BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

04-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
r3zon8
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 AW

BMW Performance Wheel V2 compatibility with DCT

Im getting mixed info on how well the PSWII(electronic version) works with DCT models.The two issues are 1. settings not stored and 2. no RPM readout

issue 1 gets resolved by tapping the JBE or CAS module as the wheel control module needs constant power, NOT switched.
issue 2 seems on-going. the wheel will lose RPM reading sporadically and needs a powercycle/reset to begin working again.

Aside from the two issues its a straightforward install as per the few DIY guides I've seen on the forum. is that about right? ...I'm trying to decide if i can live with the issues with the wheel before i pull the trigger on one.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Merq
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
This was bothering me for a while because I would constantly need to unplug my battery to get the RPM reading to work again. Here's my workaround for getting the wheel working with my DCT model. It works for me because I don't need to change settings that often:

1. Install wheel using JBE or CAS module. Save desired settings.
2. Change installation to use cigarette lighter. Old settings carry over from when wheel was installed using the JBE or CAS module.

Now since the wheel is using switched power, it pretty much power cycles the wheel each time the car is turned off and on. This takes care of the annoying RPM issue.

Again, it's not a perfect workaround as you compromise the flexibility of changing the settings. For me though, the shift lights working 100% is enough to get me to use this method.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I never had either of these issues. I used an add-a-fuse into the fusebox and use the ground bolt near the fusebox. I had it hooked up that way from day 1 and never had a single issue!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
I never had either of these issues. I used an add-a-fuse into the fusebox and use the ground bolt near the fusebox. I had it hooked up that way from day 1 and never had a single issue!
could you explain it a little bit further?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NELSON.MLGB View Post
could you explain it a little bit further?
Heres a pic of which fuse spot to use (the right-most one):

and there's only 1 bolt around the fuse box to ground to.
Appreciate 0