BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

There's a monster under my hood

It’s been a little over a week since I picked up my long waited, brand spanking new Space Grey M3 from the Performance Delivery Center. The long and dreaded wait had started at the middle of June when I sold my precious 2007 Porsche GT3 and continued until the 27th of September, long and boring days those were. If you ask me why I would sell such a car and get into an M3, and I’m sure some of you will, it’s easy: I needed a car that was sporty yet comfortable and big enough for everyday use. As expected the PD experience was not short of spectacular; the staff was professional and the treatment was simply delightful.

The drive back to South Florida was long (12 hours), and the next day was a close friend’s birthday; so unfortunately I did not have the luxury of sticking around and exploring the states of South Carolina or Georgia. I basically drove down all the way to Jacksonville in the first day and checked into a hotel off the I-95 and spent the night to gain back my energy.

Last night it was raining down hard, and on the way to a local bar, me and my buddy hit the 1,000 mile marker and. When we got out around 3:00 in the morning (and no, I only had one drink and was sober), the asphalt was still dark and reflecting the lights off the road. There was a grin on my face when I saw the wet roads; this was what I had been waiting for a long time. No traffic and shiny wet roads! I decided that it was time to let the engine and the needle rip all the way to the long dreaded 8,300 RPM marker. It would not have been a smart move to try speed runs on public roads, so I decided to see her handling and drift capabilities.

The first thing I did once I fired her up was turn DSC Off, and Power On. We put on our seat belts and my friend gave me the silent nod. What fun the drive back home was, we were drifting every corner possible. The car is a blast! And how easy she is to control in oversteer situations. We parked the car with a smile on our faces and went our separate ways.

Now on to my review of the car:

Here’s my brief opinion about the e92 M3 after a short ownership and coming from owning two Porsche 911s (a 997 mkI Carrera S and a 997 mkI GT3), the cars are completely different. It is hard to compare a FR car to a RR car; it is kind of like comparing apples and oranges, also not to mention the difference in class. The GT3 is much more performance/track oriented (and my old GT3 had bucket seats and rose joint suspension bits), kind of like an M3 GTS, basically a bare race car with a license plate and a registration. The M3 is a sports car which is much more civilized with rear seats, a ton of comfort features, and an actual trunk where you can fit a lot.

The S65 engine is phenomenal! I am so happy I bought an e92 instead of waiting for the new upcoming turbo charged M4 coupe. The sound of the V8 is so intoxicating and alluring, it sings a mesmerizing tune. The torque curve on the M3 is much smoother and the power delivery comes in much lower RPM compared to the Porsche. I cannot compare acceleration since I have not let her rip on the highway or taken her to a race track yet, but she seems plenty strong. To be perfectly honest (and I hope I don’t get crucified and stoned for this) but I feel like the Porsche is faster on a straight line due to the lower weight.

In terms of handling, the M3 loves to over steer. This was one of the main reasons for choosing this car over others on the market. I love to drift since owning a 350Z, and drifting in a 911 is dangerous and requires much more attention and work. It basically is not so safe to do it, and I knew every inch of the car and how she reacted in every single situation because of my time in her on the race tracks. The M3’s weight distribution is very good and handles well, although as other people have mentioned for a car with so much power and a considerable weight these cars are under rubbered. At least I was lucky enough to get the car with Michelin Pilot Sports, which provide better handling than the two other alternatives.

I chose manual transmission as I like to be more involved with my cars. Although I have driven the DCT transmission, and will admit it is far superior, the involvement and the pure driving pleasure of the manual cannot be denied by hard core enthusiasts like myself. The shifts are long and sloppy after owning two Porsches. The transmission and the shifter are so mechanical and crisp in the Porsche that the M3’s shifter feels long and vague to say the least. There may be a short shifter in the future of my car.

To give a full review I will need some more time, and would love to take her out on the track to get to know her better.

The mods I currently have on the car are these:

-M Performance Exhaust (love it! Nice throaty sound but is not in any way loud enough to annoy you)
-KW Sleeve Over Kit (much better feel, and better handling)
-Macht Schnell air filter
-Performance Black Kidney Grills and Side Gills
-IND paint matched reflectors
-IND painted gloss black Hood Vents
-Macht Schnell Spacers (12mm up front, 10mm in the back)
-Lux H8 V3 angel eyes
-20% window tint
-IND paint matched Space Grey Center Console

Once I receive my title, register my car and install my personalized license plate I am planning to do a nice shoot. For now here are some crappy pictures I took in the garage. Enjoy!

PS: I really like this car, and I am happy with my decision. For what she offers, I really do think this is the ultimate driving machine.
Attached Images

10-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Congrats. I started to read your post but couldn't finish it. Sounds like you had a blast though. I love this car so much that it feels like Xmas morning everyday I get behind the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Verry.....verry nice whrite up and congrats !
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Congrats! She's a beaut...

