BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

10-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
dkracing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Any up to date Steering Wheel installs?

I know I know, search first, but all the install threads I find have dead picture links.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

It's easy, you don't need pics. Just unplug battery and make sure airbag is discharged (I do anyway). Removing the airbag is done by finding the two holes on the back of the wheel, like below the stalks on each side. Just feel around, they're nearly invisible, but they're there. Push a small screwdriver in the holes to push in a clip. You're doing this blind so it may take 5 seconds if you're lucky or 5 min if you're fishing for it. Either way, you'll get them and the bag just pops out. Unplug wires, unscrew the nut, put on new wheel and reverse the steps. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
dkracing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
It's easy, you don't need pics. Just unplug battery and make sure airbag is discharged (I do anyway). Removing the airbag is done by finding the two holes on the back of the wheel, like below the stalks on each side. Just feel around, they're nearly invisible, but they're there. Push a small screwdriver in the holes to push in a clip. You're doing this blind so it may take 5 seconds if you're lucky or 5 min if you're fishing for it. Either way, you'll get them and the bag just pops out. Unplug wires, unscrew the nut, put on new wheel and reverse the steps. Good luck.
Other than the holes, any pain points?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Not at all. Once the bag is popped it's literally like 3 steps and pretty much impossible to get wrong. Now, if you're swapping DCT paddles you'll want to YouTube that part, but it's easy too. If it's just the wheel it's not tricky, there's even a spline so the wheel will be straight.
Appreciate 0