BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP

VRS or JL motoring bootlid

Can anyone let me know there any differences btw these two bootlids? Is it worth spending the extra money on vorsteiner or not??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I can guarantee the fit/finish on the Vorsteiner piece. The VRS piece utilizes a dry-carbon lay process (in comparison to the wet-lay MFG process of competitor's products, it produces a much more quality product). The quality of the weave will be more consistent and I can assure you will be more than satisfied with the Vorsteiner piece...

You will not be disappointed spending the extra $ for the VRS. Let me know if you had any other questions or concerns.

Last edited by SV Concepts II; 07-28-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

I bought the JL carbon trunk and went with the challenge one instead. If you want it for $400 plus shipping you are welcome.

It's unpainted, full carbon.

Also have an OEM Euro front bumper (in AW) with PDC holes for $1000. Shipping it together will be same shipping price so worth it in the long run?

PM if you are interested

Last edited by Bob MG; 08-01-2010 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
I can guarantee the fit/finish on the Vorsteiner piece. The VRS piece utilizes a dry-carbon lay process (in comparison to the wet-lay MFG process of competitor's products, it produces a much more quality product). The quality of the weave will be more consistent and I can assure you will be more than satisfied with the Vorsteiner piece...

You will not be disappointed spending the extra $ for the VRS. Let me know if you had any other questions or concerns.
dont be so sure of your self. I use to own one and fitment wasnt so great especially for the ridiculous price.....

I know 3 other people who have had fitment issues...

save your cash and get the JL
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M 4 Life View Post
Can anyone let me know there any differences btw these two bootlids? Is it worth spending the extra money on vorsteiner or not??

Thanks
The biggest difference between the 2 is that the VRS one is authentic while the JL Motoring one is a 110% replica of the VRS one. I've heard the JL Motoring one even has the VRS logo on it It all depends on if you want the real deal or a knockoff. I would treat your ///M right and go for the authentic
      08-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
The biggest difference between the 2 is that the VRS one is authentic while the JL Motoring one is a 110% replica of the VRS one. I've heard the JL Motoring one even has the VRS logo on it It all depends on if you want the real deal or a knockoff. I would treat your ///M right and go for the authentic
fyi: they are both replicas

they is no such thing as a csl trunk for the e92.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

I've seen both pieces and to be honest they not only fit the exact same by they're virtually identical.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
dont be so sure of your self. I use to own one and fitment wasnt so great especially for the ridiculous price.....

I know 3 other people who have had fitment issues...

save your cash and get the JL
Yes and no, I have the VRS piece, and I'm far from happy with the fitment(may also want to google Vorsteiner and leaking) ..

If I was going to do it right, I'd do it right from beginning...skip both and go challenge.
      08-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post

Let me tell you something, here is what you guys keep on doing that bothers me.

You promote vorsteiner, vorsteiner promotes you, they promote longtran, longtran promote karbonwerke and the circle goes on and on. By any means i am not saying that the services or products given by the names above are bad in any way, all i am saying is that just because you guys have a "bond" going on with each other, doesn't make all the other products worthless and not worth trying.

Just my .02 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
I've seen both pieces and to be honest they not only fit the exact same by they're virtually identical.
You know i respect you a great deal, mike, but you've just demonstrated your fundamental misunderstanding of carbon composites.

Wet lay cf is to dry vacuum cf as cast alloy wheels are to forged aluminum wheels.... As a Kia is to a BMW.... As a fossil is to a rolex. Both do the job in a cursory way, but only one is top quality, engineered to last using the finest manufacturing techniques. The other just tries it's hardest to "look" like he real deal.

I'm not interested in engaging in this same tired argument. Suffice it to say that if price is your primary concern (over longevity, quality, weight, warranty, strength, fitment, etc....), Vorsteiner is not for you. If you want top grade products at an affordable price, then it is. If you want the best of the best, go pay 5k for an Ericsson bootlid.

If you're serious about the Vorsteiner product, please feel free to call us toll free and our representatives will spend as much time as you like explaining the differences and what you get with authentic vrs. Having that conversation here is just not productive due to huge biases.

The suggestion that a wet lay product is comparable is a joke. Even if it fits well now, let's talk in a year when it's yellowed and warped. I'm a huge advocate of Taiwan for a lot of products... Lighting, plastics, even some of our electronics come from there. But when you're talking about a huge panel of your car... Stick to American, German, Swedish, or Japanese manufacturers. I have yet to see decent dry carbon out of china or Taiwan.

P.S. Yes, we do support Vorsteiner tirelessly... That's because we used to sell the other crap and know how many problems our customers had. Our customers expect and deserve quality.

