issue, than I think it's a no brainer...

Sounds like that's where the majority of power is left on these cars...we can pick up 5-10 hp here and there through other mods (filter, rear exhaust, pulley)...but those you can't feel on their own. But the mid-pipe (w/cat delete) is something you can truely "feel"....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
hahaha Thanks for the mention!

Yes, my M3 does sound OUTRAGEOUS.

Congrats on your getting a hold of your M3's first performance mod!
Absolutely! I love the sound of your car...I wish I had a little "switch" in my car that could make it sound like yours when I want noise...and then a flip of the switch to bring it back to normal levels.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Absolutely! I love the sound of your car...I wish I had a little "switch" in my car that could make it sound like yours when I want noise...and then a flip of the switch to bring it back to normal levels.
I'm actually glad I don't have that 'switch'.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Enjoy. Also, it will sound better as time passes. Give it a 2k break-in and it really comes alive!

Edit: Nevermind, you bought it used, it probabally already sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

oh yeah hands down thats where its at. i thought i mentioned that but i guess i forgot. when i got the midpipe the car felt like a new car. i was def like wow with the new power increase.

if you can't go with the Dinan one bc of no cat then i think the Akra one would still have no drone and add the power. that is the only other one i know of that doesn't drone with the Dinan

Quote:
Thanks H Bomb. Yea, I think the Dinan mid-pipe is probably the right one for me...my only worry is emmissions testing. If I can work around that issue, than I think it's a no brainer...

Sounds like that's where the majority of power is left on these cars...we can pick up 5-10 hp here and there through other mods (filter, rear exhaust, pulley)...but those you can't feel on their own. But the mid-pipe (w/cat delete) is something you can truely "feel"....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #9
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
oh yeah hands down thats where its at. i thought i mentioned that but i guess i forgot. when i got the midpipe the car felt like a new car. i was def like wow with the new power increase.

if you can't go with the Dinan one bc of no cat then i think the Akra one would still have no drone and add the power. that is the only other one i know of that doesn't drone with the Dinan
I'll have to look into the Akra...I haven't researched that mid-pipe yet. I heard Fabspeed w/HFC's gives good power results, but not sure about drone. I guess the good news is we know the Dinan rear section will help minimize some of the drone if it does exist w/any of the midpipes on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Enjoy. Also, it will sound better as time passes. Give it a 2k break-in and it really comes alive!

Edit: Nevermind, you bought it used, it probabally already sounds great!
Yea, according to seller it only had around 1,000 miles on it...so, maybe it will get even better after I put a few more miles on it!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
B.Hallowell
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

I picked this exhaust up Friday and put it on by myself Saturday in my driveway on ramps. Very easy and only required one beer half way through to get it done. The hardest part was taking the stupid hangers off the OEM exhaust. Till I got my friend WD40. I really like the sound a lot. DCT downshifts really got woken up! I think after the midpipe it'll be exactly the loudness I want. If you're on the fence about this exhaust. DO IT!
      03-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engle View Post
I picked this exhaust up Friday and put it on by myself Saturday in my driveway on ramps. Very easy and only required one beer half way through to get it done. The hardest part was taking the stupid hangers off the OEM exhaust. Till I got my friend WD40. I really like the sound a lot. DCT downshifts really got woken up! I think after the midpipe it'll be exactly the loudness I want. If you're on the fence about this exhaust. DO IT!

Congrats on your exhaust! Yea, I used dawn dishwashing soap to lube up the rubber hangers. That worked pretty well to get them off the OEM exhaust.

Are your tips perfect? I noticed that my driver side tips stick out a couple milimeters more than the passenger side. I don't think there is anything I can do to fix that (outside of shaving down the pipe where it connects to the mid-pipe)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
A1 RDL
www.ryandalziel.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 JB E92 M3

Congrats. Thumbs Up to DINAN for making a daily driver set of mufflers, that has no problem making some noise at a track event
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Nice review. I'll post if it drones with my gintani xpipe+hfc

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Thanks MrHarris...would love to hear how Gintani's xpipe w/HFC's sounds with the Dinan rear section. I'm contemplating the Gintani, Fabspeed, and of course the Dinan mid-pipe...

