BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #133
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
Sold my '11 E90 M to see if I can go back to driving domestic muscle cars. Bought a 392 Challenger SRT8 and regretted my decision almost immediately. Sold the the chally, bought a beater and just picked up a '13 Melbourne Red E92 M3 and will never buy another domestic car as long as I live.
You sold your M3 for a Challenger? C'mon man!
Having said that, welcome back in the M3.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #134
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandDry View Post
Practicality, actual cost of item, maintenance cost, and re-sale value.

Driving a Ferrari daily is a PITA. I love mine, but it's not a practical car. Also, you really don't get the joy of driving that car in a 5 mile work commute.

You ever get door dings? Sorry, but with the amount that the Ferrari cost, I'm not really comfortable parking it in the Whole Foods parking lot The Ferrari is a luxury item. It's not just a car.

The other thing is the high maintenance cost. When something goes wrong with the Ferrari, it's a lot of money. The clutch only lasts 10-15K miles and that's 6 grand right there.

The last thing is re-sale value. Put those miles on and it's worth a lot less if you want to sell it later.

Upgrade is not just tied to performance.
I guess I would argue if you can't afford maintence costs of driving a ferrari daily than you probably shouldn't buy a ferrari. 99 percent of owners would consider maintence costs or 10-15k a drop in the bucket.

I guess when I buy a car, I buy to enjoy it everyday. Next car I am getting is a GT3 next year and plan to daily drive it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #135
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
I guess I would argue if you can't afford maintence costs of driving a ferrari daily than you probably shouldn't buy a ferrari. 99 percent of owners would consider maintence costs or 10-15k a drop in the bucket.

I guess when I buy a car, I buy to enjoy it everyday. Next car I am getting is a GT3 next year and plan to daily drive it.
You bet your ass I'll be driving the R8 as much as possible, despite the fact that I have a daily! I bought it to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #136
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post

Whatever dude.

I'm sure I can afford it. If you really want to compare net worth PM me. When I had a GT3 I didn't daily drive that either. You know why? Because it's a track car and that's where I drove it.

Do I think it's silly to daily drive a GT3? Absolutely, but I wouldn't tell other people what to do with their cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #137
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandDry View Post
Whatever dude.

I'm sure I can afford it. If you really want to compare net worth PM me. When I had a GT3 I didn't daily drive that either. You know why? Because it's a track car and that's where I drove it.

Do I think it's silly to daily drive a GT3? Absolutely, but I wouldn't tell other people what to do with their cars.
to be honest, I have to disagree with you here. a GT3 is meant to be driven on the road frequently (I'm not gonna debate what constitutes daily driving). if you were to only drive it on the track, you bought the wrong car. it's in being a street-legal racecar that the GT3 finds its purpose. if one were to only use it on the track, one should buy a cup car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #138
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I guess I should say that driving my GT3 as a daily driver was silly for me. Although, I do think that a GT3 that doesn't see track duty as kind of a waste. I did street drive it quite a bit, but driving to work everyday? I just don't see the attraction.

Too loud, too stiff, too much camber, Pagid yellows making initial stopping in the cold hard, and Cup tires making driving in the rain/cool dangerous. The 997.1 also had no PASM and that car was set up pretty neutral. In the wet, you had to be on top of it.

Sure I could have switched all that out, but then it wouldn't be really what I wanted for the track. A cup car is a whole different level, one at which I wasn't close to approaching. Sorry,my last post was a little too pointed as I was replying in a little annoyance to the last poster.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #139
fitzrx7
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3... sold :-(

Well, I think I'll be telling my kids someday how I owned one of the greatest sports cars ever made, my '11 MWM ZCP E92 M3. It's going to be like those stories I heard from my dad about how he had an Opel GT, or someone else that had a really rare 60's Mustang. Definitely was a sad day when it was loaded up on the trailer. Replacement? A mint '03 4dr Mazda Protoge (que laughing) ....but I'm in the market for something just a little bit faster than the M3. I sacrificed the M car so I could buy a small 2 seat, aerobatic aircraft (Van's RV-4 FWIW), so that should make up for the loss, I hope.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #140
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzrx7 View Post
I sacrificed the M car so I could buy a small 2 seat, aerobatic aircraft (Van's RV-4 FWIW), so that should make up for the loss, I hope.
I think that qualifies as an upgrade.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #141
StraightUpFitness
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Boss Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
Sold my '11 E90 M to see if I can go back to driving domestic muscle cars. Bought a 392 Challenger SRT8 and regretted my decision almost immediately. Sold the the chally, bought a beater and just picked up a '13 Melbourne Red E92 M3 and will never buy another domestic car as long as I live.
Haha... man I've been FIGHTING the Challenger bug ever since I drove a rental 2011 Toxic Orange R/T

I know there's no comparison with the M3.. but the Challenger does have that something. And it's cheap ($40k for brand new)

Last year I bought a 2013 Boss Laguna Seca and sold it after 3 months before the plastic interior could fall apart..

