BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

03-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Any more updates?
Still enjoying them. I went for a spin in the hills this weekend and continue to be impressed.
I'll probably be pretty active in NASA tt this year and will have results and data logging to share as the season progresses.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #24
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Do they feel, ride and handle much better then your old Motons?
      03-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do they feel, ride and handle much better then your old Motons?
It's hard for me to compare them against the Motons because I never really got the Motons to work on the car, but I'd say they're pretty darn close!

The AST's and Motons have a very different feel to them in terms of ride quality - not sure if I would say one is better than the other, just different.

As far as adjustablilty, they both satisfy both ends of the spectrum really well and provide a (relatively) comfy street ride AND solid track performance. The Moton's 'clicks' made more of a difference but I found the less sentive AST clicks easier to dial in. I sometimes felt like the sweetspot of the motons would have been in between adjustment clicks.

Stalker, did you get your JRZ's yet? It will be interesting to see how those stack up too!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #26
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
It's hard for me to compare them against the Motons because I never really got the Motons to work on the car, but I'd say they're pretty darn close!

The AST's and Motons have a very different feel to them in terms of ride quality - not sure if I would say one is better than the other, just different.

As far as adjustablilty, they both satisfy both ends of the spectrum really well and provide a (relatively) comfy street ride AND solid track performance. The Moton's 'clicks' made more of a difference but I found the less sentive AST clicks easier to dial in. I sometimes felt like the sweetspot of the motons would have been in between adjustment clicks.

Stalker, did you get your JRZ's yet? It will be interesting to see how those stack up too!
Still waiting.
Last I heard they were making a few changes to the camber plates, that is what is holding things up.
      03-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
thanks for the review!! it would be to hear how these compare to the JRZ RSs in performance!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #28
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

On the street, is the ride "bouncy" at all? I know we don't know your spring rates, so that will be a big variable.

Did AST get the bump stops right in your opinion?

Did you experience any snap on oversteer at the track, is the rear end planted through the apex?
      03-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #29
masitr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

How does the car ride on the street?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #30
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
On the street, is the ride "bouncy" at all? I know we don't know your spring rates, so that will be a big variable.

Did you experience any snap on oversteer at the track, is the rear end planted through the apex?
I don't believe the bump stop is the issue here. Most of the suspension manufactures and tuners did not take the much lowered ride height and reduced compression travel into consideration and simply use standard body rear dampers, which offer plenty of compression travel at oem ride height, but greatly reduced when a vehicle is lowered too much.

One thing to keep in mind is that lower is not better here. And we all know what happens when your run your M3 too low.

You can trim the bump stops(not a good idea as bump stops serves as secondary springs and most importantly to prevent bottoming of your dampers), using shorter compression damper cushions(you are not gaining much here, a few mm's at best), the better or maybe the best solution is to use a short body damper.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #31
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
They're monotube double adjustable. Rebound is on the top and compression is on the bottom. The adjustment clicks are very positive and solid feeling too.

Here is a picture of the camber plate.
Are you sure they are monotube? The AST site says that the 4200 are twintube.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #32
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, I could swear I answered your questions but I don't see the post.

The car is not bouncy even with 600+ springs. Also no issues with bumpstops like the motons and no snap oversteer.

CSMRX7, They're definitely monotube. Show me the link that says they are twin tube.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #33
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

The car is not bouncy even with 600+ springs. Also no issues with bumpstops like the motons and no snap oversteer.

CSMRX7, They're definitely monotube. Show me the link that says they are twin tube.
      04-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #34
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

If your rear dampers were to sit on the bump stop and fully compress it, then the car is likely to go into snap oversteer. It's okay to touch or even compress the bump stops slightly through a corner.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #35
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

RickyBobby, did you consider the 5100 series as well when you purchased these?
      04-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #36
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
I had 5200's on my 135i (with M3 rear camber links) and will be upgrading to 5300's and putting them on my E90 M3. Been working with Harold and settled on 500#/800# setup. OP, do you happen to know the lengths of your springs and are you willing to disclose your spring rates?

