BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
AS335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, f30 330i

Garage List
2017 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm an IDIOT

Hello OT guys, I need to get something off my chest and I don't know where to post and I need a good verbal ass kicking so I'm deciding to put it here.

Before I start, I would like to say in advance: I'M FUCKING STUPID and I hate myself.

It was raining pretty bad here yesterday and the roads were slippery so and I had the 335 out so I decided to turn off traction control and go drifting which I normally do. I usually take it real easy since my dad just got me this car and I don't want anything to happen to it. I was feeling a little crazy today and went to an empty parking lot near my house and drifted a bit. Then I left to go home and while I was taking a turn left I nearly floored it and lost it. I went sideways and smashed into a curb, hopped onto the grass and slid towards an electrical box. I managed to dodge the electrical box but still scratched it with the side of the car. The car got stuck in mud and everyone in the neighborhood is telling me they are calling the cops and stuff so I push the car out and drive off, while a guy is yelling at me to wait for the cops. I've never been in an accident before so I didn't know I had to wait if I didn't get hurt or anything, so I just went home.

At this point I get home and am very shaken up and scared as fuck, because my dad is going to kick my ass. After a while the door bell rings and sure enough its the cops. I knew right then I was fucked, because I was drifting around in the neighborhood before I crashed and surely people had heard me screeching the tires. The officer at my door asks what happened and I tell him out right I had the traction control off and lost control. He tells me that I was supposed to stay and wait for them and I was fleeing the scene, which was a jail able offense. He then tells me to show him the car which I do. Then the officer in charge shows up and starts yelling at me and cuffs me, asking why I ran from the scene. I told him I was un aware and he treats me like some criminal or something. After a while he cools down after he talks with my mom since she tells him I make straight A's and whatever. So he un cuffs me and then writes me a ticket for Failure to Control Speed and fleeing the scene.

Once they leave my dad gets home, and wow is he pissed. It was one of the worst things to see him that mad, since it was partly his car too. I don't think I'm going to be able to drive that car for a while...

The whole right side of the front bumper is fucked. The front right wheel is scratched and the right rear view is scratched aswell. The hood is bent in a little around the emblem and the right fog light is busted. Also, some of the undercarriage is scratched and the steering assembly has to be replaced. My dad took it to the shop today and the total cost is around $9,000 including labor and everything.

I'm taking full responsibility for this and am never going to treat a bimmer I own like this. I'm working right now and the rest of my pay checks are going towards paying my dad back. I made a huge mistake thinking I could control it with no traction control while it was wet, and I guess I'm just a stupid teenager. But I learned from this and even though I won't be able to drive the bimmer for a while next time I do I'll be ever more cautious. It sucks because my dad just got this for me, and I messed it up. FUCK. Flame away
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Yes, you were being a stupid teenager. Normally I'd flame, but you already know what you did was not intelligent. I don't really think your dad should let you drive the car anymore, but that's his choice and not mine.

Drifting on public roads is fucking stupid...you know that. Hopefully this was an eye-opening incident. It isn't fair to endanger others like that.
      07-03-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

I don't understand parents who get mad when their teens wind up wrecking or damaging one of the family's cars. I mean shit, this story happens to almost all teens, in one way or another, WTF did they think? "Oh not my precious baby, it could never happen to MY son/daughter!" My parents wouldn't let any of us kids drive their cars until we were 18 and had our own insurance policy.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
I don't understand parents who get mad when their teens wind up wrecking or damaging one of the family's cars. I mean shit, this story happens to almost all teens, in one way or another, WTF did they think? "Oh not my precious baby, it could never happen to MY son/daughter!" My parents wouldn't let any of us kids drive their cars until we were 18 and had our own insurance policy.

Right, parents should know it's bound to happen especially with a 335i. The OP admitted to reckless behavior...in my opinion that's different from a teenager wrecking a car because of attempting to drive safely but simply lacking driving skill.
      07-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

time for some track experience brah
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

teenagers........

I remember in my teens i have given a brand new car. 2003 Eclipse. Looking back, thank god that car only had 140hp.

Giving anyone a car like a 335 to a person without 3years of experience (this is the BARE minimum) and not expecting something like OP scenario to happen needs a reality check.

My point: Your parents should have expected this scenario.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Depends on the kid, but you said it yourself. "I was drifting, which I normally do" Right there I knew you had no respect for the car.