Last edited by SV Concepts; 08-02-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep

Also, to those who complained of fitment issues, I'm pretty confident it is an adjustment issue. I've owned and installed these bootlids and they fit flawlessly from my experience. If yours doesn't fit, by some freak occurrence, contact us. The great thing about vorsteiner is it's actually, like, a reputable company that stands by it's products. The 5 or so occurrences in 5 years where parts didn't fit (out of literally thousands of pieces we've sold), Vorsteiner replaced the parts free of charge. A couple times, they even re-did the mold so future customers won't have problems (that's why you can't buy an e60 hood right now).

Happy to help...

Last edited by SV Concepts; 08-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: iphone keeps correcting "fitment" to "figment"
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
E92M3Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 M3

Vorsteiner has great marketing skills. They are a built replica company themselves. CSL trunks are all BMW ideas so its not really rocket science when they start talking about fitment here and there...vorsteiner has a whole gang of fitment issues. Just go with whichever is most reasonable and has the greatest reviews by the enthusiast, not a vendor. Vendors here are to make money and not be your friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #13
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3Guy View Post
Vorsteiner has great marketing skills. They are a built replica company themselves. CSL trunks are all BMW ideas so its not really rocket science when they start talking about fitment here and there...vorsteiner has a whole gang of fitment issues. Just go with whichever is most reasonable and has the greatest reviews by the enthusiast, not a vendor. Vendors here are to make money and not be your friend.
+1, its a whole gang of people promoting each other & when a new kid steps on the block, they make it seem like their stuff is far more superior and if anybody says something, they got the support of other vendors, which say "yea go with this brand instead, we sell 100's of them w/o a complaint"
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
fyi: they are both replicas

they is no such thing as a csl trunk for the e92.
There's no such thing as a BMW made CSL bootlid for the E9X, but VRS created one and JL Motoring replicated exactly what VRS created. That's all I'm saying.
      08-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
Rep
Drives: A Car

How this thread has gone so off topic. He is just asking which of the two bootlids.

I bought replica's in the past to save a buck or two, perhaps I've had bad luck. I bought VRS there after to save myself the hassle and I've been very happy ever since.

My trunk is a Challenge race version though. My diffusers are VRS.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
Let me tell you something, here is what you guys keep on doing that bothers me.

You promote vorsteiner, vorsteiner promotes you, they promote longtran, longtran promote karbonwerke and the circle goes on and on. By any means i am not saying that the services or products given by the names above are bad in any way, all i am saying is that just because you guys have a "bond" going on with each other, doesn't make all the other products worthless and not worth trying.

Just my .02 cents.
Hey man i totally agree 100%, some people need to stop using posts to promote themselves. Why do you think they have something good to say about V? Because JLEVI sells them.

For who ever wants to get JL motoring.....go for it...

You can literally buy two trunks for one of the V ones.

Ive owned two V trunks, for my e46 330 and one for my e92 335....way over rated.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
Psylight
Brigadier General
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT

Vorsteiner is freakishly overpriced and the fitment is not consistent. I had every vrs part available for e92 335i, except the front lip, and every single one fit horribly.

"Perfection Redefined" my ass.
      08-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

Smoke up ass is all it is, just get the JL, work it and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #19
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

what I can tell you is that the JL trun is not smooth finish as the VRS or Challenge

You could not leave it raw carbon as you would see the waviness in the sun

To paint, it requires alot of prep work to flatten and smooth

Just my ,10 cents
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #20
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP

it seems like they are both the same really besides small differences? i'll just go with jL
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #21
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M 4 Life View Post
it seems like they are both the same really besides small differences? i'll just go with jL
If wet lay CF vs. authentic dry vacuum formed CF is a "small" difference

Wet lay carbon fiber is to dry vacuum formed CF as grape juice is to a great Napa Valley red wine. It's made from the same stuff, but due to important manufacturing steps, it's a totally different end product with a totally different price and a totally different set of benefits. But, both are still a beverage, if that's how you look at it.

More info: http://octanereport.com/tech/2010/03...r-with-kn.html

Again, to those of you who have fitment issues, please contact us and we can help you make it right, even if you didn't purchase from us. Vorsteiner stands by their products, and we stand by Vorsteiner.

Best of luck whichever route you go.

Last edited by SV Concepts; 08-10-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #22
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post

The suggestion that a wet lay product is comparable is a joke. Even if it fits well now, let's talk in a year when it's yellowed and warped. I'm a huge advocate of Taiwan for a lot of products... Lighting, plastics, even some of our electronics come from there. But when you're talking about a huge panel of your car... Stick to American, German, Swedish, or Japanese manufacturers. I have yet to see decent dry carbon out of china or Taiwan.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7327099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moko View Post
haha..

NO, they are not a Germany company; this company ran by a Chinese American in California, USA.

here is the owner pic; guess which one is him?
Since that thread was never fully disclosed further information, might be interested in the front lip though
My question, where is exactly vorstiner products made? California?
Appreciate 0