BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Frustrating: No US pricing or DCT announcement

I find it very frustrating that BMW still has not announced pricing or anything about DCT.

It's ridiculous that there's no pricing yet they are taking orders. About the DCT transmission, I’m beginning to wonder if they are having some issues with it and thus the reason there's been no mention of it other than what is referenced in the magazine articles.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

yeah no doubt bmw is being shady, but we know they have to release this information eventually because, in the end, they want us to buy their cars so they make money. there has already been a lot of talk about this on this forum, but bmw is probably trying to gather as much data on the US economy and also info about how m3 sales are doing in countries where it is already available. the pricing is a touchy subject and they don't want to screw it up. as far as DCT goes, bmw has done an excellent job of keeping this secret. we have hardly seen any (i can't even remember seeing one) picture of what the DCT setup is going to look like in the car. but eventually it is going to happen...patience is key!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
".....as far as DCT goes, bmw has done an excellent job of keeping this secret. we have hardly seen any (i can't even remember seeing one) picture of what the DCT setup is going to look like in the car. but eventually it is going to happen...patience is key!
As far as DCT is concerned, I'm patient, but I have to wonder what is happening with their testing and how far off it really will be when it comes out. If they are having problems, they won’t talk about it, and they won’t release it. So the wait just seems to induce a thought that maybe it's not going all that well. I hope I'm wrong.

BTW...there has been only one picture that I have seen on DCT in the interior. The pic was taken of a test mule in Southern CA where the interior was covered up. Even then, who knows what was under the covering.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3 View Post
BTW...there has been only one picture that I have seen on DCT in the interior. The pic was taken of a test mule in Southern CA where the interior was covered up. Even then, who knows what was under the covering.
I wouldn't call that a picture of the DCT then. If it was covered up then it could of been anything. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence... Its nothing.

Plus, BMW never gave any info about DCT except that it would eventually be available. All the march predictions are from rumors and have absolutely no concrete source. Knowing this, its possible BMW isn't behind on the system at all and is moving on normally. If you dwell on something your mind has a tendency to take the worst case scenario and blow it out of proportion. Which only gets worse as your education on the subject increases, aka the mitsubishi rumor on the Evo X DCT.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Plus, BMW never gave any info about DCT except that it would eventually be available.
Yes and no.

The documentation we have is from BMW UK (a subsidiary) not from BMW GmbH nor BMW M. The document claims,
Quote:
7-speed M Double Clutch Transmission with Drive logic (M DCT Drivelogic) - anticipated to start production in March 2008
I am sure the document is buried somewhere here on the forum but it is reposted here for clarity sake and just to give folks some small shred of official information (if you call coming from a subsidiary "official").
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E92_dealer_info_UK.pdf (71.0 KB, 297 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #6
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
All the march predictions are from rumors and have absolutely no concrete source.
Wrong. BMW Switzerland told me that DCT will be presented in Geneva together with the convertible. There is no reason not to belive them; it's not March yet...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 03:21 AM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
Wrong. BMW Switzerland told me that DCT will be presented in Geneva together with the convertible. There is no reason not to belive them; it's not March yet...
Thats new information to me. Where were you when we were discussing this at length a few weeks ago?

Even still however, an appearance in a car show does not mean immediate production I'm afraid. The M3 concept was seen at the last Geneva convention and it didn't hit production in Europe until sept/October-ish.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 03:37 AM   #8
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Thats new information to me. Where were you when we were discussing this at length a few weeks ago?

Even still however, an appearance in a car show does not mean immediate production I'm afraid. The M3 concept was seen at the last Geneva convention and it didn't hit production in Europe until sept/October-ish.
I have posted this already some time ago. They also told me that if I wanted DCT I should place my order for April/May as DCT is expected to be available by then. We'll see. I have an April production slot and if DCT is really available then, I will get my DCT M3 in April.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 03:42 AM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

While it all sounds very convincing (I hope it's true), I don't suppose you could ask that Swiss dealer for any proof eh?

Only because dealerships are notorious for being full of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 04:06 AM   #10
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
While it all sounds very convincing (I hope it's true), I don't suppose you could ask that Swiss dealer for any proof eh?