I had a 350z at 18 and a 335 at 21. I never got into so much as a fender bender in either of them. I even had the 335 up to 400 whp. Never once did I forget the respect these cars require. You drive like an asshole, you get burned. I am sorry you had to learn your lesson the hard way. I too did very well in school but I knew from early on that driving like that on public roads was a very very bad idea. BTW, 335 doesn't have LSD. Trying to drift without LSD is pointless. All you are really doing is power sliding and you don't have nearly as much control over it as you thought.

I rarely drove my car in the rain because of the unpredictability of high horsepower + RWD cars. And you were running it hard with traction control off? Definitely showed your age in this instance.

Best of luck, and hope you learn from this experience. You could, and for all intents and purposes should, have spent some time in lock up for that stupid shit.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Lesson learned.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I blame your dad more then you for not teaching you right from wrong.

Lesson learned for both of you.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Get Mtech! Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
You had parents that didn't love you enough.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

Ouch! Sorry you had to go through this. I remember doing some rediculous stuf fon the road when I was young, but I never had to "learn the hard way" like you did. Sorry man.

Question though...the car should have had insurance, right? You're not paying your dad back $9K are you? Should be a deductible ($500-1000ish) and then whatever increase in premiums if any.
      07-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Most of us have been there, kid. When I was your age I had a Dodge Dart with a pathetic engine and a three-on-the-tree transmission. The complete lack of power kept me (mostly) out of trouble. We still did some lunatic things in it, though. Like sinking it in snow up to the door handles and racing it down dirt roads through the woods at night. Pure luck and the lack of real power kept me from being in your position (or worse). Most of the kids I knew who had muscle cars ended up wrecking them at one time or another.

Truth be told, your Dad did you no favors by handing you the keys to that car. You'd have been better off with an older 318is that you could wrench on and drive while you learned control and gained a bit of wisdom.

Hope things work out with the police and your dad. It ain't the end of the world, you know. Learn the lesson and move on.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
I also blame your dad for handing a teenager with no experience the keys to a 335. You are also stupid for trying to drift a 335 in the rain with traction control off.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
You are obviously not the DK.

07-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

been there done that, just not this extreme... hopefully you learned something in this case
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

ouch man. looks like you learned your lesson. so no reason to give you shit. I'm young too but I treat my car like its a fucking baby. Wash it 3 times a week, always wait until the oils warm to drive it harder, RARELY speed [when i mean speed i mean a few over] unless I absolutely know I'm safe and everyone around me is safe [basically nobody around me]. I would shit myself if my car had a dent on it let alone what you just went though. damn.

but yeah I was a dumbass about 6 months ago and in my neighborhood decided to take a c350 and hydro around at turn and since it was dark I couldnt see I got within about 2 inches of slamming some guys new black r8. that was the last time I did that.
      07-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #18
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Wtf did you leave the scene for? Nothing would've happened if you'd just stayed, that's why they call them accidents.

Yeah the car would've been wrecked (not a big deal, you have insurance), and it was wet out you could've said you had to avoid a cat running across the road and spun it.

Since your left you're pretty screwed, I wouldn't worry about not driving a 335i because you might lose your license for a while.
      07-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
The press of one DTC button opens up a whole world of pain.

Well, OP learned his lesson the hard way. He won't be doing this again I'm sure.
      07-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #20
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
We have a guy around the neighborhood that has a G37s Coupe and he is always drifting around corners, going 100+ down the 30mph straight away into the neighborhood, revving his engine all the time and taking turns around here like he's got the police chasing him or something. He's a lot like you, in fact I was wondering if he was you. Regardless, you and him are a lot alike and should not be doing this sh*t in a neighborhood. Bottom line is there are PEOPLE in a neighborhood, PEOPLE with legs to walk around, PEOPLE with ears to hear and in my opinion has got to be the dumbest place to do it, that is unless you can find a park full of people. Hope you take a trip to jail later on, would be the only way for people like you to learn.

Sorry for rant, just tired of stupid kids doing stupid things around my neighborhood when I'm walking, nearly got hit once and the cop let him off because quote "he's a good kid", like you. So again, hope you take a ride.
      07-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

How did the cops track you to your house?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #22
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
How did the cops track you to your house?
Let me take a guess: the license plate was taken down by witnesses.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0