BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #45
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Audi R8's are by no means a poor man's or middle class persons anything. It's a car that runs in the mid to high $100k range which makes it a car for millionaires (or the financially retarded). An 09 Gallardo isn't that much more expensive as it stands so I'd take the G any day over the R8. I have seen Gallardos on the market with over 80k miles clocked on them so I'm sure they can take a beating and be used as a DD. I guess people don't DD their G's because they're worried about door-dings and such but that shouldn't stop someone from enjoying this wonderful car on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #46
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
I never said the r8 is a bad car. But as far as gearboxes i prefer manual anyway. The r8 is based on the gallardo chassis and frame and even the v10 is a detuned gallardo motor. So in a way the r8 is a budget gallardo for people who cant afford the real thing. The gallardo is still way better as a car and as a prestigious brand and status symbol.

And yes the 911 did start life as a higher performance beetl. Google it for yourself
I would take the R8 over the Gallardo for one simple reason. The nearest lambo dealer is 90 miles away from me, while the Audi dealer is 3 miles away from me. Makes the ownership experience so much easier and thus more enjoyable IMO.
      05-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #47
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I would take the R8 over the Gallardo for one simple reason. The nearest lambo dealer is 90 miles away from me, while the Audi dealer is 3 miles away from me. Makes the ownership experience so much easier and thus more enjoyable IMO.
FYI a Gallardo is pretty reasonably reliable and shares almost all components w/ it's Audi counterpart
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #48
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

What are you planning to do with it? Night out with the misses, track, show, trophy, pickup hookers?

Glad to see you moving up from our z4m days!

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #49
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Lambo and Ferrari are Supercars and they're pretty expensive. Zondas are hyper-cars which cost +$1 million. Ferrari 458 Italias and 430 Scuderias, and Lamborghini LP-560/70-4 (570 is the Superleggera) are the best super cars in my opinion.
i would tend to want to stick the mclaren in there as well. even if i could afford anything and everything i wouldnt own a lambo but would go for the audi r8, the ferrari 458 and 599 and porsche gt3 and gt2.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #50
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Good points again. I am looking for performance, looks, and some reliability. I know reliability is not what you look for with these types of vehicles which makes the Audi R8 very appealing.

I don't think the R8 is a poor mans anything. lol In reality the Audi R8 is considered an upper middle class sports car.

I have never been a Porsche fan at all. Can't get past their looks. It's just not me. HOWEVER, the one Porsche I would kill for would be a 2003 Porsche Carrara GT all blacked out. Way out of my price range though.

very good choice. one was apparently at the track this last week and i missed it. would have loved to hear that thing at full tilt on the front straight.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #51
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

CGT's were made only in 2005 and they are amazing. But at $330k you've got to pay to play. I saw one at my Porsche dealership last month and I heard it start up, oh man. Besides a Murcielago, very few things can match that start up.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #52
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890
I know a ton of Gallardo owners who have owned an M3. Maybe "switch to" is the wrong term? Most Gallardo owners I know have pretty heavy bank. It is very rarely "this or that"

Having done many a ride along I can say that the Gallardo is surprisingly easy to live with and actually pretty close to an R8 in a lot of ways. Neither of them are, IMO, even close to an M3 in terms of livability b/c an M3 is a normal car (4 seats, trunk, doesnt attract attention, etc)

If I lived in LA and worked as a Paramount executive, or was a doctor with a private practice and hidden parking spot, I'd have np daily driving either one of those though.

To *me* both the Gallardo and the R8 (and the 911 Turbo for that matter) are more exciting than the M3 pretty much down the line. More visceral, quicker, better sound track, better looking, exotic, equally engaging, etc. None of them have the same utility obviously.

One thing to keep in mind is you get *incomprehensible* attention in a Gallardo. I had this with the GTR (the GTR gets a *shocking* amount of attention) and its part of why I unloaded it. I also got it with my heavily modified, show car quality, NSX. The R8 is pretty bad also. The 911T is invisible. To me, I prefer invisible honestly (which is why im such a huge 911 fan) The 911 Turbo is a monster. It checks *every* box. It is fully respectable. The entire world knows its a Porsche and you get that cachet, but you don't get people following you 11 miles to a highway rest stop exit to wait for you to pull over and get gas so they can take pictures of the car. I've had that *actually happen* in the NSX and the GTR and I've had it happen during a ride along in a friends (really incredibly lime green... LOL) Gallardo
No lambos in the paramount executive lot. But there is a prius with fake double dual exhausts with lambo emblems and a license plate that says LAMBO in the side lot. I will post pics lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #53
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
Good points again. I am looking for performance, looks, and some reliability. I know reliability is not what you look for with these types of vehicles which makes the Audi R8 very appealing.

