BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

First time in drag strip...

first time in drag strip, only had a chance to have one run. 13.407 @110mph
I messed up the start. My friend in the audi missed a shift. first timers

in the street launching the car with or without LC seems much easier. There is a lot of pressure when you have two cement walls by your side.

I was at the royal purple drag strip which is almost at sea level, I should be at least 0.5-0.6 seconds faster.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

That's like 1 sec delay there
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas

in the street launching the car with or without LC seems much easier. There is a lot of pressure when you have two cement walls by your side.

I was at the royal purple drag strip which is almost at sea level, I should be at least 0.5-0.6 seconds faster.
Yeah I learned that racing at an actual track its way harder.... Well maybe not harder but it feels like there's a lot of pressure haha. Keep going you'll get better.
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
newton976
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for sharing! I used to go to RedLine out here in DFW for years but finally got my M and didn't realized they had closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
I know what you mean, OP-- there is a LOT going through your mind at the start of a drag strip, not to mention having a crowd watching. It's even worse with manual trans cars. I sometimes fear I'll have an embarassing break-down on the starting line (Vipers are known for snapping half-shafts). As with any racetrack experience, staying calm and focused goes a long way to executing quick times.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

even with a slower start, you beat your competition
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
M3 GT4
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFUM3 View Post
Yeah I learned that racing at an actual track its way harder.... Well maybe not harder but it feels like there's a lot of pressure haha. Keep going you'll get better.
dct looks embarassing from a stopped start in your video. Looks like it was still trying to make up its mind while the other car got a 1/2 car ahead of you (looks almost like 0.8 sec lag). No way that's driver (you) fault. How difficult is it to press a pedal when the light goes green. damn.
6MT for the win, no hesitation with the car, total control. With 6MT IF you mess up a start you know it's your fault never the car (dct).

Last edited by M3 GT4; 04-04-2015 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 GT4 View Post
dct looks embarassing from a stopped start in your video. Looks like it was still trying to make up its mind while the other car got a 1/2 car ahead of you (looks almost like 0.8 sec lag). No way that's driver (you) fault. How difficult is it to press a pedal when the light goes green. damn.
6MT for the win, no hesitation with the car, total control. With 6MT IF you mess up a start you know it's you never the car (dct).
How funny......now this will turn into the old as hell DCT vs Manual discussion. But before it does let me say......this was total user error. DCT at it's worse won't hesitate like that. Nice try and judging by your post count, you should search the argument you are trying to start. I'm sure you'll get 10 pages of the nonsense you seek............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 3
      04-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Action JacksonE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 DCT

Don't worry, I lose to my friends stock S2000 my first time at the strip. We even had a bet that the loser has to pay the other entrance fee and fill their tank of gas. It was a real David Vs Goliath fight. I was so embarrassed!

Launch Control is a joke on these cars. I smashed on the gas and car just sat there and did nothing then started spinning the tires when it decided to go. By the time I got going, he was already half way down the track.

But I killed him the second run by just leaving it in sport mode and leaving like I was at a light on the street. Too bad we were betting on the first run. He wouldn't even double it or nothing. Just took my money and ran. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #10
rpl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

Quote:

Looking forward to my first drag strip run this spring so sorry for the noobie question--did you get track insurance and did you wear a helmet?
      04-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
M3 GT4
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
How funny......now this will turn into the old as hell DCT vs Manual discussion. But before it does let me say......this was total user error. DCT at it's worse won't hesitate like that. Nice try and judging by your post count, you should search the argument you are trying to start. I'm sure you'll get 10 pages of the nonsense you seek............Phil
trust me you've got way way less posts than me with your 2.5K. If you can add 2 and 2 you'll understand what I mean....

Which makes your presomptuous post look very silly, ...rookie.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
trust me you've got way way less posts than me with your 2.5K. If you can add 2 and 2 you'll understand what I mean....

Which makes your presomptuous post look very silly, ...rookie.
Exactly my point......you should know your comment will start a discussion that has been burned to death. Yes I saw your double post count which is why I made the sarcastic comment. So if anyone looks silly it would be a forum veteran still speaking on a subject that is tired and old........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Had a 12.9@110 in my 1st time out. Agree LC on this car is retarted to try and use. I had better luck quickly rolling into the throttle. If I smashed the gas it just spun. 60ft time was still in the 2.2 range so get a good launch and the car will do a 12.5 no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #14
M3 GT4
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Exactly my point......you should know your comment will start a discussion that has been burned to death. Yes I saw your double post count which is why I made the sarcastic comment. So if anyone looks silly it would be a forum veteran still speaking on a subject that is tired and old........Phil
Your mind frozen presumption that everybody is on the same agenda as you is laughable. I do not give any second thoughts or damn for that matter before posting whether my comment will re-ignite 6mt/dct. That's your problem.
This drag video is embarrassing and it's attributable to dct. It's a good video to show that dct limitation.
6MT FTW since 2007 --
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
Looking forward to my first drag strip run this spring so sorry for the noobie question--did you get track insurance and did you wear a helmet?
you need a helmet if you run faster than 14.00. however in the first run you do not need a helmet because they dont know how fast you are running. I think it depends on the location to follow thru with those rules.
No you dont need insurance.

I tried to step on the break and press the gas but at break dct de-couples so next time i will try flooring without pressing brakes at the beginning

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #16
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your mind frozen presumption that everybody is on the same agenda as you is laughable. I do not give any second thoughts or damn for that matter before posting whether my comment will re-ignite 6mt/dct. That's your problem.
This drag video is embarrassing and it's attributable to dct. It's a good video to show that dct limitation.
6MT FTW since 2007 --
Sounds good to me......enjoy yourself and your 6MT.......Phil
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #17
FashionablyFast
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus

Garage List
Regardless of the bad launch, shouldn't the trap speed be much faster than 110 with a BPM stage II tune/test pipes?
      04-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Not too bad for first try! I think I would've screwed up a lot worse since I have a 6MT and never tried launching the car..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #19
FashionablyFast
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus

Garage List
Quote:
6MT FTW since 2007 --
From what I can see in the vid, it looks like the driver rolled across the line then took off late.
If he's in any DCT setting other than S1, it will ALWAYS start in first gear from a dead stop. Also, with the foot on the floor, it will not be confused as to what gear is next.
      04-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #20
rpl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
you need a helmet if you run faster than 14.00. however in the first run you do not need a helmet because they dont know how fast you are running. I think it depends on the location to follow thru with those rules.
No you dont need insurance.

I tried to step on the break and press the gas but at break dct de-couples so next time i will try flooring without pressing brakes at the beginning
Thanks
      04-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoCal View Post
From what I can see in the vid, it looks like the driver rolled across the line then took off late.
If he's in any DCT setting other than S1, it will ALWAYS start in first gear from a dead stop. Also, with the foot on the floor, it will not be confused as to what gear is next.
you are right. I had my left foot on the brake. when i lifted brake and hit gas the car jerked because it wasnt in gear fully.

Appreciate 0