BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #45
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

On arrived at dealer told another E9X suffered same failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yours is the first M3 case I've heard of also. Of course, since the M3 uses the same sunroof assembly as the 3 series, it is only logical that it would eventually happen to an M3.
What I surmised also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It seems at least theoretically possible. Obviously the glass is designed to tolerate many different types of weather conditions and temperatures, but they cannot test everything. Also, it is probably the case that 99%+ of the glass manufactured by the supplier will never have issues, but due to some very slight differences in manufacturing quality not all of the glass is equal. In other words if they have some range of tolerable variation in quality, perhaps the glass that falls in the lower end of that range are the the ones that are having issues. Combined with the "perfect storm" of weather and/or other environment conditions, and you end up with catastrophic failure. In theory, anyway.
Right. Does not make sense to make tempered glass to 99.999% (NASA) type quality as too expensive. And you know these cars are being tested in the Artic circle to a desert environment; and also subjected to rapid changes in temp. But that 1 in '000 (?) % probability of a catastrophic failure given the right environmental stresses and this shattering may result.

Car is now w/ local dealer. On arriving the service receiving rep said, "Another one!" So I ask, "Which car?" It was an E90, not an M3. But the guy told me the other car had come in recently so maybe the local temp shift had resulted in another failure?

All-in-all quite perturbing.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 01-24-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #46
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Am still in the same camp: I LOVE my moonroof, except when it explodes!
Yes, very true - At least you weren't hurt and it didn't cause an accident. This is the first time I have heard of this, did not realize this had been happening on occasion.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #47
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I think it was aliens trying to suck you out of the sunroof. Glad I got the CF. It's like kryptonite to them... Glad you're ok. A buddy of mine had that happen and he got a shard in his left eye. Seriously bad for him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #48
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I think it was aliens trying to suck you out of the sunroof. Glad I got the CF. It's like kryptonite to them... Glad you're ok. A buddy of mine had that happen and he got a shard in his left eye. Seriously bad for him...
As I drive to the dealer's y'day I wore glasses to try and protect my eyes: and yes, more pieces of glass fell into the cabin

I do feel fortunate I was not injured - sorry for your friend!

///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #49
joseph328
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S , E92 M3, Audi SQ8

Hey,

same happened to my friend on his E92 335i , he got it replaced for free under warranty , some kind of small rock fell of a truck and ... yeah

hope you'll get it replaced too
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #50
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #51
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
DAMN!
      01-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #52
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph328 View Post
Hey,

same happened to my friend on his E92 335i , he got it replaced for free under warranty , some kind of small rock fell of a truck and ... yeah

hope you'll get it replaced too
No truck, no rock. Was on an up-ramp doing about 10-15 mph. However, I will post on BMW NA's response which, monetarily was entirely satisfactory, explanation (admittedly as relayed by SA) not.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #53
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

OK, sorry about the quality but only had a phone camera handy after the roof failed (10 mins from office in rush-hour):

Last edited by Voltigeur; 01-23-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #54
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Conclusion

-

First, BMW NA was very responsive and when I called I was connected to a "Case" person. She was appropriately solicitous and also - as I'm sure they are trained to do - asked me whether I was injured when the 'roof exploded.

No. Grateful - both parties. No, simply that 'the God-like-thunderbolt crack and cascading glass scared the crap out of me!!"

All I sought was a warranty repair.

Second, there's no Service Bulletin[ SB] and hence this was deemed to be a non-warranty repair. I have seen this in some other posts termed as a "Goodwill" repair; and indeed, that's exactly the word that was written on my repairs' paperwork. Ahem, think BMW does not want a SB for this!

All good.

Less than good. I was left a vm by the SA who informed me that such an explosion may occur when (1) a sunroof is hit by an object (e.g. a stone) and (2) the aircon is in recirculation mode - creating pressure (do understand some science here).

Uh, OK.

At issue w/ the base scenario: (A) I was doing at most 15 mph on an entry ramp in rushhour and (B) the aircon was not on at the time as it was in the 50s F - indeed, when I picked up my ///M the aircon was not on. Thus, no requisite conditions - as explained by BMW NA to the SA - to create a systemic failure of the 'roof.

I had called the SA prior and started to mention this and he said, "I don't wan't to argue about ... blah blah" Well, I was not being argumentative, I merely articulated the above scenario and, hence, was trying to suggest that sometimes systemic failure may result in circumstances that do not follow the script of (1) & (2) above as had been suggested.

Bottom line: I do not want an SA pushing back when I have experienced an event that shocked / scared me and, given I did not have any dollars at issue. I had no reason to be adversarial: just desired to relay the circumstances of the event as a datapoint to BMW AG's engineers (though I'm certain the 'glass comes from a 3rd party supplier who applies the Roundel stamp).

Last, I had a loaner: there's a massive difference between and M-car and a fast 3er

Glad to have my ///M back. Oh, and the woman who dealt w/ my case at BMW NA was fantastic and I will call her Monday to thank her and relay my thoughts.