Now, as crazy as it sounds, to this day I'm tempted to get a Header Orange SRT8 Challenger with an obnoxious exhaust. But I think I'll regret it in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #142
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Imo, the challenger is the worst choice an m3 driver could make. Way too mushy of suspension, I feel like it's set up to be an american luxury/muscle car. I like the boss 302 and newer shelbys better. I recently ran some type of hennesey challenger, didn't get a chance to ask him which specific kit it was. I think it was the base model which equates to 550 to 600 crank hp. My car weighs around 3500 and is FBO with a dct. I beat him twice by a length and he got me on the 3rd by a half. They're very heavy, the stock 2013 srt8 is 4170 pounds! Boss 302: 3631 21013 shelby: 3850 z06: 3199

I want to eventually get a z06 in addition to my m3. I'm not in love with the interior or exterior of the car, but the performance can't be denied. With the c7 coming out soon, I'm hoping the c6 z becomes even more affordable used. Right now a nice low mileage car can be had for low 40s. And they are very easy to turn into monsters, many parts are also cheap compared to our m3s.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #143
anthonyrap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 competition package

I recently sold my 2011 Alpine White M3 with VF Engineering VF540 supercharger kit for a 13' Nissan GTR Black Edition and can't be more happy with my decision!

-The M3 was a beautiful car inside and out.
-I would rate the interior an 8.5/ 10. The interior was very comfortable and had all the amenities that I could possibly ask for. The interior also had a very high quality to it as well. The interior was very quiet and barely allowed any outside unwanted noise to be heard. But when comparing the look of the interior to other cars in its price range, the M3 fell short of the expensive luxury look that some of the other vehicles had. Such as the Porsche and Audi RS5.
-I rated the exterior a 9.5/10. With the BMW Performance accessories, such as the carbon fiber front splitters, mirrors, roof, and spoiler, the M3 had a very aggressive/sports car look to it. The exterior was beautiful and had a nice balance of aggressiveness and luxury.
- I rated the DCT Transmission a 10/10 because it was just perfect in every way. The DCT Transmission was second to non and shifted perfectly. The DCT Transmission was my favorite thing about the M3.
-I rated the engine a 8.5/10 because although it had an immense amount of high end power from its 4.0 liter V8, it lacked the torque and low to mid range power of today's supercharged and turbocharged engines. The engine was very powerful at high rpm use. Although, even with the addition of VF Engineering's VF540 supercharger kit, the M3's torque and low to mid range performance left me always craving much more. The supercharger kit gave the M3 a decent amount of mid range power but the high rpm range is where I really noticed the difference in power from the supercharger kit.
-I want to note the BIGGEST reason why I sold the M3 and went with the Nissan GTR. "TRACTION". I rated the traction of the M3 a 6.5/10. Although the M3 had a ton of power and was a blast to drive on the highway, it just didn't have ANY traction. With the addition of the supercharger, the M3 simply could not put the power to the ground. I found myself constantly drifting the car when I didn't intend to and spinning the tires with the smallest amount of throttle in 1st and 2nd gear. The Nissan GTR, with its AWD system, does not have this problem and puts the power to the ground with perfection.

-Overall, I was very pleased with the M3 and would rate the car a 8.5/10. I would have rated it a 10/10 but the lack of traction, torque, and low to mid range performance was very difficult to overlook considering I do most of my driving on back roads in Connecticut.

On the other hand the Nissan GTR has a beautiful interior, exterior, and obviously engine/transmission. The interior is a little louder than the M3 and the ride is a bit stiffer but other than that the GTR is a better all around car than the M3 by far. I am very happy with my decision and if anyone is thinking about going from a BMW M3 to a Nissan GTR, I 100% recommend it!!!

Hope this helps anyone deciding to go from a BMW M3 to a Nissan GTR.
      03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #144
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrap View Post
I recently sold my 2011 Alpine White M3 with VF Engineering VF540 supercharger kit for a 13' Nissan GTR Black Edition and can't be more happy with my decision!

