BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #23
Socale92
DCT Test Pilot
Rep
Drives: ????

ive seen several around town and ive looked closely and the tips are clearly not connected, i dont think these are prototypes as they had ca plates....

ill try to get some pics next time...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #24
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socale92 View Post
ive seen several around town and ive looked closely and the tips are clearly not connected, i dont think these are prototypes as they had ca plates....

ill try to get some pics next time...
Proof enough for me. This leads me to think that everyone in defense of the is-f's exhaust is only going off some random state they made a while ago that the tips would actually be connected.

PIX OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN LEXUS!
      06-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #25
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

exhuast tips, fake
fender vents, fake
motorsports engine, fake
toyota, fake
      06-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #26
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

IS-Fake

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #27
MagicMtnDan
E92 wiithout iDrive (excellent)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Silverstone/blk

Why bash the IS-F? It doesn't make that car any worse or the M3 any better.

Lexus deserves credit for getting it right and making a great car the first time. It's a Lexus so the quality is excellent, the interior is excellent and the car reportedly performs very well.

I looked at the first IS-F that arrived at my local dealer and decided it didn't do anything for me styling wise. And I preferred the pedigree of the M3 and I'm glad I did.

Competition drives every company or they fall behind and fail. The IS-F will push BMW to continue to improve its cars and that's good for all of us.

2008 E92 M3 Silverstone II
2006 MB G500 Gelandewagen Irridium Silver
2006 MB SL500 Irridium Silver (wife's)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #28
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emergent View Post
Again... you are wrong. You should do your own search. These reports came from pre-production models.

"In the rear the most noticeable change from the IS 350 is the “F” badge and the addition of the stacked quad exhaust tips. While previous reports have surfaced showing pre-production placeholders for the upper tips, our test vehicle was full-functional for all four. "

http://www.autospies.com/news/Review...beat-it-22777/
ORLY?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #29
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
exhuast tips, fake
fender vents, fake
motorsports engine, fake
toyota, fake
Correction: Toyota is not fake. Maybe the IS-F as a true motorsport.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #30
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking Ohh my god this car is so fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Sorry, but it seems your wrong here. Many threads over this topic. The only picture that was provided to prove that the tips were connected... ended up only proving that they were still simply for aesthetics. I'll link you to the thread as well as link the pictures together. Enjoy.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=exhaust

Picture 1 "Pre-Prodction"

Picture 2 "Post-Production..?"

Pretty clear here that there was absolutely no change made to the exhaust. If after all this we are infact wrong about the exhaust... (I haven't seen a IS-F in person yet) then I encourage you to take a picture proving that they are connected now. Until then, I'm sceptical.

+1000000000000

IS-F : It's So - Fake

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #31
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

This is the underside shot of the exhaust of my IS-F

If you say that the vents on the IS-F are fake you're wrong. It's used to vent the heat that the engine generates. If I run my car very hard, this car gets very hot. Any additional cooling ports would allow heat to escape. Now the M3 has vents as well. Are those for cooling the engine too? or are they ornamental?

I'm pretty sure on a highway run... side by side, the F will pull on the M3 slightly.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #32
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdds View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. I generally like the styling for the IS-F. There are more than enough differences in the appearance to set it apart from a normal IS. (Who would want their 60k car mistaken for a 30-40k one? ) I didn't like the stacked exhaust at first, but it doesn't bother me as much anymore (still don't prefer them though!).
I'm with you, i'm also the minority here. I personally like the ISF even with the retarded hood. But out of the three competitors, C63, ISF, and e90 M3, my favorite one and the one that looks the best for me is the C63. But then again, i am a AMG fanboy. Here's a pic of one of the members ride from here, ngl1145.

BTW, here's a pic of his exhaust. No, they're not connected, it's just overlapping a extension from the tip, but you can't put your hands through it like they did on Autospies.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #33
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

as one mag said " Too much Fakery"
      06-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #34
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
as one mag said " Too much Fakery"
What is fake about it other than the exhaust tips? The side vents are functional.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #35
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by emergent View Post
Again... you are wrong. You should do your own search. These reports came from pre-production models.

