BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

ESS SC owners - Traction question.

I have the 575 kit on a new 6MT M3 with the full akra evo exhaust. Car has never been dyno'd but I plan to do it fairly soon.

When the temps were a bit cooler, I'd lose traction on straightaways (good roads, stock tires - 265s) I'm in Utah at 4000' elevation. For the most part, the only time I'd lose traction was at around 6k and above in first when the pedal was totally mashed... and a bit at the beginning of 2nd.

After a couple months of use - no problems with the kit and the car feels strong and fast. (No complaints) However, I have noticed that I have been unable to break the tires lose at the top of first in a straight line. (with balder tires, etc)

It's gotten a bit hotter and the asphalt is a bit warmer....the car might feel a touch slower....but it doesn't seem to me that the temperature change would make that much difference?
I realize that because I'm up at a higher elevation, I'm not going to make as much power as some of the 93 octane kits....

Just looking for some baselines from others... Wondering how traction is on other 6MTs. Especially the 535 and 575 kits. Thanks for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Interesting. I have no issues breaking tires loose on my completely stock M. Driver error?
      07-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
I have the 575 kit on a new 6MT M3 with the full akra evo exhaust. Car has never been dyno'd but I plan to do it fairly soon.

When the temps were a bit cooler, I'd lose traction on straightaways (good roads, stock tires - 265s) I'm in Utah at 4000' elevation. For the most part, the only time I'd lose traction was at around 6k and above in first when the pedal was totally mashed... and a bit at the beginning of 2nd.

After a couple months of use - no problems with the kit and the car feels strong and fast. (No complaints) However, I have noticed that I have been unable to break the tires lose at the top of first in a straight line. (with balder tires, etc)

It's gotten a bit hotter and the asphalt is a bit warmer....the car might feel a touch slower....but it doesn't seem to me that the temperature change would make that much difference?
I realize that because I'm up at a higher elevation, I'm not going to make as much power as some of the 93 octane kits....

Just looking for some baselines from others... Wondering how traction is on other 6MTs. Especially the 535 and 575 kits. Thanks for your thoughts.
Temp,Humidity and all that affects any car and more FI cars.
FI cars like colder and lower temp dry weather since the air is denser and requires more fuel to burn and you are boosting.so its a common thing to lose some HP when it gets hotter outside.i personaly dont get on my car in 1st gear but i get no traction in 2nd and partial 3rd with new tires in the rear 285s with DSC off in cold weather,but traction gets better as the tires warm up and it gets warmer outside.
If your tires are bald,they are almost like slicks and in hot weather they will grip better than cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Wes Howell
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Interesting. I have no issues breaking tires loose on my completely stock M. Driver error?
As I said - in a straight line on a good road - no dropping the clutch (obviously)

Maybe your m3 shipped with 600 hp!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Wes Howell
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Temp,Humidity and all that affects any car and more FI cars.
FI cars like colder and lower temp dry weather since the air is denser and requires more fuel to burn and you are boosting.so its a common thing to lose some HP when it gets hotter outside.i personaly dont get on my car in 1st gear but i get no traction in 2nd and partial 3rd with new tires in the rear 285s with DSC off in cold weather,but traction gets better as the tires warm up and it gets warmer outside.
If your tires are bald,they are almost like slicks and in hot weather they will grip better than cold weather.
Thanks for the response. Tires aren't bald.... car still feels plenty fast. Pulled on a GT-R the other day. So I don't think there are major problems here...possibly a slight loss of power.

I chatted with Roman and he mentioned the smartest thing would be to dyno it which I plan on doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
I think the warmer weather might cause the SC to make less power and you're tires might be sticking more to the asphalt which is why you're not breaking the tires loose like when it's cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
As I said - in a straight line on a good road - no dropping the clutch (obviously)

Maybe your m3 shipped with 600 hp!
it's probably cause I got ZCP
      07-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

...TC kicks in most of the way in 1st & part of 2nd and 3rd on my VT-535 with a wide open throttle. Car dyno'd @ 489whp...this is on stock PS2's (waiting to burn through em to get something more sticky).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Tires aren't bald.... car still feels plenty fast. Pulled on a GT-R the other day. So I don't think there are major problems here...possibly a slight loss of power.

I chatted with Roman and he mentioned the smartest thing would be to dyno it which I plan on doing.
Dyno would be great and also as you can see what i posted before that the hotter it gets out,the more power you lose !
Appreciate 0