-The M3 was a beautiful car inside and out.
-I would rate the interior an 8.5/ 10. The interior was very comfortable and had all the amenities that I could possibly ask for. The interior also had a very high quality to it as well. The interior was very quiet and barely allowed any outside unwanted noise to be heard. But when comparing the look of the interior to other cars in its price range, the M3 fell short of the expensive luxury look that some of the other vehicles had. Such as the Porsche and Audi RS5.
-I rated the exterior a 9.5/10. With the BMW Performance accessories, such as the carbon fiber front splitters, mirrors, roof, and spoiler, the M3 had a very aggressive/sports car look to it. The exterior was beautiful and had a nice balance of aggressiveness and luxury.
- I rated the DCT Transmission a 10/10 because it was just perfect in every way. The DCT Transmission was second to non and shifted perfectly. The DCT Transmission was my favorite thing about the M3.
-I rated the engine a 8.5/10 because although it had an immense amount of high end power from its 4.0 liter V8, it lacked the torque and low to mid range power of today's supercharged and turbocharged engines. The engine was very powerful at high rpm use. Although, even with the addition of VF Engineering's VF540 supercharger kit, the M3's torque and low to mid range performance left me always craving much more. The supercharger kit gave the M3 a decent amount of mid range power but the high rpm range is where I really noticed the difference in power from the supercharger kit.
-I want to note the BIGGEST reason why I sold the M3 and went with the Nissan GTR. "TRACTION". I rated the traction of the M3 a 6.5/10. Although the M3 had a ton of power and was a blast to drive on the highway, it just didn't have ANY traction. With the addition of the supercharger, the M3 simply could not put the power to the ground. I found myself constantly drifting the car when I didn't intend to and spinning the tires with the smallest amount of throttle in 1st and 2nd gear. The Nissan GTR, with its AWD system, does not have this problem and puts the power to the ground with perfection.

-Overall, I was very pleased with the M3 and would rate the car a 8.5/10. I would have rated it a 10/10 but the lack of traction, torque, and low to mid range performance was very difficult to overlook considering I do most of my driving on back roads in Connecticut.

On the other hand the Nissan GTR has a beautiful interior, exterior, and obviously engine/transmission. The interior is a little louder than the M3 and the ride is a bit stiffer but other than that the GTR is a better all around car than the M3 by far. I am very happy with my decision and if anyone is thinking about going from a BMW M3 to a Nissan GTR, I 100% recommend it!!!

Hope this helps anyone deciding to go from a BMW M3 to a Nissan GTR.
Great review!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #145
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I didn't leave my M3
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #146
jfreisen1
Enjoy the Ultimate Driving Experience "M POWER"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ Dinan upgrades

Very thoughtful review. Very nice to point out what you thought was plus and minus. I did exactly the opposite and sold my 2010 GTR to purchase an 2011 M3, mineral white with competition package and full Dinan upgrades.
I completely agree about the BMW engine "lacks of" compared to vehicles in it price range. The reason I switched. My GTR was falling apart. If you put it on the track and race it as hard as an M3. I guarantee you will be in the shop tightening and replacing almost every part in less than one year. Just driving hard on the road, no problem. But put it in a Nasa TT races with 4 seasons a day for a weekend and once or twice a month at different tracks. You will find, it is not the car you thought. My M3 takes the abuse day after day and says, "is that all you got". Of course brakes and tires need replacement. The GTR is faster, agreed. But after 3 transmissions, 3 turbos, dash cluster, rear end complete replacement, awd gear box, Oil pump, and two power steering pumps, fighting everytime with the Nissan dealer for a warranty at only 14k miles. I gave up. It was like a Jaguar, in the shop more than in my garage or at the track. I really wish you the best and hope you never have a problem. I heard Nissan fixed those problems for 2013. But then again, they said the same from 09 to 2010. When I bought mine. I just don't want to spend 90k to find out again.
(BTW) I drive a 2010 Maxima as my daily driver, my 2011 M3 is just for the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #147
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreisen1
Very thoughtful review. Very nice to point out what you thought was plus and minus. I did exactly the opposite and sold my 2010 GTR to purchase an 2011 M3, mineral white with competition package and full Dinan upgrades.
I completely agree about the BMW engine "lacks of" compared to vehicles in it price range. The reason I switched. My GTR was falling apart. If you put it on the track and race it as hard as an M3. I guarantee you will be in the shop tightening and replacing almost every part in less than one year. Just driving hard on the road, no problem. But put it in a Nasa TT races with 4 seasons a day for a weekend and once or twice a month at different tracks. You will find, it is not the car you thought. My M3 takes the abuse day after day and says, "is that all you got". Of course brakes and tires need replacement. The GTR is faster, agreed. But after 3 transmissions, 3 turbos, dash cluster, rear end complete replacement, awd gear box, Oil pump, and two power steering pumps, fighting everytime with the Nissan dealer for a warranty at only 14k miles. I gave up. It was like a Jaguar, in the shop more than in my garage or at the track. I really wish you the best and hope you never have a problem. I heard Nissan fixed those problems for 2013. But then again, they said the same from 09 to 2010. When I bought mine. I just don't want to spend 90k to find out again.
(BTW) I drive a 2010 Maxima as my daily driver, my 2011 M3 is just for the track.
i would like to hear more gtr stories like this. Reading stuff like this will keep me in my m3 longer. i was just looking at swapping for a pturbo or gtr.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Last edited by Wendall; 03-05-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #148
anthonyrap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 competition package