When do you get yours installed?

I have now been driving the car w/the rear section for a couple days now and have to say this was money well spent. It just makes the whole experience of driving an M3 that much better...it's just so much more visceral than before. Can't wait to get her back on the track and let her breath a little bit more!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
B.Hallowell
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on your exhaust! Yea, I used dawn dishwashing soap to lube up the rubber hangers. That worked pretty well to get them off the OEM exhaust.

Are your tips perfect? I noticed that my driver side tips stick out a couple milimeters more than the passenger side. I don't think there is anything I can do to fix that (outside of shaving down the pipe where it connects to the mid-pipe)
Thanks! I'm enjoying it aswell My tips aren't quite perfect either. My right most tip (passenger fake) is *slightly* lower than the others but I was able to get them mostly even and straight. My friend has the dinan rear section on his e60 M5 (best exhaust sound out there imo) and his were a PAIN and are still also *slightly* off.

What should be clean it with? I always used Blue Magic (i think) metal polish but I think it's more for chrome tips (like oem). I don't wanna mess up the Also the muffler inside the right most tip is black so you can't see it's a fake but my driver side fake tip you can obviously tell it ends (very shiny). Anyone know of a way to fix this short of shoving a sharpie on a stick up there?

I might grow plants out of my fake tips... you know, one up them prius drivers
      03-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
B.Hallowell
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
IN! Do want to hear what this sounds like! I am looking into xpipes right now and am mostly leaning towards Dinan/fabspeed.
      03-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

def take video i bet that is gonna sound sick

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #18
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks MrHarris...would love to hear how Gintani's xpipe w/HFC's sounds with the Dinan rear section. I'm contemplating the Gintani, Fabspeed, and of course the Dinan mid-pipe...

When do you get yours installed?

I have now been driving the car w/the rear section for a couple days now and have to say this was money well spent. It just makes the whole experience of driving an M3 that much better...it's just so much more visceral than before. Can't wait to get her back on the track and let her breath a little bit more!
2 weeks approximately, maybe less I'll take a few videos for sure.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 02:41 AM   #19
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:

The ones I noticeably felt: pulley (especially under 4k rpm)

ones I REALLY felt: midpipe, ECU tune (went with Gintani tune)

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #20
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Great review! I'm glad you are liking it so far. I have he Dinan mid-pipe and love it. I have not tried another one, but the sound and performacne are well worth it to me. It does not drone at all and cruising around town it is not too loud, just enough to let you know something is lurking under there! I'm sure the other mid-pipes are good, but I have not experience with them. Best of luck with your decision.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The ones I noticeably felt: pulley (especially under 4k rpm)

Cool...I think I'll do pulley's eventually. Sounds like a solid mod.

ones I REALLY felt: midpipe, ECU tune (went with Gintani tune)
I haven't read too many reviews on Gintani's tune...but what I have heard has been all positive.

Quote:
2 weeks approximately, maybe less I'll take a few videos for sure.
Hurry up will ya??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Great review! I'm glad you are liking it so far. I have he Dinan mid-pipe and love it. I have not tried another one, but the sound and performacne are well worth it to me. It does not drone at all and cruising around town it is not too loud, just enough to let you know something is lurking under there! I'm sure the other mid-pipes are good, but I have not experience with them. Best of luck with your decision.
Thanks, I haven't read one negative review of the Dinan midpipe...everyone who has installed it has loved it. My only issue is emissions, but I think I might still have that problem even w/HFC's. Not sure how I'm going to work around that. I don't want to have to swap my exhaust w/OEM every 2 years for an emissions check...that would be kind of a pain. If anyone has any clever ideas, let me know!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
bimmermilan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP

I'm looking for a Dinan muffler for my E46 M3, I think this is the best muffler imho. If anyone knows of one for sale please let me know! Thanks!
Appreciate 0