BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
brandonwuwux3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3cs

california exhaust sound regulation

so as some of you know i had a state ref ticket a while back and when i went to get emmission and sound check i learned that the stock exhaust on a m3 measured out to be 94.9DB and california standard is 95db. so basically is there no legal aftermarket exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Technically in California it is illegal to modify your engine whatsoever. I was pulled over for a modified exhaust, but let go. Everyone does it, but still it sucks to drive around and get timid when a cop is around.
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

That has to be a seriously bored cop to go after someone for an exhaust. Unless you're running open headers or stomping on the gas it's just not that loud. Harleys and custom choppers are a lot louder. If the cops went after people with "loud" exhausts at Cars and Coffee or in Malibu they'd have to ticket everybody.
      07-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Speaking from "experience", check out California Vehicle Code 27151(a) and (b).

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Yes, a police officer may stop you for modified exhaust. Mostly, its always a correctable citation. Worst case, change out to stock, get insected, signed off, pay correction fee, put your exh back on. As long as your cool and respectul to the popo, I dont see how someone would give you a ticket..... You can always try to pull the, "I bought it this way," but if he runs your record and finds that your the only listed owner and none previous, he may get pissed....

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
Yes, a police officer may stop you for modified exhaust. Mostly, its always a correctable citation. Worst case, change out to stock, get insected, signed off, pay correction fee, put your exh back on. As long as your cool and respectul to the popo, I dont see how someone would give you a ticket..... You can always try to pull the, "I bought it this way," but if he runs your record and finds that your the only listed owner and none previous, he may get pissed....
car could be a demo and it won't have a registered owner

I've seen modified demos.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

The exhaust systems with the electric cutouts are always an option. Go back to stock sound at the push of a button
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

they need to crack down on the Harleys, some of them are the crazy and unreasonable loud. Leave us car guys alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
they need to crack down on the Harleys, some of them are the crazy and unreasonable loud. Leave us car guys alone.
I think Harley has an agreement that their bikes are exempt

if a car is loud stock it's legal (like a Ferrari is much louder than a M3 stock for stock)
Appreciate 0