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreisen1 View Post
I do agree with you on the build quality of the M3 though. It definitely can take some serious abuse without any problems.

Luckily, I don't have any plans on tracking the GTR. It's going to be used as a weekend/nice day car, go to meets, etc. I've heard a lot of bad things about the GTR and thats why I waited to purchase the 13' compared to the other years. Hopefully Nissan really did fix the problems and will stick by their word from now on! My dealer told me as far as warranties go, "If you don't turn off the traction control button then everything will be warrantied no matter the abuse.You can keep it on R mode but if you turn the traction button to off and something happens your shit out of luck".

So I guess that traction button is going to be glued to the on position.
      03-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #149
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrap View Post
My dealer told me as far as warranties go, "If you don't turn off the traction control button then everything will be warrantied no matter the abuse.You can keep it on R mode but if you turn the traction button to off and something happens your shit out of luck".

So I guess that traction button is going to be glued to the on position.
^^^

That's pretty weak from the dealer IMO.

Good luck with the gtr , but seriously, traction off = warranty gone?

Love the gtr though!
      03-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #150
elgolfman
OEM3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3, 11 335i, 10 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark896 View Post
Agreed, the only reason I'm eyeing something else is because of the usable torque--I hate having to wring the neck of my car to get to the balls of it. Love the car though.. And no, I don't want to put a blower on it.
Interesting way to put it – but true. You definitely need some runway…
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #151
elgolfman
OEM3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3, 11 335i, 10 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
I too was shocked how little torque the M3 has..but not that I have gotten use to winding the motor up..its not that big a deal..more motivation to stay alert and be in the right gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnscot View Post
Torque!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
That's what I keep telling the spec miata crowd, but as most here know, that means little on a racetrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
M3 has good torque, what are u guys babbling about?
These are all good points. I can only speak to the 335i which cannot compete with the M3 once it’s rolling. The M3 is so much more powerful and keeps going and going without needing a gear change. The 335 begins to weaken when pressed – less high end torque. The M3 is no slouch off the go either. Sry OP, off topic - i switched to an M3, not from...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #152
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Too expensive, too big, too soft, steering too light. Clutch is way too light and travel sucks, the shifter is clearly an afterthought with poor throws. Maybe these weren't a big deal but for my monthly payments it was getting a bit annoying. I miss the engine, but that's about it. Loving my E36. S/C goes on this week. But the car I miss the most is still a bone stock E46 M3.

Caveat: the track in my city went away. So without a track, the E9x M3 is slightly less justifiable.
      04-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #153
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Too expensive, too big, too soft, steering too light. Clutch is way too light and travel sucks, the shifter is clearly an afterthought with poor throws. Maybe these weren't a big deal but for my monthly payments it was getting a bit annoying. I miss the engine, but that's about it. Loving my E36. S/C goes on this week. But the car I miss the most is still a bone stock E46 M3.

Caveat: the track in my city went away. So without a track, the E9x M3 is slightly less justifiable.
Wow that's too bad. It's crazy that Calgary doesn't have a track but Halifax does!! Guess I can never move to Calgary.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #154
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Wow that's too bad. It's crazy that Calgary doesn't have a track but Halifax does!! Guess I can never move to Calgary.
It's beyond disappointing. The public here does not understand racing, and associates it with the negative connotations of street racing. As such, there is virtually no public support for a track. Without any city initiative, and a bunch of uncommitted potential investors, a track won't be built here for a long time.