BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

06-15-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Auto tranny down-shifting when flooring it....sucks!

Today, I raced a modded e46 M3.
I was in second gear at about 3000 rmps when I floored it and, of course, the tranny had nothing better to do than shift to 1st, which lost time and caused tire spin and the M3 pulled on me. By the time I started catching up we had to brake.

Anybody annoyed by the fact that in Manual mode, the tranny down-shifts when you floor it (if, of course, there is enough RMP band to allow the down-shift)???

I think it's pretty stupid!!

In Manual mode the driver should have full control, except for the auto-shift at redline to protect the engine, which I understand....

P.S. please don't tell me that I should have gotten the 6MT. I choosed the AT for several other reasons.
      06-15-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
well then put it in manual mode and floor all the way just riding on top of the button behind the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do not push the gas to kick down point (the notch you feel when you push the gas all the way down) and it wont automatically downshift for you. In some cars its really hard not to push it past the kick down point, but i noticed with the 335 the notch is quite heavy so its very easy to stop before the kick down point.
      06-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Will you still get full throlle if you don go past the kick down point?
      06-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
Will you still get full throlle if you don go past the kick down point?

yes!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

It takes a few times to get the feel for it, but yes you can floor it without engaging kick down.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

When I'm in sport mode and use the paddle shifter it will not kick down on me. I take off in 1st and hit 6000 rpm I shift to 2nd and off I go. If I take off in second and I'M using the paddles it still will not kick down. It works for me.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 04:26 AM   #8
Inkidoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Down shifting SUCKS ano my friend. When I was racing this bike, my stupid 335i kept down shifting. Fuck... specially in at 105mph +, it down shifted horribly all the time, and the bike just pulled off naturally. When I got it to not down shift by not stepping on full gas, the biker said he wasn't pushing it 100%... So, the reason why this bike "kicks" my ass at 105mph is because of the down shift, I need a the freedom of a Manual :
|| 335i Sedan || Montego Blue || Black Leather || Aluminum Trim || Sport Package || STEPTRONIC || Paddle Shifters || BWM Assist/Bluetooth || Park Distance Control || Comfort Access || Navigation System || Satellite Radio ||
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
NO no no... The reason why the bike kicks your ass is because the weight to power ratio is MUCH better on just about any bike than your 3000 LBS BMW!

As for the kick-down. That's for passing on the freeway. It's for folks that want some extra power when they want to pass. It's been on all automatics for a LONG time. People with sticks will tell you that sometimes the best thing to do is downshift and get the engine higher in the power band so you have more power to go faster. So either A) go into manual mode on your slushbox trany or learn to drive a stick and get a car with some guts.

BTW: Manuals driven correctly also get better gas mileage as well as being consistently faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 05:49 AM   #10
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
When I'm in sport mode and use the paddle shifter it will not kick down on me. I take off in 1st and hit 6000 rpm I shift to 2nd and off I go. If I take off in second and I'M using the paddles it still will not kick down. It works for me.
well DUH.....if your already in first gear and you push it down to engage the button what else is it gonna do? Shift to 0? They're talking about when your cruising and you punch it to the point where the button is enganged, then it down shifts to put the engine in a higher RPM which gives it a bit more go.

I have paddles too and I rarely ever push the pedal down to the button point, actually I never do unless its on a freeway. Pushing the pedal right to point where it hasnt engaged the button is very easy.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #11
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
NO no no... The reason why the bike kicks your ass is because the weight to power ratio is MUCH better on just about any bike than your 3000 LBS BMW!

As for the kick-down. That's for passing on the freeway. It's for folks that want some extra power when they want to pass. It's been on all automatics for a LONG time.
Exactly. You didnt lose to a bike becuase of your shifting dude haha, power to weight is where its at. You lose to a bike becuase..........ITS A BIKE, well given that it was above 600cc's then you dont stand a chance, under any circumstances. And 1,000cc+ bikes are almost untouchable.

There are very few cars that can beat a bike off the line......the 335 is most certainly not one of them. There are also very few cars that can beat a bike at top end speeds...........again, the 335 is not of them. Try a Carrera GT, Lamborghini LP640, Ferrari Enzo, Bugatti Veyron, Lingenfelter s/c'd Z06, Porshce 997 turbo, BMW M5, and all the other super high output exotics would probably be able to do the job some where along the line, wether it be at top end or off the line.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals

Last edited by Neema; 06-25-2007 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

Bugatti Veyron
      06-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

It's REALLY easy to not hit the kickdown switch but still give WOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
Today, I raced a modded e46 M3.
I was in second gear at about 3000 rmps when I floored it and, of course, the tranny had nothing better to do than shift to 1st, which lost time and caused tire spin and the M3 pulled on me. By the time I started catching up we had to brake.

Anybody annoyed by the fact that in Manual mode, the tranny down-shifts when you floor it (if, of course, there is enough RMP band to allow the down-shift)???

I think it's pretty stupid!!

In Manual mode the driver should have full control, except for the auto-shift at redline to protect the engine, which I understand....

P.S. please don't tell me that I should have gotten the 6MT. I choosed the AT for several other reasons.
Amazing how some people that have this car with an auto trans don't have a clue how it works. Simply amazing.
      06-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
phazedkid
e92
Rep
Drives: e92

/OFFTOPIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
Try a Carrera GT, Lamborghini LP640, Ferrari Enzo, Bugatti Veyron, Lingenfelter s/c'd Z06, Porshce 997 turbo, BMW M5, and all the other super high output exotics...
m5? super high output exotics??
haha. sorry but that M5 is waaayyy out of class among the other cars you listed. I get the point that M5 may be able to beat some bikes off the line/top ends but i just had to point it out. M5 is not a "super high output exotic"

/OFFTOPIC

OP: with a little bit of playing around you'll be able to find that WOT spot w/o reaching kickdown point.
Appreciate 0