"In the rear the most noticeable change from the IS 350 is the “F” badge and the addition of the stacked quad exhaust tips. While previous reports have surfaced showing pre-production placeholders for the upper tips, our test vehicle was full-functional for all four. "

http://www.autospies.com/news/Review...beat-it-22777/
I saw one at the car show. I put my hand between the exhaust tips and the exhaust. I didn't take a picture, it wasn't something I wanted to remember. This was after the car was arriving in dealerships. Can't say it wasn't "pre-production" but it certainly fit with everything I've read. The exhaust tips are embedded in the bumper. The exhaust ends before that and there is a gap. You should look for yourself if that sort of quality bothers you.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #36
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
I saw one at the car show. I put my hand between the exhaust tips and the exhaust. I didn't take a picture, it wasn't something I wanted to remember. This was after the car was arriving in dealerships. Can't say it wasn't "pre-production" but it certainly fit with everything I've read. The exhaust tips are embedded in the bumper. The exhaust ends before that and there is a gap. You should look for yourself if that sort of quality bothers you.
I can't stick my hands up into my exhaust area because there's a guard that prevents you from doing so. I suppose if you really wanted to curl your fingers around that just to put your fingers in you can, but I can't easily do that. I think those were early models.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #37
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

yeah even if it does have a fake rear exhaust pipe, you have to admit, it does emit a nice exhaust tone
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #38
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

I'd been following this thing since it was first announced, and being that I currently drive the old-gen IS, I was pretty flipping excited.

That excitement has gone, unfortunately . Its proportions are out of whack, and it sounds as though it doesn't deliver the same experience that it's competitors do. On the bright side, it still carries the same ride and interior refinement that is expected from Lexus, and while I've never driven the IS-F, I had a big enough grin on my face when I put the pedal down in an IS350 to know the IS-F would be a hoot in a straight line.

Last week I watched someone pull into an automated car wash in an IS-F wearing temporary tags and wanted to cry.

As for the exhaust, the IS boards are reporting the tips being fake as well, but its not like the extra 3 inches was going to effect performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #39
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like you base what you know on what you read. I've never driven the Lexus IS-F before but I can tell you that it isn't what I thought it should be because I read it in some magazine. There's a huge difference between the IS350 and F. I owned both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
That excitement has gone, unfortunately . Its proportions are out of whack, and it sounds as though it doesn't deliver the same experience that it's competitors do. On the bright side, it still carries the same ride and interior refinement that is expected from Lexus, and while I've never driven the IS-F, I had a big enough grin on my face when I put the pedal down in an IS350 to know the IS-F would be a hoot in a straight line.

As for the exhaust, the IS boards are reporting the tips being fake as well, but its not like the extra 3 inches was going to effect performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #40
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

to be honest, I've driven the IS-F on the track. I liked that car quite a bit.

I wanted to hate it before driving it, but I can't speak anything bad about it. it was quite a performer. the transmission was very crisp and had no delays--it was great, but I think 8 speeds may be too much. the exhaust note was perfect. the car pulled very well and could hold its own on the track.

the only reason why I wouldn't get it over an M3 is b/c I think the M3 looks far better inside and out and the IS-F is a four door--obviously a very subjective matter. also, I think I prefer higher revving engines and from my short drive of the e92 M3, I think the steering was more crisp and it provided better feedback. but, if the e92 M3 wasn't a consideration, I wouldn't hesitate getting the IS-F over the C63 (which has a terrible transmission).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #41
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl1145 View Post
Sounds like you base what you know on what you read. I've never driven the Lexus IS-F before but I can tell you that it isn't what I thought it should be because I read it in some magazine. There's a huge difference between the IS350 and F. I owned both.
I think I did a pretty good job explaining that I was basing the "experience" comment off what I'd read, so you don't really need to repeat that. As for the 350 and the F comparison... I was complimenting the 350, thereby complimenting the F... so no need to get defensive I like the car, the looks just aren't appealing to me, though the black one posted earlier is gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #42
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
to be honest, I've driven the IS-F on the track. I liked that car quite a bit.

I wanted to hate it before driving it, but I can't speak anything bad about it. it was quite a performer. the transmission was very crisp and had no delays--it was great, but I think 8 speeds may be too much. the exhaust note was perfect. the car pulled very well and could hold its own on the track.

the only reason why I wouldn't get it over an M3 is b/c I think the M3 looks far better inside and out and the IS-F is a four door--obviously a very subjective matter. also, I think I prefer higher revving engines and from my short drive of the e92 M3, I think the steering was more crisp and it provided better feedback. but, if the e92 M3 wasn't a consideration, I wouldn't hesitate getting the IS-F over the C63 (which has a terrible transmission).
Should'nt you compare it to the e90 M3 instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #43
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

whether fake or not, connected or not, the stacked exhausts are fugly.
      06-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #44
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
I think I did a pretty good job explaining that I was basing the "experience" comment off what I'd read, so you don't really need to repeat that. As for the 350 and the F comparison... I was complimenting the 350, thereby complimenting the F... so no need to get defensive I like the car, the looks just aren't appealing to me, though the black one posted earlier is gorgeous.
Sorry about that... I just see so many posting on how the car isn't good based on what they read. Isn't a very open minded way of thinking. I like the M3. Sure there are some things that I may not like about it, but I don't off by bashing it because I bought the other brand. So many people are stuck on the brand that they buy. Seems a little superficial. All the cars in this class are really good.
Appreciate 0