I know that dealers don't know sh*t and just try to make a quick sale. That's why I talked to a guy from BWM Switzerland AG at a M3 test driving event.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:

This (E93 + M-DCT in Geneva) has also been disussed by other sources, including SCOTT26. Though he is by no means perfect (he claimed we'd see a press release of some type last month), he clearly has connections inside BMW.

The thing is even if it debuts in Geneva, and goes on sale in Europe soon after, we still don't know how that will translate to US availability.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

That is definitly ONE thing that I like and respect about MBZ USA.

As soon as a new model comes out (C, E, CLS, C, CL, etc.) they release the AMG version and pricing moderatly quick (though the C63 price is still under wraps).

Why can't BMW be like that?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post

As soon as a new model comes out (C, E, CLS, C, CL, etc.) they release the AMG version and pricing moderatly quick (though the C63 price is still under wraps).

Perhaps the economy is not what it used to be, with talk of recession and in the middle of a war.

Perhaps they are waiting for the Holidays market results to better appreciate what's really going on in the economy.

Or just perhaps BMW learned something about having to discount the Z4 M, the M5 and the M6 thru lease incentives and straight cash.

We all only know that they just want to make some profit while selling some 100,000 M3 worldwide... I would take my time if I were BMW also.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakybimmer View Post
Why are you blaming on the US eco...... that's just crazy talk
Well, you buy cars with money, right? If money is tight for a considerable amount of people then a considerable amount of new cars -especially at this level- are not going to be sold... that's nothing new, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
MFL101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RRS SC

I was told by my dealer (who works at a BMW owned dealership...maybe the only one? in Manhattan) that the pricing will be released during this month....we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So...MB is different from BMW? how lol
I have not read that they want to move as many C63's as BMW M3's, do you?

Actually, I did read somewhere that the total of AMGs sold last year worldwide was something around 30,000.

Just in case, Lexus only expect to sell a total of some 3000 IS-F next year in the USA.

To be honest, the level of car enthusiasts in this forum -not bimmerheads, there's a big difference IMO- is simply sad...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #17
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Homer Simpson: You can prove anything with facts. 14% of people know that.

Here's hoping the DCT mystery is solved soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So M3 come out slower than AMG has direct correlation to US economy? lol I guess it's proven then
whatever you are trying to prove is a stretch...go ahead
You are not proving the opposite either... actually, you are proving nothing if you think about it. The fact remains that BMW wants to sell some 100000 M3 worldwide, from some 90,000 of the previous generation (E46). For that to happen in the USA (expected to get almost half of that number), while the Euro vs Dollar is not helping at all, the gasoline prices this high, housing market all messed up, and more competition than ever before in this category, requires some imagination from BMW in positioning this M3 price right to sell that quantity, I would think. Especially after observing some sales declines in the rest of the M-Series models.

But I guess that money and the overall economy is no issue at least for you, so good for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #19
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You are not proving the opposite either... actually, you are proving nothing if you think about it. The fact remains that BMW wants to sell some 100000 M3 worldwide, from some 90,000 of the previous generation (E46). For that to happen in the USA (expected to get almost half of that number), while the Euro vs Dollar is not helping at all, the gasoline prices this high, housing market all messed up, and more competition than ever before in this category, requires some imagination from BMW in positioning this M3 price right to sell that quantity, I would think. Especially after observing some sales declines in the rest of the M-Series models.

But I guess that money and the overall economy is no issue at least for you, so good for you.
+MF1 This man speaks the truth.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post

So, even if BMW was exactly like MB in this sense... we would still be in the same situation. Both cars are US destined at around March '08. We would possibly be worse off since some people have mentioned that the MSRP will be announced in December.

This thread is basically all here-say.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #21
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
So M3 come out slower than AMG has direct correlation to US economy? lol I guess it's proven then
whatever you are trying to prove is a stretch...go ahead
Many things are slow here.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 02:44 AM   #22
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

BMW knows what you will pay and when you need the info. Of that I'm sure. I would suspect they have the behavior of consumers and people like us all graphed out on some wall chart in their marketing war room. They have all the money and time in the world to spend on researching you and I, we just have time for bitching...and bitching is free.