I don't think the R8 is a poor mans anything. lol In reality the Audi R8 is considered an upper middle class sports car.

I have never been a Porsche fan at all. Can't get past their looks. It's just not me. HOWEVER, the one Porsche I would kill for would be a 2003 Porsche Carrara GT all blacked out. Way out of my price range though.

very good choice. one was apparently at the track this last week and i missed it. would have loved to hear that thing at full tilt on the front straight.
Have you guys seen the youtube vids with the gt with straight pipes scaring the heck out of ppl on the sidewalks? Awesomeness. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #54
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #55
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
What are you planning to do with it? Night out with the misses, track, show, trophy, pickup hookers?

Glad to see you moving up from our z4m days!
I want it for a semi-daily driver when its not snowing. lol Run up to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead, Mt. Hood, you name it...

Just a car I have wanted for years and a few things fell into place allowing me to seriously look at them.

However, the E92 M3 grew on me from my Z4M and love the car but from time to time I miss my old NSX.

I would seriously look at a ZR1 as well. Crazy fast Corvette in stock trim.

Last edited by Endless619; 05-23-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #56
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
CGT's were made only in 2005 and they are amazing. But at $330k you've got to pay to play. I saw one at my Porsche dealership last month and I heard it start up, oh man. Besides a Murcielago, very few things can match that start up.
Porsche Carrera GTs I thought were released/unveiled in 2003 and only available in the US from 2004-2005. Worldwide they were available from 2003-2007 if I am not mistaken. I may be mistaken.

Quoted: "Released at the 2003 Geneva Auto Show, Porsche's Carrera GT was a final production version of the concept car first seen at the 2001 Paris Auto Salon. It was Porsche's first limited production supercar since 959 production stopped in 1988. At the time of launch, it was one of the few available products that rivaled the Ferrari Enzo."

No doubt though I would love to hear that car start up and to see it on a track would be nuts. I have seen like 3 on the roads the past 10 years, all in California.

Last edited by Endless619; 05-23-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #57
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Nothing can match that car in sound and few supercars today will touch in performance, still despite it being 10 years old.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #58
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
Gallardos are fun for a few weeks but will tire you out if you plan to drive it more than 5k miles a yr. E gear is just like the smg in the older M's. Acceptable if you only drive "spiritedly" unacceptable if you don't.

If your spending around 180 consider a DBS or 599
I would strongly disagree with this. I owned an e46 M3 with the SMG transmission, and found it pretty bad. In stark contrast, I find the Egear in the LP560 actually quite excellent - both driving daily, and on the track. The clutch take-up on the Egear is actually very smooth, and at redline, in Corsa mode, the shifts are shockingly violent. (I see this as a good thing). Overall, I find the Egear transmission amazing - VERY tractable in daily driving (I've put 10,000 miles on my LP560 in the past 1.5 years). There is no sense of the Egear "tiring" me out. None.
There are lots of people that decry the lack of a dual clutch transmission in Lambos. On the other hand, there are tons of people that would hate to see a dual clutch in their Lambo. If you like smooth, seamless shifting (like an automatic), sure - go with a dual-clutch. Me, I like the fact that I can feel what the transmission is doing, and to me, red-line shifts in the LP560 are one of life's great experiences. Do I prefer the Egear to the DCT in my previous e92 M3? No, but in my opinion, each transmission suits the respective cars to a T.
I read this comment and wondered if you had much seat time in an Egear-equipped car, and if so, whether you gave yourself a chance to acclimatize to it.

I wouldn't have my LP560 any other way.

I have driven R8s in their various iterations, and felt the car was not for me - it would be a great daily driver, but it is (surprisingly) and MUCH different animal than the Gallardo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Weird statement and I disagree regarding the R8.

I think Lambo's cater to a specific crowd. I've driven the Gallardo a couple of times and was underwhelmed. It is an incredible car no doubt, but I found it really didn't involve me much as a driver, it is more of a show piece.

The Gallardo convertible shines on the roads of southern france, or the streets of Miami, the GT3 belongs on the track. Different flavors...
Hmmmmm. Have you ever driven an LP560 on a track? After coming off an extensively modified e92 M3 (with mods geared towards track performance), I can safely say that the LP560 is electric driven near its limits. If you didn't find it "involving", perhaps you weren't able to explore its performance potential fully (apologies if this is not the case)? I changed up a ton of things in the e92 M3 so that I could achieve a feeling of "involvement". The LP560? Nada. And I love it on the track - even on an autocross track, where it is phenomenal. I guess "involvement" is a perceptual thing, and subjective.
I think if you were to drive the LP560 extensively, and hard, you would find it is far from simply "a show piece". I find this statement amusing, and perhaps borne out of a bit of naivity.
Regardless, to each his own.