Thanks for your review. I appreciate the opinions of owners like you who are coming to the M3 from other desirable cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

hit nail on head. as much as i love my gt3, its not an every day car. the m3 is so much fun and i'm happy in it every day. i switched to a manual from DCT and couldn't be happier. clutch pedal is little on the light side. i didn't like the seat height. switching to recaro pole position solved that. i actually sit higher in the porsche now. i also whole heartily agree with the M3 being such a fun and easy car to drift. It begs for it and its so easy to dance on that edge. The Porsche is not the car to experiment with oversteer unless you have plenty of room to throw the back end around.

i drove the new M5 and got it to easily show its turbo lag. the torque when boost is on is nice but i could tell almost immediately it wasn't going to be fun for long. hoping the turbo M3's are engineered a little more linearly, but my E90 M3 might just have to be a keeper.
      10-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Congrats! SG + 6MT was a wise choice, but of course I'm biased
      10-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
SSJVegita
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3

nice man, i actually just bought a m3 in the same color as urs, lets get more pics so i can see if i wanna copy you hahahah
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Glad you are lovin the car, it's quite the piece of engineering and I feel grateful every time I get behind the wheel.

The ssk may not make the world of difference. I tried the route and didn't find much improvement. Getting a heavier shift knob felt like it made a bigger difference but still a long ways off from what you will experience in a p-car.

Enjoy the car in good health. It truly is the best of both worlds.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys!

Karussell: You're right, M3 is like a slutty girl that flirts with you and tries to throw you off your game She begs you to play around with her

The seating position is higher, but I got used to it fairly quick. There's nothing like the feel of a 6 speed!

I don't like forced induction, period. I also don't like cars that have low rev limiters. Hence the GT3 then M3. Both cars had rev limiters above 8,000 RPM. I really wish I could have kept my GT3 and owned an M3 for daily driver, but did not have the financial situation to do so. The 997 GT3 and RS models are the last of their kin.

Vegita: I love the nick name Congrats on your purchase as well! My car is cosmetically not much different from a stock car, so even if I post more pics I don't know what you're expecting to see.

Ricfutures: Thanks for your honest opinion. You may be right, but it's not just the weight, the throws are pretty long as well.
      10-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
hpc3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 Base, Build Week 12

Yep, same here... although nice to hear the GT3 isn't a DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post
Congrats. I started to read your post but couldn't finish it. Sounds like you had a blast though. I love this car so much that it feels like Xmas morning everyday I get behind the wheels.
...like all my buddies keep telling me =)

OP Enjoy it. We're almost twins...

Born on July 4th, 2012, PCD September 5th, 2012.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
We are all happy for you. You bought the right car. Space Gray was my 2nd choice and a spectacular color. Nobody is gonna flame you here for saying a 911 is faster. It's a testament to how great the M3 is that people just vascilate and/or flow back and forth between it and 911. Enjoy your car great health. Great review too.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Thanks for sharing your (partial) review. Car looks great - one of my favorite colors. I agree with you that this is the Ultimate Driving Machine as it does so many things well. Smiles per hour this thing is faster than cars twice its price.

Would love to see pics of the color matched console, if you have them..?

Enjoy.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Nice review, congrats. The car is a blast to drive every single day. Glad you are enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! I wish I could keep the M3 for a DD and the GT3 for a track car, but I'm starting a new business and don't have the luxury or the time to go to track anytime soon...

PrimoM3, I will take some pics and upload them when I get a chance. I have the steering wheel trim painted as well but that airbag is one PIA to remove...
      10-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

I wish I could drift...well I probably could - albeit at a complete hazard to my own safety...really need the skills to take these types of cars to the limit to truly tell the differences...OP - sounds like you got these hehe =) Glad you're enjoying the car, it's a highway monster...comfortably eats up miles like nothing
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^ I'm pretty sure you can, just need practice. When I first started drifting, or rather practicing, me and my buddy would do it at his apartments vast parking lot when it rained.

You need a good space with no cars around. And if it's wet, even better. Because the car breaks traction much easier and hence you don't need to carry much speed. Doing some DE events help your driving skills in general as well.
      10-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

w00t!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

nice write up! enjoy the car in good health!
      10-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Nice write up. Welcome to the SG ZCP club
      10-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
GeoffM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

+1 traded my E90 on an GT3, as soon as realized I was getting the crap kicked out of me trying to DD and Track the car. By the time I knew I had to have another E9X, E90's were gone, I love my E92 but it isn't any E90
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Beautiful car and congrats, but theres no way I would have given up the GT3! That was the car that was supposed to replace my MCoupe but the damn things just won't depreciate. Don't get me wrong, I love my e92, but it was definitely the consolation prize to my hoped for GT3 ownership.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
congrats. Good write-up
Appreciate 0