BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW M3 Coupe

Problem with afe filter and possible solution.

I just installed my afe oiled filter:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195970

The problem with the filter is that the whole side where the tension knob pushes into the filter is soft (compared to the hard plastic on the oem filter). This seems to create a loose connection under pressure. Many have noticed rattling etc. Someone on this forum noted how easily the filter peels away from the intake manifold side. This is not true of the oem filter.

To rectify this problem, I cut out part of the oem filter plastic and placed it between the spring and the afe filter. This also creates a larger surface area under tension from the spring.

Part where the filter easily peels off....

OEM Piece cut out....

Installed in car:

Does the intake cover go OVER the rubber tube? Can anyone check for me please??? I left it like this for now.

Closed it up, took it for a drive and it is as quiet as a mouse (except for the sucking sound)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Nice fix! Thanks for posting.
I used some rubber silicone and it holding quite well, it also very easy to remove if need be.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Hmm great idea, I think i'll try this too. I didn't like the extra rattling like noise that afe filter makes.
      12-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep

Can you check out my last pic? does the cover go over the rubber tube or do I have to push it into it?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msile View Post
Can you check out my last pic? does the cover go over the rubber tube or do I have to push it into it?
It goes into it.

BTW, I just installed the dry AFE filter and I have 0 problems so far... just tested it out. Loving it so far. I'll post a follow up if I run into any problems.

-20% Tint/GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs/BMW Performance Pedals/AFE Air Filter/Eisenmann Race
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Great post and thanks for the pics. I just got my aFe filter but haven't installed it yet. Perhaps I'll try your method.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
FWIW, the orange Active Autowerke filter has a milled aluminum endpiece set into a hard plastic endcap for just this purpose. Although it's got a paper element is has many more folds than stock or the AFE filter, not sure if this is better or worse for performance.

Last edited by consolidated; 12-26-2008 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I never noticed any problem with mine. I will have to check next year.
      12-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
FWIW, the orange Active Autowerke filter has a milled aluminum endpiece set into a hard plastic endcap for just this purpose. Although it's got a paper element is has many more folds than stock or the AFE filter, not sure if this is better or worse for performance.
Yeah, that's the way to do it right.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKBRDR View Post
It goes into it.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Any pictures of AA filter ? just want to compare to AFE
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #12
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKBRDR View Post
It goes into it.

BTW, I just installed the dry AFE filter and I have 0 problems so far... just tested it out. Loving it so far. I'll post a follow up if I run into any problems.

Dumb question here, but does the dry AFE filter fit tight and snug as OEM and the oiled filter fit loose? Is there a difference in design/fit? I read on the web sight and other posts that the oiled filter has a slightly higher air flow. sounds like I'd go with the dry element and not have to worry about doing my own mod to get the oiled to fit properly. Is this the case???
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
Any pictures of AA filter ? just want to compare to AFE

You can see the filter has a soft ends with a hard nylon-like internal grid frame and cap, you can also see the Made in Austria label but the rest of the manufacturers info redacted, .

The AA filter must come from the OEM supplier based on the lettering on both and the similar frame. See the EU vs US and then the part number on each piece.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Dumb question here, but does the dry AFE filter fit tight and snug as OEM and the oiled filter fit loose? Is there a difference in design/fit? I read on the web sight and other posts that the oiled filter has a slightly higher air flow. sounds like I'd go with the dry element and not have to worry about doing my own mod to get the oiled to fit properly. Is this the case???
Both the dry and the oiled have the same end caps.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Quote:
You can see the filter has a soft ends with a hard nylon-like internal grid frame and cap, you can also see the Made in Austria label but the rest of the manufacturers info redacted, .

The AA filter must come from the OEM supplier based on the lettering on both and the similar frame. See the EU vs US and then the part number on each piece.

Hmm... thanks for posting the pics. Looks like the AA filter may just be a stock EU filter with a different cap. I think there were posts about the spring loaded knob being a different length for non-NA cars in the early AFE treads. So, a cap change may have been required to fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
Hmm... thanks for posting the pics. Looks like the AA filter may just be a stock EU filter with a different cap. I think there were posts about the spring loaded knob being a different length for non-NA cars in the early AFE treads. So, a cap change may have been required to fit.
It's very likely an OEM EU filter, which to me is not a bad thing since it eliminates the charcoal element, is less restrictive and has stock-like particle size filtration. It also fits very solidly, no rattles to speak of.

Notice that the aluminum cap goes thru the frame and visible at the interior of the filter, not a simple modification for a $54 filter, I'm guessing it came this way from the OEM manf. to someone's spec (AA) if it's not an off-the-shelf EU OEM part.

Compared to the US OEM part this filter has at least twice the number of pleats.
Appreciate 0