BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

08-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

Any autoxer, tracker with tips to keep car reasonably scuff-free, etc.?

Hi all,

Brand new E92M owner here, just took delivery 2 nights ago. I did some causal autoxing with previous car (AP2) and intend to also autox the M3 for fun and to track it "at least once" for the experience.

My question here as stated in subject line. Anyone here also autox/track their M3 has tips on keeping the car reasonably "clean" (not dirt-wise) from scuff and stuff? I don't mean autoshow quality spotless kind of details.

Btw if it makes any difference, even when I autoxed the S2k I was never that aggressive and never even ate cones. I thought about if this post should go here or the autox/track forum but I figure this is more suitable since I am not asking how to go faster in M3

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Dont hit the cones!!!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I never found autocross to scuff my car except hitting cones. Clear bra on the front bumper works wonders for protecting the car on the street and track.

The track does tend to get the front end chipped up, particularly if you run the advanced group with lots of slicks etc. around you. Keeping back from other cars when you can decreases that risk. I've seen people apply painters tape to the whole front end, but I've never done that myself.

I track my cars a lot, and the only way you can tell is the rock/debris chips on the very bottom of the front bumper. Not a huge deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The autocross cone scuffs will usually polish off as they are pretty light scratches. When it is scraped bad, it can be pretty bad and permanent damage. On my previous car, I spun at the end of the course and hit the timing camera which left a dent on my rear door. I had to use paintless dent removal to take it out.

Using clear bra does help avoid permanent damage but I find the clear bra itself gets damaged by the cones and sometimes is harder to clean than paint scrapes. At least with clear bra you won't end up with permanent damage.

The best thing is to avoid the cones. If you are finding you are spinning and hitting cones pretty regularly, you may need to dial it back a bit or have an instructor or experienced autocrosser ride with you.

As for track, you will get melted brake and tire material get stuck to the paint. It comes off with tar remover.
Appreciate 0