To the original poster - the step over to an LP560 from the M3 is a vast chasm. You will be going from what I consider the best all-around sports car in the world, to something that even in stock form, will initially alarm you with its performance, then bring a massive grin to your face, each and every time you get behind the wheel, whether it's a quick spin to pick up milk, attacking a set of twisties on or off the track, or hammering up through the gears as you exit a hairpin on the track.

It's incredible. Don't let anyone tell you anything different.

Last edited by TTBear; 05-24-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #59
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Owners who went from an M3 to a Gallardo?

I'm sure there are just tons of them...
Lmao! Thinking the same thing here; this is a common switch, no? : /
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #60
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braap View Post
Lmao! Thinking the same thing here; this is a common switch, no? : /
From a used car perspective, yes. Already have gotten several PMs from owners that made the switch.

So for shits and giggles a new M3 is what $70,000+ and a used Gallardo is from $84,000-$169,000. So yeah, next step up. A 2009 its a huge step up but for a 2004 its almost the same range...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #61
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
From a used car perspective, yes. Already have gotten several PMs from owners that made the switch.

So for shits and giggles a new M3 is what $70,000+ and a used Gallardo is from $84,000-$169,000. So yeah, next step up. A 2009 its a huge step up but for a 2004 its almost the same range...
Maybe so. but it's a huge step down in terms of maintenance, reliability, insurance, and gas mileage. To be honest, with those kind of exotics, if you can't afford them new, then you can't afford them period. A 2004 lambo may have depreciated enough to be barely affordable, but its maintenance, parts, and labor haven't depreciated one bit. And at 9 years old, you can expect that is when parts begin to fail and need repairs.

And lets be honest, exotic car ownership is not just about the car but also about the lifestyle. If you don't have a private jet, don't vacation in Monaco, don't have a mansion, and still live in a rundown rental apartment, and drive a 2004 gallardo you can barely afford, then you won't get the recognition and respect exotic owners get. Instead, the only message you're sending is you're trying to hard to pose and impress others, and are living beyond your means.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #62
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
Maybe so. but it's a huge step down in terms of maintenance, reliability, insurance, and gas mileage. To be honest, with those kind of exotics, if you can't afford them new, then you can't afford them period. A 2004 lambo may have depreciated enough to be barely affordable, but its maintenance, parts, and labor haven't depreciated one bit. And at 9 years old, you can expect that is when parts begin to fail and need repairs.

And lets be honest, exotic car ownership is not just about the car but also about the lifestyle. If you don't have a private jet, don't vacation in Monaco, don't have a mansion, and still live in a rundown rental apartment, and drive a 2004 gallardo you can barely afford, then you won't get the recognition and respect exotic owners get. Instead, the only message you're sending is you're trying to hard to pose and impress others, and are living beyond your means.
Nice input but I am saying in general and I am looking at 2009 and up. I put 2004 down because I know several folks that made the switch to those years. Also thats your opinion. Nobody has said or trying to impress anyone. That has nothing to do with a dream and a goal. Some of us adults set goals in life and strive to achieve them. Once we do we move on to the next goal. Life is a constant learning experience for everyone and everyone has a different path they choose. Has nothing to do with living beyond your means.

Remember, you have no idea what some of us are worth and its really none of your business.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #63
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

I know of a doctor who makes around $1.2 million/year. Lives in a $3 million contemporary home he built last year and bought a 2009 LP560-4 for $190k soon after. He also has a 2008 Cayenne GTS, 2011 Audi S4, and he recently sold his E46 M3 for a 2013 ZCP E92 M3. Let's just say he's living the dream, lol. He's probably put only a thousand miles on the Gallardo since buying it an year ago and whenever I see him driving around, it's in his M3 (used to be the E46 and now it's obviously the E92). He loves the Gallardo but says the attention it gets can become tiring after a point.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #64
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

If I were buying a Lamborghini, it would be one of these....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lambo...1f246b&vxp=mtr

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

And here's the spec the guy I know has.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #65
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks... I found the other thread I was looking for thanks to a member on here.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #66
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Among all the other dumb stuff you have posted, I like the bold part.

Why you ask? Because there is no such thing as a 2006 911 turbo.
Haha...nice catch! Maybe he was special enough to get the very 1st and only 2006 model.
Appreciate 0