BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #67
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
although i dont have a set of LUX, i know a lot of people who dont have issues with it and i think being cautious by re-calling an entire batch and replacing it before anything happens to anyone's headlights is a good idea. props for being responsible and backing up your product. i can think of many vendors that would be happy to just keep it under the carpet and ignore the problems.
I think the being proactive is great but the part I have a problem with is the way the fix is being made. Now we don't know for sure since there has been liminted details given about how the fix is going to be made but its not just a direct swap out of the old for a new. To me, just extending the wires so that the power supply is outside the headlight housing is not really a fix but more like a band-aid.

If only two power supplies out of 1000+ have gone bad, is this really something wrong with the whole batch of power supplies or just random failures? Is it something that can be remedied by just going back to the old power supply? Is it even possible to go back to the old power supply? What exactly is happening when the power supply fails that damages the headlight assembly? I think these are the questions that really need to be answered so that we can get a clear understanding of what's happening and what's needs to be done to fix it.
      04-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #68
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I think the being proactive is great but the part I have a problem with is the way the fix is being made. Now we don't know for sure since there has been liminted details given about how the fix is going to be made but its not just a direct swap out of the old for a new. To me, just extending the wires so that the power supply is outside the headlight housing is not really a fix but more like a band-aid.

If only two power supplies out of 1000+ have gone bad, is this really something wrong with the whole batch of power supplies or just random failures? Is it something that can be remedied by just going back to the old power supply? Is it even possible to go back to the old power supply? What exactly is happening when the power supply fails that damages the headlight assembly? I think these are the questions that really need to be answered so that we can get a clear understanding of what's happening and what's needs to be done to fix it.
I understand your concern, and i'll do the best i can to answer everything. First off with the old power supply, those are no longer available because of a potential legal issue with a direct competitor to LUX. its quite a long and extensive story, and beleive me it was not a good few weeks for me dealing with that. I almost needed to stop making LUX H8's because of this.

As for the fix, With the testing that was done, we concluded that the failed power supply had overheated inside the headlight, causing damage to one of the chips, which then malfunctioned. Moving the power supply outside of the headlight and putting an in-line fuse will fix this 2 ways. It will prevent the chip from getting damaged because it will not be exposed to these temperatures, and as well the fuse will act as a safe-guard.

I hope that clears things up for you ( and others)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #69
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
+1
I agree. I took mine out last night and shipped them out today for repair. I still think the LUX is the BEST unit on the market and my car looks sick with them installed.

I'm still wondering why my 6500K power supply read 1010 and a few others 6500K power supply reads 1014??
you shipped them back already? nam paid the shipping or wat, cause i sure as hell aint paying anymore on these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIIK2NR View Post
wow..... who`s paying to fix your headlights? BMW?
BMW did, i had to pay for the rental car - I know big woop, but it was still a pita, and no angel eyes for 2 weeks prior
marc is a goodguy, just shit happens, i wish nam was a bit more sympathetic (to me) at least though.
      04-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #70
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

I give Marc and NA Motorsports mad props for stepping up and doing this Recall when there is only 2 out of 100s of relays that went bad.

I have a 1 year old son that rides with me and I would have been more pissed if they didn't do anything and something had happened to my car with him in it!!

LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #71
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
I understand your concern, and i'll do the best i can to answer everything. First off with the old power supply, those are no longer available because of a potential legal issue with a direct competitor to LUX. its quite a long and extensive story, and beleive me it was not a good few weeks for me dealing with that. I almost needed to stop making LUX H8's because of this.

As for the fix, With the testing that was done, we concluded that the failed power supply had overheated inside the headlight, causing damage to one of the chips, which then malfunctioned. Moving the power supply outside of the headlight and putting an in-line fuse will fix this 2 ways. It will prevent the chip from getting damaged because it will not be exposed to these temperatures, and as well the fuse will act as a safe-guard.