FWIW, I too am sold on these dampers with the swift springs. The ride on the street is incredible and the performance is definitely there!!
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #37
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Stalker, I didn't consider the 5100's because I wanted double adjustable shocks. The 5200's weren't available yet so I got the 4200's. I may have splurged for the 5200's if they were an option at the time but they do add a considerable amount of cost and NASA TT points for the marginal performance gain. No regrets with the 4200's..

Justin, congrats on the M3. Front springs should be 7" and the rears should be 9" total lengh (8" w/ helper or 9" depending on rates). I'm not sure I believe in any of the magic that people are claiming with the swift springs. I have run both swift and hyperco on the AST's and felt no difference at all. When held side by side, they both had the same number of coils and looked pretty darn close in wire diameter. They're both top notch springs but do not have any bearing on the ride quality like the marketing martial suggests.

I knocked off a 2:01 at thunderhill last weekend all while locking up the rears due to being sent the wrong front brake pads. I can't wait to go back next month with the right pads.

I do have to report that I just took off one shock to send back for warranty repair due to leaking. I'm sure it will be turned around very quickly and I'll be back on the road in no time.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 04-25-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #38
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
Quote:
Stalker, I didn't consider the 5100's because I wanted double adjustable shocks. The 5200's weren't available yet so I got the 4200's. I may have splurged for the 5200's if they were an option at the time but they do add a considerable amount of cost and NASA TT points for the marginal performance gain. No regrets with the 4200's..

Justin, congrats on the M3. Front springs should be 7" and the rears should be 9" total lengh (8" w/ helper or 9" depending on rates). I'm not sure I believe in any of the magic that people are claiming with the swift springs. I have run both swift and hyperco on the AST's and felt no difference at all. When held side by side, they both had the same number of coils and looked pretty darn close in wire diameter. They're both top notch springs but do not have any bearing on the ride quality like the marketing martial suggests.

I knocked off a 2:01 at thunderhill last weekend all while locking up the rears due to being sent the wrong front brake pads. I can't wait to go back next month with the right pads.

I do have to report that I just took off one shock to send back for warranty repair due to leaking. I'm sure it will be turned around very quickly and I'll be back on the road in no time.
RickyBobby, thanks for the reply. I've got 8" springs with helpers on the rear I believe from my 1 series. I'll go with the 7" springs and add a helper if the spring is loose at full droop. I really think these dampers are amazing!
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #39
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the for the feedback.
Hopefully they get a new shock out to you fast.

Did they tell you exactly what the problem is??
      04-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #40
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

I'm sending it back today so I'm not sure of the root cause. It's covered under warranty with the promise to get it back to me before my next (double points) event so all is good as far as I'm concerned.

I'll post back when I break 2 minutes next month.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #41
m_parade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Would you say this setup is comparable/more advanced than the KW Clubsport?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #42
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRX7 View Post
Are you sure they are monotube? The AST site says that the 4200 are twintube.
What they mean by "twin tube" is:
If the shock is "Double-Adjustable", but does NOT have an external reservoir canister .. it is considered a "twin-tube" design.

True Double-Adjustable 'Monotube' shocks usually have an external reservoir canister (2 Monotube shocks = Dual-Adj)

http://www.ast-usa.com/ast-4200-shoc...ilover-kit.php

AST-USA are calling it a "monotube" design ... with "INTERNAL DOUBLES" ??
Thats basically "Twin-Tube"
So I myself am confused by the terminology at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:20 AM   #43
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
I'm sending it back today so I'm not sure of the root cause. It's covered under warranty with the promise to get it back to me before my next (double points) event so all is good as far as I'm concerned.

I'll post back when I break 2 minutes next month.
I've seen Advanced Design, Konis, Motons and JRZs leak ... so I dont think it's an 'exclusive' problem.
We have a 4200 kit for one of our e36m3 race cars on its way -- but its taking a bit, due to the true rear coilover setup
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #44
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

It is a single tube, monotube. It essentially has a reservoir in line
at the base of the shock. In circle track world they call it a base
valve. And it is pressurized.

A twin tube has concentric tubes and oil flows from one tube to the
other. In between the two tubes is a valve usually called a foot
valve. Twin tubes are rarely pressurized but those that are have the
gas mixed in the oil. That is called emulsion. AST 4200 keeps the gas
and oil separated.
Appreciate 0