BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Recommendations on pad cleaning

Hey all! Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping fresh polishing/waxing pads?

I know I've seen a grit guard/pad cleaning thing from detailers domain, but it's a bit pricey and I'm not sure if I want to invest. Link to it for those interested: https://detailersdomain.com/Grit-Gua...her_p_189.html

Is it better to just buy multiple pads and use them up as an expendable item? Looking for some tips from the pros here
      03-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Chemical guys has a good pad cleaner. Also get there pad conditioner.
      03-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Mike -

I think it is a good investment if you plan to keep the pads fresh after using them. Get pad cleaner and condition and a pad cleaning system and you will save in the long run.

-Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Hot water and regular detergent. Special cleaners or whatever else is not needed and waste of money IMO.

Or running the pad against a towel during use.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Hot water with dish soap to break up the wax, then throw it in the washing machine with all my other car crap.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Hot water and regular detergent. Special cleaners or whatever else is not needed and waste of money IMO.

Or running the pad against a towel during use.
Yes, but this takes how long to dry the pads out? Say you need them during a detail or while you are detailing?

I have been through 10-15 pads during a detail before and needed more. If you are on the road away from home the pad cleaner is a must if you ask me.

-Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Thanks for the great info guys! Will definitely wait and see.

Actually, down here in the Fayetteville area, we don't have any good "real" detailers. We only have the run of the mill carwashes that mess up your rides. Someone caught me looking at pics in this forum the other day and we got to talking. Now a few other people in my unit on Fort Bragg saw my truck after I polished/waxed it and said, "Where did you have that done?" I told them I did it and they were hooked, asking me tons of questions about what I did, how long it took, how much would I charge for it, etc. I was thinking about maybe starting something up on the side for friends or people I work with.

Not sure if I want to get too involved with it since my free time is precious to me but I asked a couple people and they told me that they would pay me to get the results on their cars that I got on my truck. And besides, I want to get some catless x-pipes so bad but don't have the money for it right now, lol A few details for some people and I might be closer to that goal!
      03-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Yes, but this takes how long to dry the pads out? Say you need them during a detail or while you are detailing?

I have been through 10-15 pads during a detail before and needed more. If you are on the road away from home the pad cleaner is a must if you ask me.

-Martin
For a detailer sure, but I think most people here are just regular people working in their garages.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Thanks for the great info guys! Will definitely wait and see.

Actually, down here in the Fayetteville area, we don't have any good "real" detailers. We only have the run of the mill carwashes that mess up your rides. Someone caught me looking at pics in this forum the other day and we got to talking. Now a few other people in my unit on Fort Bragg saw my truck after I polished/waxed it and said, "Where did you have that done?" I told them I did it and they were hooked, asking me tons of questions about what I did, how long it took, how much would I charge for it, etc. I was thinking about maybe starting something up on the side for friends or people I work with.

Not sure if I want to get too involved with it since my free time is precious to me but I asked a couple people and they told me that they would pay me to get the results on their cars that I got on my truck. And besides, I want to get some catless x-pipes so bad but don't have the money for it right now, lol A few details for some people and I might be closer to that goal!
I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
For a detailer sure, but I think most people here are just regular people working in their garages.
Agree 100%

If you need to get by without spending the cash by all means cleaning them and drying them by hand works

-Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

buy more and swap out. I use about 6-8 cutting pads, and 4-5 polishing pads, and 2 polishing pads for the final step, one for sealant.

throw them all in the washer and then dry them...come out near brand new!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
So you guys just leave them sit out to dry?
      03-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Slap it on the orbital and turn it on 6, outside of corse since you dont want to slig water all over your car

I just buy the pad cleaner from AG when they're running free shipping and hang them up to dry

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I've been using this while running the pads under warm water...gets them almost back to new. Highly recommend. Works on buffing pads, applicators, etc.

http://www.autogeek.net/padtool.html

Various manufacturers also make pad cleaning agents, like powder you mix with water, but after getting this, I really have not needed to use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
dhahlen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 318is, e90 335i, e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Slap it on the orbital and turn it on 6, outside of corse since you dont want to slig water all over your car

I just buy the pad cleaner from AG when they're running free shipping and hang them up to dry
I do that, but i slap them on my 9227c and turn it up to max, dries them out in 10 seconds, lol.

I use pad cleaner and a 5 gallon bucket, dip them in, ring them, then dunk them in fresh water and then spin them on a rotary
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
dhahlen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 318is, e90 335i, e92 m3

Quote:
If you sit them out to dry, get a clean towel to set them on. Put them face down (away from the backing pad) so the water does not run toward the loop and hook side.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

time is money, buying more pads and just swapping, then throwing them all in the washer at the end of the day and walking away takes way less time...figure each pad to take about 3-5 min to wash, rinse, clean, rinse, dry (no, 10 seconds on the rotary doesnt dry them 100% and if you have a polish that doesnt like water, you will hate life trying to get the polish residue off the panel after use) so you do that 6-10 times throughout a detail, you wasted an hour.

takes 5 seconds to remove, center and place on a new pad and continue working. at the end, putting them all in the washer takes 20 seconds, taking them out and putting them in the dryer another 20, and then out of the dryer another 20....not hard to see that its more beneficial

Of course, that is for me since I am doing a car every single day though, might be different for someone doing just their own cars...

just food for thought
Appreciate 0