BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #45
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Agreed, but with a simple brake upgrade, find the M to be faster around the track... Have only had one cayman pass me and it was this one. He had to let up as his brakes faded too trying to catch me and was pretty sure his were upgraded

I believe the Porsche driver also doesn't understand the concept of an apex.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #46
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Does anyone know how easy or hard it is to increase horsepower in a porsche from 325hp to 400hp? What are we talking about here? Adding another $15-20k? 325hp is just a tad short of where I would like it to be. But as I said earlier, I would love to have one and would have bought one if it were out just a couple months ago.
You don't need 400hp IMO for this car. Remember, it weighs only 2900-3000 lbs, and is mid-engine so it has very little drive line power loss. More power also means bigger tires, brakes, and a heavier car structurally. I really think the Cayman S is one of the finest sports cars on the planet in terms of its overall execution. I seriously looked at one, but needed the utility of the M3 as well as the added comfort on long trips. And as we all know....there is just something special about that V8 !!
      02-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #47
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin
Quote:
Agreed, but with a simple brake upgrade, find the M to be faster around the track... Have only had one cayman pass me and it was this one. He had to let up as his brakes faded too trying to catch me and was pretty sure his were upgraded

I believe the Porsche driver also doesn't understand the concept of an apex.
I believe you don't know the track... And he only really missed one, and that's because his brakes faded, at the end of the long straight. Just saying, cayman's aren't the dominating force at the track, 911's are, and really only the GT variants...
      02-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #48
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
You don't need 400hp IMO for this car. Remember, it weighs only 2900-3000 lbs, and is mid-engine so it has very little drive line power loss. More power also means bigger tires, brakes, and a heavier car structurally. I really think the Cayman S is one of the finest sports cars on the planet in terms of its overall execution. I seriously looked at one, but needed the utility of the M3 as well as the added comfort on long trips. And as we all know....there is just something special about that V8 !!
Yes sir, there certainly is. V8 magic, it's hard to explain.

I even debate on getting a VT-1 550 kit, just because I don't want to interfere with how balanced this car is in every situation I put it in.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #49
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
I believe you don't know the track... And he only really missed one, and that's because his brakes faded, at the end of the long straight. Just saying, cayman's aren't the dominating force at the track, 911's are, and really only the GT variants...
He missed one two turns after he passed you, unless it's a really late apex and you were early, but that's not how it looked to me. Then he really missed one later after the brakes went. But I don't know the track, as you state correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #50
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

ive oly had one cayman pass me as well and it was last week when the bullet racing cayman just fresh from 24hrs of daytona got me.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #51
E90ab335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver E90 335i

Pick up a cayman S and don't look back. A whole different world as far as driving experience. I'm getting the biggest dick over the 981 S....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #52
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

As you all know, driver skill is the most important variable at the track. Although, it is hard to make up 100+ horsepower (a stock Cayman S vs a modified M3).

The Cayman can make even an average driver look good, especially a PDK car and it is a great car for a beginner at a tight track.

Former car: 2007 335i. JB3

Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #53
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
ive oly had one cayman pass me as well and it was last week when the bullet racing cayman just fresh from 24hrs of daytona got me.
We should track some time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
The Cayman can make even an average driver look good, especially a PDK car and it is a great car for a beginner at a tight track.
I think the M3 is better at making someone look like a better driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #54
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Driving Miss Daisy

Save up for the GT3. You won't regret the car. The car is nearly perfect for street and the track.

No limp mode, no fading brakes, and it already has a good and capable suspension. All you have to do is flush the brake fluid and get a good alignment. If you find one with the GT2 sport buckets seats just add a 4 point rollbar and add some harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #55
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skxf430 View Post
Save up for the GT3. You won't regret the car. The car is nearly perfect for street and the track.

No limp mode, no fading brakes, and it already has a good and capable suspension. All you have to do is flush the brake fluid and get a good alignment. If you find one with the GT2 sport buckets seats just add a 4 point rollbar and add some harnesses.
Upgrade the LSD and go for a track worthy alignment. Porsche LSDs are weak sauce, unless you're talking cup car.
Appreciate 0