Safe driving fellow ///M-ers,

-- V

Last edited by Voltigeur; 01-23-2010 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #55
roflopter142
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 STi

I think a fat bird landed on your sunroof and then quickly flew away.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #56
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

tempered glass does not shrink much at low temperature but the car metal does. The joint should be able to absorb the difference unless it too gets hard at cold temp. It is poor choice of materials in the design allright.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #57
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

It either had a flaw, wasn't installed properly, or something hit it. Heat change won't cause this unless your talking a hundreds of degrees all at once. This isn't a coffee pot and I don't understand the recirculation line the SA tried to give you except for him trying to lay blame.

Years ago I worked in a tempered glass factory where I made custom glass. It wasn't unusual for the glass to explode, either when sitting on the racks or while being carried. It goes through an oven (over 1000 degrees) then blower to cool & sometimes there are unseen flaws, (slight runs) in the glass after it comes out.

If something hit it, I think that would be in your car. Like the rock I shot though my back window while cutting grass.

Unless you hit an edge, it's pretty solid. It could be that it wasn't installed properly, you hit a bump & the glass made contact with the frame. If this happened you'd be able to tell from the pattern of the broken glass. The glass would be smaller towards where it made contact. If not, the pattern would be similar in size around the edges & larger towards the middle.

So based on what you listed it was either faulty glass or improperly installed. Both should be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #58
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
It either had a flaw, wasn't installed properly, or something hit it. Heat change won't cause this unless your talking a hundreds of degrees all at once. This isn't a coffee pot and I don't understand the recirculation line the SA tried to give you except for him trying to lay blame.
I agree - I didn't get the recirc argument either. And that was supposedly what BMW. I say B/S to that.

Quote:
If something hit it, I think that would be in your car. Like the rock I shot though my back window while cutting grass.
No stones were found in the cabin.

Quote:
So based on what you listed it was either faulty glass or improperly installed. Both should be covered under warranty.
Nicely summarized and what I thought also. But as stated, BMW covered as a "goodwill" repair, not a warranty repair. My guess is they don't want to be inundated by broken sunroof claims if the circumstances are more in debate, ie foreign object hit the roof at speed.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #59
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Was it pretty sunny out the day it happened? I seem to remember another E90 post about an exploding sunroof and it had to do with it being cold in the cabin and solar reflection heating up the glass in the sunroof. I had a sunroof explode on a crap ford fiesta many years ago and it scared the hell out of me. I had glass shards in my scalp for months.

I hope this is the last problem you have with the M. It is the third by my count.
      01-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #60
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Woohoo glad I have no sunroof!!!!! Yeah that sucks that the sunroof shattered on you. Hopefully it will not happen again!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #61
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

At least you're ok..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #62
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Glad it all worked out for you, V. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head at others' rationalizations and simply move on (and hope it doesn't happen again).
      01-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #63
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

3 events - hopefully that's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Was it pretty sunny out the day it happened? I seem to remember another E90 post about an exploding sunroof and it had to do with it being cold in the cabin and solar reflection heating up the glass in the sunroof. I had a sunroof explode on a crap ford fiesta many years ago and it scared the hell out of me. I had glass shards in my scalp for months.

I hope this is the last problem you have with the M. It is the third by my count.
JohnnyR, great to see you!

Yes, it was sunny & clear: one of the benefits of living in my part of TX The morning was cold-ish (high 40s maybe?). Still, it can be much colder and also sunny in other places, e.g. Winnipeg!

I still think there had to be an imperceptible flaw in the 'roof that, given the right circumstances, resulted in the failure. Yes, also scared the shit out of me. I had to speak to a large audience 45 mins later and my delivery was not as focused as I would have desired.

You have a good memory mate:

1. Customs + speaker
2. Wanton scratching of the peerless Jerez paint
3. Exploding moonroof

Hope I'm done now w/ my ///M. Good news is the car drives/runs really well.

Thanks for your comments.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #64
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Glad it all worked out for you, V. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head at others' rationalizations and simply move on (and hope it doesn't happen again).
TL mate: nicely encapsulated. Still lovin' the sig photo of your Interlagos Blue contrasted w/ the red brick background.

We still need to get on a drive together w/ our M dreis.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:10 AM   #65
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

I must have missed this. Sorry about this bad incident, V. The advantage of being late in this thread is that I can congratulate on the repair at the same time.

Maybe the wrong time, but do you remember who wanted to talk you out of the moonroof.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #66
colinexl
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Sedan

Had the same thing happen to me today

Was just driving on the freeway doing 70 mph, windows closed, around mid 50's, no trucks, just open road and BAM, sunroof explodes outwards for no reason. Called my dealership and took the care in, they agreed to replace it for free and got a loaner car. Pretty good service overall. Props to BMW of Mountain View.
Appreciate 0