BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
appleguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray 09 E90 M3

Factory M3 Performance Exhaust Install $

Hi guys

I have ordered the OEM M3 Performance exhaust from Tischer and it should be arriving next week. I've called around to a couple of the local dealerships and have seen a wide range in quoted costs and install time. One dealership estimated $600 (2 hour install) for the install while the other one was in the $300 range.

I also called a local independent shop and they quoted me 45 minutes for install and under $100.

For those that have had cat back exhausts installed (preferably the OEM M3 Perf. Exhaust) what is a common install cost for this?

Also, if I have a independent shop install it, will BMW still honor the factory warranty that comes with the OEM Perf Exhaust?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy View Post
Hi guys

I have ordered the OEM M3 Performance exhaust from Tischer and it should be arriving next week. I've called around to a couple of the local dealerships and have seen a wide range in quoted costs and install time. One dealership estimated $600 (2 hour install) for the install while the other one was in the $300 range.

I also called a local independent shop and they quoted me 45 minutes for install and under $100.

For those that have had cat back exhausts installed (preferably the OEM M3 Perf. Exhaust) what is a common install cost for this?

Also, if I have a independent shop install it, will BMW still honor the factory warranty that comes with the OEM Perf Exhaust?

Thanks in advance
Wow. don't get do to a dealership. They won't "install" it any better than anyone else. Your local shop, if you trust them, can do it just for their labor rate. Any muffler install should be 1-1.5 hours (and depending on the shop, $115-$150 an hour). I'm not sure about the factory warranty, but I don't see how they could say it shouldn't be honored. - well I guess they can say whatever they want, but its stupid, it doesn't change it at all.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks in advance
I thought its a 2 year warranty if you have it installed after you buy your car (or the remainder of your factory warranty) and factory warranty if its installed at the time of delivery.

Straight from Tischer's post in the sponser's section

"M Performance parts are warranted for the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period when the installation occurs before the first delivery of a new vehicle. If the M Performance parts installation occurs after the first delivery, the accessory will be warranted for the balance of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period or two years and unlimited mileage from the date of installation, whichever one is greater."
      03-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I thought its a 2 year warranty if you have it installed after you buy your car (or the remainder of your factory warranty) and factory warranty if its installed at the time of delivery.

Straight from Tischer's post in the sponser's section

"M Performance parts are warranted for the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period when the installation occurs before the first delivery of a new vehicle. If the M Performance parts installation occurs after the first delivery, the accessory will be warranted for the balance of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period or two years and unlimited mileage from the date of installation, whichever one is greater."
Dinan has a better warranty on products for the BMW then BMW does for their own products for a BMW?
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [9.71]
My Akrapovic Evolution exhaust (from headers back) set me back $400 for install at my local auto shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
I'm not sure about the factory warranty, but I don't see how they could say it shouldn't be honored.
I have a story to tell you. Once upon a time, somebody from this board had his exhaust installed at a reputable shop, and the differential broke a few weeks later, after a BMW dealer installed the wrong parts, with reportedly $10K worth of damage. Anyway, it's a long story, but most of us know what happened: Shop removed the hanger brackets (much easier than trying to pry the hangers out of them), and probably forgot to tighten them, basically leaving the differential without 2 of its 3 mounting points. And my point is both an independent shop and a BMW dealer screwed up on the same car .

I'd rate an exhaust installation a 3 out of 10 in degree of difficulty, and between 2 people, it's a piece of cake. Invite a friend over, buy the pizza, and do it in an afternoon. All you need is a pair of ramps and and a 3/8" socket set with extensions. The new exhaust will be much easier to install than the old, since it's 3 pieces, rather than one. And much lighter. And you know things would be done right. Plus you can clean and detail the undercarriage, especially around the differential, to notice any leak in the future.

Even if you get the exhaust done by a dealer or shop, I'd inspect the job myself, so might as well just do it . Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Yes I remember reading this that's why I said BMW can say whatever they want really.... which is unfortunate. I just think its important to be careful with who you have work on your car, that's the first step to take in ensuring your car stays healthy
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
M3RMA
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks in advance
BMW lists the install at 45 minutes, so most dealers, including mine, charge 1 hour, if they are honest... I paid $ 114.00 for my installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
flipmeraz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 m3

I can help you install it. I did my AA exhaust in an hour or so. I'm a tech at mercedes and have access to a lift at my work. Let me know.

Last edited by flipmeraz; 03-31-2011 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

OP I see you're in the bay...call SonicMS..I'm sure they can and will do the install for you at a good price..
      03-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Dude if ur in socal la area ill do it... Just buy me lunch and some cold drinks and we are set..
      03-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
Dude if ur in socal la area ill do it... Just buy me lunch and some cold drinks and we are set..
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmeraz View Post
I can help you install it.
You'd be crazy not to jump on those offers. You'd learn, it'd be done better than any shop (you'll take your time), and FREE . My job is done here .
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Slip-On exhausts (such as the BMW Performance Exhaust) install is a piece of cake to DIY. I installed my Akra slip-on on my own with no help. The hardest part would probably be wrestling off the exhaust hangers. However, with the proper tools they will pop right out.

You should take up some of those offers above if you want some help to install it. It'll be fun to wrench on your own car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerM View Post
Slip-On exhausts (such as the BMW Performance Exhaust) install is a piece of cake to DIY. I installed my Akra slip-on on my own with no help. The hardest part would probably be wrestling off the exhaust hangers. However, with the proper tools they will pop right out.

You should take up some of those offers above if you want some help to install it. It'll be fun to wrench on your own car.
Agreed, much more fun to be involved with it yourself!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
Mavrick151
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Akrapovic Evolution exhaust ..... install was free since I did it my self. Do it and learn a thing or two
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RMA View Post
BMW lists the install at 45 minutes, so most dealers, including mine, charge 1 hour, if they are honest... I paid $ 114.00 for my installation.
Could please you provide the source of this info?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZTR View Post
My dealer said the install was 11/2 hours but I did not receive an extra invoice when I picked up the car.I like this exhaust a lot!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
appleguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray 09 E90 M3

First off, YOU ALL ROCK! I totally dig the brotherhood here on the forums.

Many thanks to everyone that offered help to install this for me. Totally awesome guys!!!

After doing some research, I found a DIY and I didnt realize how easy the cat back bolt on exhaust will be, so I'm going to tackle it myself with the help of a buddy.

Thanks again guys!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #19
flipmeraz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 m3

Quote:

Many thanks to everyone that offered help to install this for me. Totally awesome guys!!!

After doing some research, I found a DIY and I didnt realize how easy the cat back bolt on exhaust will be, so I'm going to tackle it myself with the help of a buddy.

Thanks again guys!

Cheers
Good luck and have fun
      04-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:

Thanks again guys!

Cheers
Exactly what I and many others did. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #21
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just installed my slip on Akra today.
Cost me 75 Dollars at my local shop.
those quotes you got are ridiculous
      04-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #22
M3RMA
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZTR View Post
Sure, it is stated in BMW's information release regarding the performance exhaust, the information sheet with links to videos has been posted a number of times here.
Appreciate 0