BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
wchow16
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

3M on Alpine White? Yeah or Neah?

3M usually yellows over time. It's most noticeable on White. However without it your paint will get rock chips. I just need some feedback to all the Alpine White owners. I will use this feedback to make a decision with my car.

Do you regret applying it now that it has started to yellow? Yes or no please explain.

Do you regret not applying it now that you are getting rock chip? Yes or no please explain.

Thanks everyone.

Will
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
I've got Ventureshield on my M3 although its only been on for a month. My installer says that it'll take 4-5 years before it noticably yellows. I had a custom job done with full hood, fenders, bumpers and mirrors and unless you know where to look you wont notice it. I'll gladly replace it in 4-5 years knowing that chips will be minimized. My last car didn't have a clear bra and after two years the poor thing looked awful. Replacing clear bra in most cases is probably cheaper than repainting, and will help retain the value of the car since you wont have to explain why some panels were repainted.

Last edited by sawzall; 08-30-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Many newer clear bra's are more advance and will not oxidize as quick. You might want to research it a little and you will find what your looking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

I looked for a clear bra alternative for Alpine White. I couldn't find an acceptable alternative. It's hard to make it look decent on AW. Any other color it's a no brainer. I went to a highly recommended installer who does some very high end equipment for the last 10 years. I just couldn't get past how bad it looked on AW.
      08-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

I am also debating it as well. I think I can deal with a little of the yellowing over time. Rock chips drive me nuts!!! It just ruins the paint..and how many people are actually going to get the car repainted after 5 years? I doubt many..but i could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
WillC310
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A car

Repainting means the car needs to be out for multiple days. New clear bra is a few hours unless you're doing some crazy all-around car wrap.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
My Venture shield installer told me that the material has a slight yellow tint to it right out of the gate. I went through this with my last white BMW. If you are the type of person that notices paint color discrepancies (like me) this will make you nuts on AW.
      08-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I have it on mine and looks no different than it is on my space gray....

I would rather re-do the clear bra in 3-4 years vs. repainting the car..... That is a no brainier for me.... I also got the rocker panels covered since they are 1st to get destroyed.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 08-31-2010 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
My Venture shield installer told me that the material has a slight yellow tint to it right out of the gate. I went through this with my last white BMW. If you are the type of person that notices paint color discrepancies (like me) this will make you nuts on AW.
There is no tint as far as I can tell. If it was anything but perfectly clear, it would have been a deal breaker for me. From any distance, when looking at my AW car, you can't tell that there is a clear bra on. Only when you look super close for seams, will you notice anything, but you definitely don't see changes in colours between the panels.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
There is no tint as far as I can tell. If it was anything but perfectly clear, it would have been a deal breaker for me. From any distance, when looking at my AW car, you can't tell that there is a clear bra on. Only when you look super close for seams, will you notice anything, but you definitely don't see changes in colours between the panels.
That's good info!
      08-31-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

No, it turns yellow

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
Captain Slow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' M3 Convertible

STAY AWAY!

I read several people's accounts regarding yellowing, so did test strips for the rocker panels and rear quarters with the idea if it turned out ok, would cover the whole car.

Ventureshield turned yellow on my AW in 3 months. The problem is the film. For whatever chemical reason, the film reacts with AW, and I speak specifically with AW, and turns yellow.

My installer is one of the best, has done work on all exotics and always turns our great, so in this case its the arrow not the indian.

Conclusion: if you have AW, ventureshield/3m film is NOT a viable option, unless you like the look of someone having pissed on your car...
      09-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
htp autoworks
Private
Rep
Drives: A fast one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
STAY AWAY!

I read several people's accounts regarding yellowing, so did test strips for the rocker panels and rear quarters with the idea if it turned out ok, would cover the whole car.

Ventureshield turned yellow on my AW in 3 months. The problem is the film. For whatever chemical reason, the film reacts with AW, and I speak specifically with AW, and turns yellow.

My installer is one of the best, has done work on all exotics and always turns our great, so in this case its the arrow not the indian.

Conclusion: if you have AW, ventureshield/3m film is NOT a viable option, unless you like the look of someone having pissed on your car...
??? It has a chemical reaction with white??? Wow. I have never heard that one before. 9 times out of 10 the reason why films yellow is from poor maintenance. People just use any old wax on the film... or none at all... adn the film will yellow. Most cheap waxes out there yellow over time. Well the film will absorb whatever you put on it. So as the wax yellows the film will look yellow. If you dont beleive me wash your car with Dawn and see the yellow wax come off and float on the water. using a sealant will make a world of difference with any film. After yeas of installing Venture on white cars I have yet to see one yellow. There is a new film out that looks much better than Venture. Avery Denison has their Nano Fusion film out. its a great film and the top coat material they ues is embedded throughout the material. I would HIGHLY recommend using that film on white... or Venture Ultra with a good sealant.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
Dustin@AEp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

My venture shield is hardly noticable, unlike 3M which looks like orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
??? It has a chemical reaction with white??? Wow. I have never heard that one before. 9 times out of 10 the reason why films yellow is from poor maintenance. People just use any old wax on the film... or none at all... adn the film will yellow. Most cheap waxes out there yellow over time. Well the film will absorb whatever you put on it. So as the wax yellows the film will look yellow. If you dont beleive me wash your car with Dawn and see the yellow wax come off and float on the water. using a sealant will make a world of difference with any film. After yeas of installing Venture on white cars I have yet to see one yellow. There is a new film out that looks much better than Venture. Avery Denison has their Nano Fusion film out. its a great film and the top coat material they ues is embedded throughout the material. I would HIGHLY recommend using that film on white... or Venture Ultra with a good sealant.

The yellowing isn't oxidation, but the lack of a long lasting UV inhibitor.