BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

12-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

How to: Cancel your cell service early without early termination fee

I want to share this with you guys, it's a little trick I've learned by accident.

I recently got out of my Sprint contract one year early without any penalties. I had a Sprint broadband card because I was moving so often that I didn't want to go thru the hassle of connecting and disconnecting services everywhere I go. So I got an unlimited data plan for $60 per month and I was using it as my primary ISP.

A few months ago, Sprint sent me this bright yellow warning letter saying that I'm exceeding the data limit of 5 GB per month. As far as I know, I bought the unlimited plan. Evidently, Sprint has changed the user agreement to 5GB per month a few months prior to the warning letter. Needless to say, I didn't know that. So I called them and said that "WTF is this BS". On the call, they informed my that I've used over 15GB of bandwidth three months in a row and I'm in violation of the user agreement, and that any further violation would result in termination of service. I told them that I had no idea that they have changed the user agreement and that this service will no longer work for me; because I bought the service thinking that I can use it as my primary ISP. They said that, in that case, I may elected to cancel the service without any penalties. What is more surprising is that since I'm a "flagged" customer and that I have elected to cancel, I even got one month of service fee credited back to me. This actually worked out great for me, because I have finally settled in to a place and was looking to get out of the plan anyways so I can get DSL for a cheaper price.

So guys, if you want to get out of your contract, just download a shit load of stuff and hopefully your service provider will do the same as Sprint.

hint: AT&T recently changed the user agreement to 5GB per month also. It's no longer unlimited.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

Well, here's a big note before you think about doing this: You had to have been on one of the "unlimited" plans prior to the change. You are not currently getting charged for overages because you were grandfathered in. Instead of charging you, they do flag the account for excessive usage.

For those of you who signed up originally on a 5GB allowance, you will be charged overages which could easily result in the same price it would cost to pay your ETF.

Just a heads up, this "trick" is great for those who can qualify, however, I would be willing to bet the majority are not in the same boat.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Funny story, My friend try to get out of his T-mobile 2 year cell contract like a year in. (he wants to start a new contract to get phone discount) T-mobile has unlimited data plan which he has. He then tethered his phone to his home and work computer whenever he can and downloaded this huge file that took days, after he was done, he would delete the file and download it again and again. after like a month and prob 50gb of data, he called into T-mobile and was straight up with them. He said look I can keep this up for the remainder of my contract period because I cancelled my home broadband. Or you can let me off the contract early. The rep talked to her manager for a while and came back and got him off the contract.
He then went out and opened another account 2 hours later with his dad's SS lol.
Appreciate 0