I hope that clears things up for you ( and others)
That does explain a lot. Thanks for clearing that up.
      04-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #72
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
That does explain a lot. Thanks for clearing that up.
Yes, but it still doesn't explain how the updated LUX kit will install without drilling any holes!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #73
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Why not go back to the two LED setup. That is the way to go now IMO. The two LED setup looks great as it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #74
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
First of all let me say that I like my Lux H8's and I agree the chances of failure are very low, however I do not like the band aid approach to the fix. I would think, and correct me if I am wrong, the proper solution would be to replace all the possibly affected power supply units when a new design is acquired. The last thing we all want to see is someone injured when a failure occurs at night while driving. I hope you will make the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #75
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Yes, but it still doesn't explain how the updated LUX kit will install without drilling any holes!
Why would you have to drill Nick?
2 small wires can fit through the plastic cover on top of the headlights, and EVEN if they dont, you put a tiny hole on the back of it (just enough to let the wires through) and your good to go

No big deal at all, my headlight cover thing has a hole in the back of it (so you cant see it) from back when I had HIDs in the Angel Eyes
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #76
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Why would you have to drill Nick?
2 small wires can fit through the plastic cover on top of the headlights, and EVEN if they dont, you put a tiny hole on the back of it (just enough to let the wires through) and your good to go
Agreed. Even a tiny, well-placed notch will take care of this and be virtually invisible if you needed to revert back to stock. Of course, that would be easier if you could get to the right side more easily......
      04-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #77
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Marc did say he'd have details by this weekend so lets just wait it out and see.
      04-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #78
DaRipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

Garage List
2007 E93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
you shipped them back already? nam paid the shipping or wat, cause i sure as hell aint paying anymore on these things.

BMW did, i had to pay for the rental car - I know big woop, but it was still a pita, and no angel eyes for 2 weeks prior
marc is a goodguy, just shit happens, i wish nam was a bit more sympathetic (to me) at least though.

niqui,

So both left and right LUX H8 failed on you? What kind of damage was done to your headlights? The original power wires melted and or was there physical damage to the headlight like the angel eye glass shattered?

-DaRip
Arrived to Port Hueneme 5/15/07
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #79
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

I just removed my LUX H8s, and will be sending them back for repair today

The angel eyes just look SO lame, now, with the OEM bulbs.

Can't wait to get the LUXs back!
      04-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #80
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckmaster View Post
I understand shit happens. And I don't have a problem with that. But for the guys in Canada, not only having to pay the freight to ship these back but also having to wait the week to 10 days to get the lights back to NAM, the turn around for repair. Then to have to wait another 7-10 days to get them back really sucks. I would think a recall should never have to be covered by the customer no matter where they live? What do you think???????
a week to 10 days? took me 2.5 weeks from date of shipment to the great white, remote seal hunting village of toronto

havent even opened the package yet to see the product, and not sure if I should bother doing so from the looks of it!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #81
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I agree that, from the pictures, the older LUX (I assume they were 2 LEDs vs. the new 4 LEDs) looked better. I hope that NAM will start offering the older ones again.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #82
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I agree that, from the pictures, the older LUX (I assume they were 2 LEDs vs. the new 4 LEDs) looked better. I hope that NAM will start offering the older ones again.
I kind of agree too. The new one seems to be less uniformed. The inner rings are now too bright.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #83
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Anybody get a prepaid shipping label from NAM yet? If so, is it by e-mail or regular mail? I asked for one 2 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #84
DaRipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

Garage List
2007 E93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsu View Post
Anybody get a prepaid shipping label from NAM yet? If so, is it by e-mail or regular mail? I asked for one 2 days ago.
Got mine a day later through email. Just print it up and head to usps. Sending mine off today. Hopefully it will be back to me 1.5 weeks.

- DaRip
Arrived to Port Hueneme 5/15/07
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #85
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I already sent mine to get repaired, but I find it rather dumb that Canadians have to pay for shipping and possibly the duty once they get shipped back. NAM should have stepped up for the North of the border customers. Definitely the last time I will buy anything from them.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #86
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

so if we bought these from one of your retailers who is responsible for the refund NAM or the retailer?? also are the new ones being sold have the fix done to them or you are not currently selling new ones??

nuqui you are lucky BMW fixed your lights bc in reality with aftermarket angel eyes they could of voided it
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #87
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
so if we bought these from one of your retailers who is responsible for the refund NAM or the retailer?? also are the new ones being sold have the fix done to them or you are not currently selling new ones??

nuqui you are lucky BMW fixed your lights bc in reality with aftermarket angel eyes they could of voided it
yeah i know
my sa is cool, and knew i was running aftermarket even though i did the swap
i told nam and they didnt really give a shit, it was like get it fixed under warranty and sorry we will send u a new kit.
      05-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #88
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

new headlights aren't cheap. i won't be taking a chance and returning mine and looking for a different angel eye upgrade. i know there is a supposed fix to this recall but how much time is on the fix?? how do we know it is really fixed. i don't know if i would have a cool dealer to cover those and i am not spending over 1k on new lights. screw that.
Appreciate 0